[R] Crew @ Mid-Michigan Bucks :: Post-Game

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Foosinho, Jul 12, 2006.

1. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God blessed! Can we catch a break other than one involving bones this year?!?

Five non-MLS team advance to the fourth round and we're stuck traveling to the team that's hotter than habenero in their house.

Not that I mind playing DC, I just prefer that it would have been in the final.

2. Delklb99

Delklb99 Member

May 7, 2004
    I was at last night's game and the score flatters the Crew effort. Apart from the two corners, Thomas' late free kick and the own goal, the Crew generated little in attack. They just don't create chances. Gaven was useless. Becerra scored from a corner, but didn't show that he was better than the opponent at all. The height advantage came in handy, especially for Hendrickson. They started with former Buck Knox Cameron up front and he had little impact on the game. The Bucks opened large gaps in the three man back line during the first half, especially where the nominal right sided defender Marcos Gonzalez should have been. At the break, the score was as even as the play. The Bucks had more shots on goal, the Crew looked only slightly more comfortable in possession. In fact, it was really only after the Bucks top midfielder, Nate Jafta, came off due to a thigh injury, that the home team lost their shape. Jacob Thomas certainly stood out for the Crew when he came in. The free kick from which he sealed the result was a questionable foul at best, but he got his shot to dip dramatically on the way in. It looked like that crazy World Cup ball. If this is what the Crew are about, they won't be in the playoffs this year. Nice score, but their play was far from impressive. Good luck in the next round against DC.

3. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus, this will be 3 games vs DC in less than a month... maybe we can take one...

4. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So since I had band practice, how did Seb look tonight? 3 assists has got to impress Sigi. We talked about him being the feeder when in attacking mid, I'm glad he showed Sigi he could be just that guy. Hopefully he starts against DC this weekend...

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is kinda funny... "other than the 4 goals, the attack was terrible." :)

Par for the course. I still maintain that it's the forwards more than anything else. Hopefully Coiner will bring a level of professionalism to the attack similar to that of Thomas.

6. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, might be a while before we have another open cup home game after that near riot last year. ********ing Dallas cheaters and ************ officials. I like it when the players and officials are afraid to go through the tunnel :D . Really wish we could of got DC at home, especially being the lower seeded team. Hopefully we get a home game if we advance.

Pics from that fateful night in August

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    At any point, any team can get beat in the Open Cup.

And I'll take 4 goals against any team the way this team has been playing. I didn't get to listen to the game, but am thrilled with the result.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Well, just to be a wet blanket, the Crew may have better team morale and some momentum from the USOC match. Unfortunately our next match is at RFK vs a team which just demolished Celtic and has even more momentum and higher morale than we do. They also pass the ball better.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Celtic, did you take a look at the roster they played?

Frankly MLS teams going up against any European opponent in the middle of the summer means nothing in terms of results, scorelines and who scored.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Celtic were missing 4 starters (1 injured, 3 on post WC break). DC were missing 4 starters too including Moreno. Maybe Celtic is in for a long season but DC seems to have more in their favor than the Crew right now.

I sorta agree that foreign teams on tour frequently don't perform well in American heat and vs teams looking for borrowed respect. Thus Red Bulls beating Bayern. Fulham looked bad last year vs Crew and all stars. I thought they were relegation bound but managed to finish mid table. Still beating Everton will mean more than beating the Michigan Bucks.

11. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Yes. They played what in essence was their first team without three players on extended holliday from the WC and Balde for some reason.

If you want to make the "middle of MLS season" argument thats fine, but the roster argument really doesn't fly here. Celtic's defense and midfield really is just that thin and poor.

12. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I saw it, the Crew did not look great, but were obviously the technically superior side. They were out-hustled though. The Bucks did a great job of pushing the ball through the midfield simply by playing to space and letting their forwards outrun the coverage. The Bucks did have trouble sealing the deal on their shots. They would fit right in as a Crew forward circa last week.

I wouldn't be surprised if Turpin goes pro. He'll be another Ngwenya without some teaching him how to finish at a professional level.

But, as some said, except for four goals, I wasn't impressed with the exception of Thomas' 30 yard rocket into the corner. Seb's third assist? He nudged the restart a foot forward and let Thomas blast away. The Crew converted on every chance and otherwise played uninspired "lets-get-through-this" soccer.

