[R]Germany vs Australia[R]

Discussion in 'Germany' started by scorpio81, Jun 14, 2005.

1. mcweiss

mcweiss Member

Sep 8, 2003
    LI, New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schweini...he played both sides of the ball well tonight...and 3 goals against Australia is horrible. What happens when we go up against world class strikers?

2. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    But still 3 out of 3 is not that good sirmanchester

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's not, its pathetic but those goals weren't Kahn's fault...I don't think Hildebrand or Lehman would have made any difference today.

4. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hmm...my man gets 2 assists...not bad i guess :)

5. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    lol only a Bayern fan can be that blind
    Kahn sucked .....
    he shoot consider retiring and letting good keepers play , like Weide, Enke and Hildebrand

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, who's fault was it...in your opinion, you was the weakest link in the defence? Who looks shakiest? :confused:

7. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, great match!

I've been watching Germany's last few matches, an i think i'm starting to become a supporter! They're really great to watch attack, especially Schweinsteiger. I like how they've got that grit, but the defence needs a bit of work :rolleyes:

8. mcweiss

mcweiss Member

Sep 8, 2003
    LI, New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You are right, and additionally he is too old and requires daily naps...:)

[​IMG]

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Kahn didn't play well but neither did the defense. A younger Kahn would have saved at least one of the three goals.

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the free kick was taken quickly, the wall should have blocked it....Cech got a goal just like that with Chelsea.

The second goal was just well played and well shot.

Third goal was just the defense being real lazy and sloppy at the end.

Overall, it was the inexperience of the young defense that allowed the plays leading up to the goals.

11. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Obviously we have a defense problem and HUth was the worst looking today, but in my opinion, and I don´t like to say that because I normaly like this guy, Thorsten Frings was the key problem. He played number 6 Position and almost never controlled the offensive midfielders of Australia which then could pass for the box penetrations that made the centerbacks look bad. Frings wasn´t able neither to shield the box nor to keep Ballacks back free of trouble. That influenced both defense and building the offensive game in midfield.

Otherwise, we played some really nice attacking combinations, really wonderful goals by that way.

So in this tournament we should switch in Ernst for Frings, maybe Ernst and Frings in togehter in front of a 3 player defense, because we haven´t got a leftback in the roster anyways.
    Even with the same system like today, I would change Friedrich for Huth in the centerback, Schneider or Hinkel for Friedrich on the rightback and Deisler for Schneider as right midfielder.

And anyways I think that German NT will get better from game to game and have good chances to win this confed cup. My feeling is, that we can score a lot against any given opponent and will not receive three ************ goals in every game.

For next year I´m very impressed with the offensive quality our youngsters do deliver, we now see dribblings and combinations and goals from attackers that weren´t seen for many years. If Metzelder and Lahm and Hamann get in good shape next year, they are able to solid our defense and then we will see, who will be able to beat us.

12. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    1. Goal

Usually the ball goes OVER the Wall not below .. Khan saw it AND he had it .... and let it slip

3. Goal

He allready had it and let it slip again

TV clearly showed it on BOTH goals

But Kingo Kong err Kahn can be faulty as he is .... as long as he is Protected by don Kalle , don Uli and Don Don Franz ... he could eat lil children and still be Nr.1

13. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    You know I have always been a great Kahn apologist but maybe he really shouldn't be the keeper for the WC.

He's just not feared anymore. He's average! And that's sad.

I'm not so concerned about the defense because one thing is clear , it will look very different next year.

Metzelder could have a great year, Lahm will be back, also Didi could play in the defensiv midfield and Schulz is quite capable also.

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Average? He was great during the season with Bayern, everyone agreed he should be number one again and now replace him again? Come on, this could have happened to any keeper.

Plus, the main reason for the goals was the defense. Frings didn't do much, he was good with Germany in the past because he played on the wings and not in the center, Hitlzperger would be good in this position or Didi but Thomas proved to be a quality left back hehe

And yea, the defense will get better I think as they play more big stage games together but we still need a bit of class experience, I think Arne is ideal as our RB, way more so than Hinkel. Doesn't Hinkel also play in the center?

15. chelodelgado

chelodelgado New Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I am happy to see the attack keeping up its great form, but the defense leaves a lot to be desired. It seem everyone back there is just a step too slow, Australia had a lot more chances than even the first half score indicates. And please take Huth OUT of the NT PERMANENTLY, he is the German version of Titus Bramble.

16. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    youre right, chelo... in hindsight, im rather glad we didnt get huth...! :eek:

17. mcweiss

mcweiss Member

Sep 8, 2003
    LI, New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will second that...

18. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who's "everyone"?? All the Bayern fans??

