[R] Question about Champions Leage Semi Finals [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Hawkamaniac, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkamaniac

Hawkamaniac New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Oregon, USA
    Are they going to use home & away goals in the Inter & AC Milan tie??? That would seem a bit stupid since both games are at the same stadium. When is the last time two clubs from the same stadium met in Europe?

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Of course they'll use the same rules. They won't change it just because of this matchup.

Not sure about teams using the same stadium but the last time a semifinal was played with two teams from the same city was in 58-59, Atletico Madrid - Real Madrid.

3. hurricanelin

hurricanelin New Member

May 22, 2002
    Barbados
    Inter-AC Milan - away goals rule

Since they both play in the same stadium, would it be fair to use the away goal rule. If the score is tied after the 2 legs then it should go to extra time no matter who scored in which 'away' game.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    One game will be designated home for Milan (and Milan season-ticket holders will get to sit in their regular seats) and one game will be designated home for Inter (and INTER season-ticket holders will get to sit in THEIR regular seats).

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: Inter-AC Milan - away goals rule

I would imagine the UEFA rules will still apply to the fixture no matter how "unusual" the situation.

---------------Threads mearged------------------

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It's just the way it works and of course it will be like that for this match as well.

Any more stupid questions/comments?

7. Hawkamaniac

Hawkamaniac New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Oregon, USA
    Awww.... Is someone upset their team couldn't pull off a victory in Milan?

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes but that has nothing to with this.

This is a stupid question for someone who's supposedly a football fan.

Should we tell you how away goals work at the CL final as well to save you the trouble of asking?

9. Hawkamaniac

Hawkamaniac New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    Oregon, USA
    Last time I checked the Final was one leg!!! Talk about not knowing your football!!! ;)

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milan/Inter...How will the away goals work?

Seeing as how both teams play at the San Siro, arguably there is no home or away for either team, which could make the away goals very unfair. So my question is will they try regulating ticket sales to give one team an actual home field advantage one game? ie: If its an Inter home game, 70% of the tickets are sold to Inter fans?

11. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thats actually, EXACTLY, how it works.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    he was being facetious 'tard

13. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    What do you expect from a Juvetus tiffosi?!?!?

14. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that stupid a question, really. The Milan semi will present a distinctive situation--both legs played in the same stadium. At first glance, one might come to the conclusion that the rationale for the away goals rule (they should count for more b/c it's harder to score when not in your own stadium) doesn't apply. However, the point someone made that the "home" team will have the majority of fans suggests that the "home" legs will be marginally more challenging for the "away" team, so there's some rationale for the away goals rule left.

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In support to these quotes, I believe that when Milan and Inter play in Serie A matches, the 'away' side only gets to have their designated 'curve' of the Stadio for their supporters while the 'home' side claims the remainder (about 75%).
    This is also the case in the Lazio-Roma, Juventus-Torino and Sampdoria-Genoa derby matches.

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    UEFA rules will apply.Period.

17. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know they will. My post did not suggest or imply that they won't.

My post did suggest that because unique situation of the Inter-Milan semifinal undermines the rationale behind the away goals rule, it was not "stupid" for someone to question whether that rule will apply.

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hmmm... if the tie has to be decided on penalties, will they use the 'Inter' curve or the 'Milan' curve...

Oh, never mind. :rolleyes: (j/k)

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh, i don't know.
    AFCA thought it did ;)

20. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Still a stupid question. If you don't understand why... I can't help you.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nobody else thinks so. At worst it was a naive question. It would be big of you to admit that you overstated.

22. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    deejay open your PM

abra sus mensajes privados

sorry!

23. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Admitting to something you see differently is not big, it's dumb.

It's a stupid question on a football forum. Simple as that. Anyone knows how these things work. Why? Because they've worked this way for a very, very long time. Anyone who actively follows Euro football knows this.

If you know how about the away goals rule... it's stupid to ask about this match. Of course they're not going to change THE WHOLE FRIGGING IDEA by which Euro football has been played for so many years just because two teams happen to come from the same city.

Hawka-thingy is not stupid. His question however was and will, for eternity and beyond, remain STUPID.

:D

24. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for a small minded git like yourself perhaps. Of course the whole rationale is a bit hokey in this case. Of course, you'd know the intricacies of Italian ticket sales if you followed Italian football, but given the state of Italian football, I haven't a clue why anyone who wasn't Italian would .

While I figured it'd be something like games with ticket sales or even a simple arbitrary decision which game was home and away, I didn't actually know how they handle it. It's mildly interesting to know how a tie between two teams I couldn't give a toss about handle it, though.

If you're such a smart pants, care to walk me through the details of how the Brazilian league works? If you were a real football fan, you'd know right away.

geez, what a dingbat.

G.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Seeing as we have answered the question and are now entering into the name calling stage i think i shall close this thread.