Vasquez hustled his ass off and did OK (as he is a topic of recent interest) In the second half, Sigi yelled something at him and Eric cringed on the field.

Not one Crew fan won anything in the raffle. Crooked Bucks fans, obviously.

Mango sat in the stands by his lonesome.

13. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Was Vasquez drinking beers during the game?

14. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Does Roy Keane still play for Celtic?

15. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only during stoppage in play. He was totally professional.

16. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club

I'll allow it as long as there was no booze involved. What about hookers, did he engage in any sexual activity what so ever with hookers during the game?

17. soccert1472

soccert1472 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    "And I'll take 4 goals against any team the way this team has been playing. I didn't get to listen to the game, but am thrilled with the result."

So am I, we could continue to bitch about everything the Crew does or get behind them when they do win, regardless who they play. I know all of you Monday morning coaches could do a much better job. Maybe you can leave a number for Sigi so he can call you for your opinion:)

18. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of. He was the recipient of a quickie from the concessions girl after Sigi sent him to buy Pepsis for the entire team. Again, total class.

19. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town

Hmmmmmm.....</c&cMusicFactory>

20. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ragamuffin revealed! We thought you were Ryan Coiner. Of course, reclusive does not equal anti-social. BAsed on what you wrote, it seems a pretty good reason. As Pathogen now knows, my mental filter can be faulty at times and society is lessened because of it.

I didn't recognize the other guy sitting with Mango, maybe a translator unless the Crew has been blessed with a glut of Portugeuse speaking players.

22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told you who he was, you just don't listen, buddy.

Vasquez looked like utter crap. Plain and simple.

Also, I may get mauled for this, but I still have my doubts with Roz. He had a few nice touches, but quite a few poor ones. And I hate to get down on him furthermore, but he looked slow. Very slow. He lost a key ball in midfield during the second half that I remember so very clearly. I don't know Sigi's thoughts, but I'd guess he still has some reservations on giving over his midfield to Seb.

Oh and Gaven was not good. "Hey Gaven you like classical music. . Why can't you score a ********* goal?!?!?!" :D

Do I have anything positive to say? Jacob Thomas has an amazing shot, he's hella quick, and just damn interesting to watch. If Sigi is still looking for that spark starter, he definately fits the role.

Still, wow, was it nice to see Crew score.

Final Thought: If Crew continue to keep up their crap play at home, I might have to start going to the practices rather than the home matches to see one of our boys find net.

23. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    I think that injury is a re-occurring one for Nate. I've missed the Bucks games including last night's for the last 3+ weeks thanks to medical & business issues, but got a good look at Nate early on. This is his first season with the team. He might be the best player to wear a Bucks in the 3+ seasons I've followed the team in person.

The Bucks' braintrust has pushed hard in the marketing for both Crew games the notion that some of our players will be invited to train in Columbus after the PDL season is over. If that is true, it would simply be insane not to invite Jafta.

Someone else mentioned Mychal Turpin; he of course was a teammate of Cameron's at UM. Along with our ex-left back Nate Craft, Turpin tried out with the Rochester Rhinos this past winter/spring. Craft made the club easily, and has played a big part in the Rhinos' stauch defense this season. Turpin was one of the very last cuts of a large group of forwards. I do think he can play somewhere in the A-League, but the note about his finishing is correct. I don't think it will improve much though. It is what it is. If it did he could probably hang on some MLS roster.

Has anyone thought that perhaps Knox Cameron should be tried out somewhere in the defensive half?

24. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not.

The Crew (at least in MLS) are (probably) the weakest team in the league in total offense but our defense is adequate or pretty good depending on who you talk to. I don't think Sigi would want to tamper with one of the areas that is working. Maybe in the reserve division, but not on the MLS starting eleven.

25. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    It would definitely have to be a project. The subject came up in a BS thread not too long before Cameron was drafted. Someone floated the idea and having watched him for a couple of years I chimed in that it did make some sense. But then those were the days of the Fat Cameron, not unlike Fat Elvis. I caught the first Crew game, and I barely recognized him. I would love to read this group's opinion of Cameron.