[R] Seattle Sounders 2003

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by sounderfan, Apr 6, 2003.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    The 2003 A-League Seattle Sounders have many challenges ahead of them. The "biggest" could be trying to make 68,000 seat Seahawks Stadium seem intimate for home games...It's a wonderful stadium with a true European Futbol feel, but huge huge huge for A-League matches.
    The second challenge is how to keep close to last year's win total. I think 17-18 wins would be great.
    The third seems clear: not to be eliminated so quickly during the playoffs.

Check out www.geocities.com/sounderfan/index.html

The Victory Lap is a Sounders Fanzine with links to other Sounders-related sites.

2. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

You need a picture of Benny Dargle to add to your memory lapse section. No sounders history would be complete without a picture of good ol' Benny Dargle.

3. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    How right you are! As the section grows I'll try to find a pic of Benny!
    By the way...There is talk of Seattle and MLS...but who would want to give up the Seattle-Vancouver-Portland rivalry in the A-League? Frankly, MLS can't offer that yet.
    I had tears of joy as the T*mbers and Wh*tecaps came back to life/reclaimed their old names. It's just so-o-o-o right having the three teams going again.

4. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I'll send you a scan of Seattle Sounders from Kick Magazine August 28, 1983 Vancouver issue. Unfortunately Sounders management had Dargle trim his beard and tie his hair behind his back before the team photograph, so you don't get the true essence of Benny Dargle.

Seattle leaving for MLS will cause trouble for the whole pacific divison.

5. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Got it. It's posted on "The Victory Lap." Thanx!

If...If...If...

If MLS is smart, they will devise a plan to expand to Seattle-Portland-Vancouver over a series of 2-3 years.

Maybe 2005-6-7?

Perhaps a group of investors will have stake in 2 or even all 3 teams (MLS just loves that).

Or...perhaps MLS will plunge like the NASL, and Sea-Port-Van will continue on in the A-League!

6. Throwins

Throwins Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Around the Puget Sound
    seahawk stadium

Best way to make it intimate is to get 68,000 fans in there. However I'm sure Sounder management would be delirious if they averaged 12,000 per game, not intimate but financially satisfying.

7. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    Hey Sounders fans,

I would be really happy if you guys could keep me updated about Leighton O'Briens performaces in your matches. As you might know, Leighton is leaving for Sweden in May and it would be nice to know how he's doing before he arrives here.

8. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Here's Leighton's pic on the Sounders website.

http://www.seattlesounders.net/roster/?id=5

The Season starts May 1, so he may not see much action here if he is indeed leaving in May. But as long as he is here we'll keep you posted on his progress.

9. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    Yeah, I know how Leighton looks already since he's already been over here one time and I met him then ;)

10. BlueLightning

BlueLightning New Member

Sep 7, 1999
    pesto of all cities
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leighton to Sweden in May?

We've heard that a Swedish club was interested in him, but no word on a deal being reached.

Do you know something we don't, Jedda?

11. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    I don't know what's been said in the US, but I'm the webmaster for Boden and we announced that Leighton had signed for us March 27th. I don't know if the deal was done before that, but since then it's been official here in Sweden that Leighton is coming here before our fifth game (which is May 11th)

12. Timbers_Roberto

Timbers_Roberto New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I'll gladly buy Leighton a one-way ticket to Sweden before May 1 so that the Timbers don't have to face him this year. He is one tough player and I wish him much success as long as he is 5,000 miles away.

13. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I second that thought...He may be a Flounder but I got mad respect for O'Brien's skills. I wish him all the luck in the world in Sweden. :)

Hey Jedda are you guys interested in this guy Andrew Gregor? I hear that he is a quite a footballer also and should be available from the Sounders before May 1st also. Maybe Sweden airlines can come up with a two for one deal on airfare or something ;)

14. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    Thanks, but no thanks. We already got 3 non-EU players :)

Btw, I heard that Sounders game vs Portland in May is shown on FOX Sports World. There doesn't happen to be anyone here who has a TV-card and can cap the game for me, since I can't get that channel myself here in Sweden.

Drop me an e-mail on jens.lindmark@telia.com, or contact me on either ICQ (71251586) or MSN (jeckz@home.se) so we could talk.

15. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    From the Sounders website: Regarding the Signing of Alex Bengard and the status of O'Brien:

"Bengard will either add depth to a strong midfield or he'll replace 2002 A-League MVP Leighton O'Brien, who could end up being loaned to second-division Swedish pro team, Boden."

HMMMM...this is as of today (news report from March 25). The Sounders have issued NO statement officially saying he's going to Sweden. Not only that---but he's been practicing with the team here...and risking injury.

If he's going for sure, why wouldn't the Sounders just say so? Likely because O'Brien wants to keep his own options open, as well. It's not a done deal on this side of the pond.

If he does go...but Boden must "compensate" for last year's A-League MVP.

16. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...

Maybe Boden can arrange Henrik Larsson in a 3 way transfer... he'd look much better in our kit than those damn hoops :)

17. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    The May issue of the Sounders Fansite Fanzine "The Victory Lap" is on-line now.

http://www.geocities.com/sounderfan/index.html

Featured in this issue:

FLASHBACK: Sounder Striker Roger Davies
    FAN FICTION: A completely fictional story of a Sounders-T*mbers game!
    STADIUM OF THE MONTH PIC: Hadjuk Split's home ground.
    TOP TEN LIST: Why Portland is considered a "rival".
    SOCCER ART/CARTOONS: The world's first ever soccer match!

I am looking for input about your match-day traditions for a special match-day page. So...what do you do before the game? After? Respond on BigSoccer or go to "Sounderville" on The Victory Lap and click the link.