I happen to agree with Hannover96Girl.

IMHO, Kahn hasn't been "Kahn" since that night in Yokohama.

BTW, if memory serves me correctly, according to a poll "kicker" ran this past season, most German fans think Timo Hildebrand should be Germany #1. I doubt he would win a poll now.

Were that poll run today, I think the winner would be either Robert Enke or Roman Weidenfeller.

Dude, I think if "everyone" thought Kahn should be #1, Sepp Maier would still be Germany's goalkeeping coach.

Kahn and Lehmann will be the ones there because Germany still needs experience there. Same reason Koepke started over Kahn in 98.

IMHO, Kahn wasn't "great" this past season. I don't think he was even close to "great".

According to "kicker", Kahn wasn't even one of the top ten keepers in the Bundesliga this past season. They have him rated 13th. I think that's pretty "average" myself.

I believe Bayern were smart enough to put a better defense in front of him this past season since his ass got so exposed the season before.

Great work by the best management team in the game.

Don't read me wrong. I'm not blaming Kahn for anything that happened in today's match. I didn't see it, so I can't say. I was only addressing Hannover96Girl's opinion and SirManchester's response. :)

Looks like Franz was right.

I wouldn't worry about the defense. Remember, Klinsi is still experimenting. This isn't the starting back four you will see next year.

19. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Is Jurgen Klinsmann staying on after the world cup 06? I think that with Klinsmann in charge the German team is going in the right direction and he should stay on to continue the work he is doing rejuvinating the German team with young talent.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. But if they don't at least come close to winning the World Cup, I expect the German press to try to run him off.

Another good reason Klinsi still lives in the USA.

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the point.

He's not a "younger Kahn".

He's not the Kahn of 2002.

He's an average, declining keeper now. He has been for some time.

He's only still on this team because of his name and his past performances.

Had any other "Non-Bayern" keeper had the dog-effort Kahn gave at Euro 2004, someone else would have taken over quickly.

Just ask Bodo Illgner........

22. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    Soccer Mafia BayScum

If Lehmann did such mistakes the press would already have him sacked

23. Neuwiednetronic Kev

Neuwiednetronic Kev New Member

May 4, 2005
    oooo I just finished watching the game bout one hour ago!!

I think the guys played well and it'll be a good thing to build on, but the more realistic people would not expect them to get past the quarterfinals come next year. I don't think tonite was a bad performance coz there were so many good things too!

Kuranyi was dead sharp with that first goal, which was nice to see, and the other two goals during play were very very well taken too! Looks bright for the scoring department then!

I think Ballack got shut out completely. IMO the Aussies didn't mark him man to man, it was more of a combined effort by Cahill, Skoko, and Milicevic. I think that was the reason why Ballack drifted so widely during the first 20 minutes or so, since he had no where else to get comfortable and operate successfully on the ball. So really big credit goes to the Aussie mids!

Defence wasn't good though, I thought. The distributions out of the third was slow, although the pace of the defenders was better than I expected! I think they need time to gel with the midfielders to get that ball movement up the field a bit more efficiently worked out. It'll be fine!

The mids were okay, I thought Aloisi and Cahill got too much space. A great imposing DM would have shut both of them out, but then again they did play very well off and on the ball.

I thought Schweinsteiger played okay, he made some good moves down the flank, although I thought he didn't look like he had much intention in mind, more of like "I'll just beat this guy and see what happens after". I think as he gets experienced more he will progress and play accordingly to what he wants to acheive.

Friedrich I thought played better, had a few nice combinations with Ballack and Schneider, and he looked a lot more like he knew what he wanted to do with the ball, and looked more decisive with his play, so did Schneider.

Podolski played well, IMO he stuttered a bit but time will change that.

Ollie Kahn didn't stop one single shot, expect for cutting off a low cross from the right flank. Then again he didn't fumble badly like WCFinal-Style or RobertoCarlosCL-Style. I think goalies shouldn't be judged by how many saves or mistakes they make, they should be judged by their DECISION MAKING. Ollie's was definitely sub-standard compared to his past. Rotating the GKs in a tournament such as this would give a good indication as to who's the most suitable for the finals next year IMO. So I think we should wait till a bit later until we write him off.

I thought Ballack played worse than Kahn, to be honest. So I don't know why everyone is biting Ollie's head off.

I think Argentina will be the Acid Test. At least the guys went out and got the 3 points tonight, so that's good enough for a start. I think the Aussies were better than they expected, and credit to the Socceroos!

24. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Yes, of course credit to them. They playes a very good match.

25. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    I hope they beat Tunesia and Argentina and we beat Argentina and tunesia as well
    and Aussies and us will enter the semis