[R] Crew players in Guadalajara w/ U23s [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MD_05, Feb 3, 2004.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    February 3, 2004 - US vs. Panama

Marshall and Wingert start in the back.

Testo is on the bench.

2. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    Both Chris and Chad are active, each with a shot.

3-0 in the 43'

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    4-3 US

Panama showed heart and the US showed that their defense is shaky. I don't know how Wingert and Marshall played, but giving up 3 goals to Panama isn't so good.

Name that caption

[​IMG]
    United States under 23 national soccer Bobby Convey (R-rear) celebrates his first goal against Panama with teammate Chad Marshall (14) as Alecko Escandarian (L) look on during the first round of the tournament to qualify two teams from the Caribbean and North and Central Americas for the 2004 Athens Olympics, at 3 Marzo stadium in Guadalajara, Mexico. February 3, 2004. REUTERS/Henry Romero

Without MLS.....

THIS WOULDN'T BE DISGUSTING

4. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    good enough.

Marshall credited with an assist in the Panama game.
    U.S. vs. Canada tonight.

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, hell, I had completely forgotten. Thanks man.

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's a good thing that game is at 8:00 CT(9:00 ET) because I'll be damned if I'm missing my DreamTeam to read matchtracker.

Go You Dragons.

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Friends is on at 8. That's where the good stuff's at.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    new ER means i am taping the matchtracker...

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's why I got a TW DVR. I record both, watch Friends, then Watch DreamTeam with no commercials. With that I should be able to catch the matchtracker right as the game starts.

10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh. Yeah, and that would be a what?

11. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Time Warner Digital Video Recorder. It's TW's answer to TIVO. I can record two shows at the same time and watch a third recorded show. That's better then TIVO, but the other features are not as good.

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not better than my DirecTV DVR Powered By TiVo (awful marketing - I prefer DirecTiVo). I too can record two streams at once as well as watch a third.

13. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    DVR, or whatever your equivalent is, is pure evil! You never realize how handy instant replay is until you're somewhere that doesn't have it.

14. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    back to Olympic Qualifying if you like.

February 5, 2004 US vs. Canada
    Marshall, Wingert start again. Testo on the bench.

The score is 1-0 at halftime on a goal by Convey. This is from the matchtracker: "...with Convey finishing a string of four passes that started in the back with defender Chris Wingert" Oh yea, Marshall has a yellow.

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't heard much from Marshall. Love how the commentators say his last name though.

Marsssssshall.

Guess I missed that yellow MD mentioned. But I am juggling listening to the match while working on a Soc paper.

16. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 US and Testo comes on with 5 minutes left. Sounds like he's running around causing some major problems... wish MLS would just sign him already.

So what happens after we win group A? I'm trying to look around the ussoccer.com site, but I'm not finding it yet.

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amendment to my last comment.

I know they take the top 4 and they play for the winner, but how many of the teams qualify, is what I'm after.

18. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    2 teams qualifiy. The two semifinal winners. So the US must win in the semifinal round to go to the olympics.

I wish they would have a group play to decide who goes to the olympics where the 4 teams that make the second round gets a chance to play each other and the best two teams go. This one game semifinal seems unfair and really makes the final game irrelevant.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bringing this back to MLS a bit...

What the hell has got into Convey, he was brilliant at the U-20's and he's scoring bucketloads in Mexico. Does anyone else though see him actually doing this well for DC? I really can't, even though he is playing great I just don't see it translating back to MLS.

20. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    This certainly helps Convey in his "I should play center mid- not left back or left wing" argument. He never really got much time as the 10 at DC United or with the full National Team. Maybe this is just a glimpse at what he could have been/will be.

21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's surrounded by different players, so who knows. Hopefully not. But the DC fans that were in one of the chats sure thought he could. Way too f0cking optimistic if you ask me.

But you're post did remind me of my throughts during the game last night. I know this has been discussed before, but it is natural to hate a player who plays for our country, because of which club side he plays for? I know I was happy to see US score goals, but everytime they said Convey, I could only wish it was one of the other US players out there. To me, Convey's scum. Yeah, its great he's scoring goals for the US, but there's still that huge element of hatred. How do you go about setting the two aside?

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    yup. but you cannot say "could have been" b/c the kid is what? 20? he is still very young.

with nowak at "scum" i can only seeing the kid getting better...i think this is going to be a real "break out" year for him in MLS, but maybe that is just me.

23. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    yes he is still very young, i'm just saying that the last season or two he hasn't lived up to some expectations, but that's what you get for bringing a 16 year old into the league and expecting something from him right away.

It may end up being a good thing the work permit didn't go through in England for Convey to go to Spurs. One will never know, but it's likely he would have played on the left over there since he hadn't yet proved himself in the middle. Now with his superb play at the World Youth Championship and Olympic Qualifying, some EPL team should be willing to let him take control of their offense. It's hard to believe MLS won't get $2-$3 million for him this summer.

24. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with fid, with Nowak taking over and just huge changes in the staff and team at DC (and I'm not referring to Adu either), I wouldn't be surprised to see Convey have a huge year and instantly get signed in August to Spurs or whoever shows up with the dosh.

With Mullethead and Stinkcrotch both gone, that opens up two spots in the midfield. Convey has one of them locked down, I'm sure.

I think the biggest thing last year, was that Convey went on his prozac tour after he couldn't get his WP for Spurs. He just had no fire. Looks like that fire is back in a big way... too bad, for the rest of the league.

At least if he explodes it'll make MLS some cash. Maybe then they can fcukin sign Testo.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've been over this with 3stripe numerous times. I hate cheering for anyone associated with DC. Can't stand it. When Adu signed with DC I immediately told her I hope Clark breaks his leg. Only during actual World Cup play have I even come close to setting apart that hatred. Even during some qualifiers, I'll lep up for a goal and then my celebration becomes a bit subdued when I realize its a player I hate.

It surely doesn't help that Convey seems to be staking claim to a position that 18 months ago I was positive that Martino would hold.