[R] Brazil vs. Mexico [R] @ Confed Cup 2005 in Germany

Discussion in 'Germany' started by HeyaBVB, Jun 19, 2005.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would much rather play Mexico in the semis...I think its Brasil having a hard time here against them, obviously they always have.

But I think Germany can shut them down. It'll be a tough game but I think we can do it.

2. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London

*nods*

3. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    disentrested??

Typical british irony
    no one needs it :)

Off course we wanna win

4. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Well, this was about the most off-comment of the evening :p

I must say that i don't understand why Mexico are so under-rated. Especially after they have made the last 16 in the World Cup twice in a row, consistently are the best "North" American side and have shown on numerous occasions that they would be one of the top guns in South America as well...

5. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    honestly
    not Mexico won
    Brazil lost

to themselves

The only force that can stop Brazil
    is brazil itself
    Their own arrogancy

6. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London

hehe. Nah. Actually I think you stand a damn good chance of getting into the final no matter who you play. Argentina seem to like letting in goals. Brazil seem not to care. Mexico ain't that good. Why not Germany. At least you lot have some of zee German discipline. ;)

7. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
  8. sting-ray

sting-ray New Member

May 16, 2005
    Bad Zw'ahn
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Were Not Losing To Argentina!!1

9. Jimmy America

Jimmy America Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Nerys Eyebrows
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Or a disiplined Mexican defense which completely shut them down

10. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Nice defensive game by mexico_Offensevely didn't do much.

Now it must be said that by one match
    neither Mexico is that good
    and Brazil isnt that bad.

In the game Brazil produced some goal opportunities(mostly by Adriano) but wasn't able to put them on the scoreboard.

The problem with Mexico is that he only is capable of winning during the regular stages of any big tournament.
    But at the decisive moments is not able to overcome his opponents.
    This is the exact opposite of big teams like Argentina and Brazil that mght lose when they can do it,but at the decisive stages of the tournament they win.

Example:
    During last America coup,Mexico defeated Argentina by 1-0 in the first team round.But at quarterfinals he was defeated by Brazil by 4-0 and Argentina made it all the way to the final.

11. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Hmmm not completely right.

Adriano had three clear oportunities to score and he failed to do so.

Ronaldinho has been dissapointing since the last game.
    Kaka is clearly not playing at his top level.

Yet still,Brazil is the top favorite in the tournament,along with Germany.

Brazil in any tournament always raises his level as the tournament goes on.Like important times.

Defeats and victory in group stages are mere statistic and anecdote.

12. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005

My view of this match.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're right Memento, let's just see if Mexico's consistency lasts and how Brazil does against Japan.

It's a must win for Japan and Brazil so it will be a good game.

14. Jimmy America

Jimmy America Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Nerys Eyebrows
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Well this will be my last post because the game is over but actually No, just because they didn't win the Copa America doesn't mean that. Mexico has won many big games, If that were true Mexico wouldn't have won the first ever Confederation Cup against Brazil. Since you brought up one game I will bring up one game too in which they did WIN IT ALL, and it was against Brazil to win the first ever Confederation Cup. peace

Jimmy America

15. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    OK.I will not expect another response from you.

But I think there are some things that need to be made clear:

I do remember that thrilling game Between Mexico and Brazil in the Estadio Azteca.It was a close match that ended up with a victory of Mexico.
    I also remember that for Mexico it was like winning the world cup that night and for Brazil it was just another tournament witout prestige.(I dont remember seeing any Brazilian players in tears after losing the Confed Cup).Besides Brazil isn't unbeatable.

The really interesting thing is that if not even today the Confed cup seems to be really important for the teams involved, and back then in 1999 the Confed Cup was a tournament for wich nobody cared.The only teams that gave importance to it were teams that might as well are not capable of winning a World cup at the moment.

In that confed.cup ,Mexico had to face Egipt and other mediocre teams so actually he arrived at the final having no problems.You cant say much of a tournament that means nothing historically.

When I talk that Mexico does not win the big decisive moments im talking of the last three WC.They lost in panalty with an impressive Bulgaria team 1994.A game that Bulgaria should have won in regular tim if not because of their own errors.They also lost to an old Germany in 1998.(Perhaps the worst germany squad in history of WC).And they lost to EU in 2002.And they also lost to Colombia in the Copa America final.

Was it really a big game winning to Brazil in the infamous Confed Cup??
    I DONT THINK SO.

history shows my point of view as right.The confed cup trophy doesnt change anything.

Or is Greece one of the greatest teams in the world just because he won the EURO 2004?

PLEASE BE MORE ANALYTICAL AND LESS VIVA MEXICO!!

16. Jimmy America

Jimmy America Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Nerys Eyebrows
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ok this is really my last post. lol So you're saying Mexico didn't win the last 3 WORLD CUPS? Guess what, Since Brazil won 2 and France the other I guess NO OTHER team in the WORLD besides France or Brazil has won A BIG GAME in the LAST 12 YEARS THEN, since they all got eliminated when it COUNTED?
    lol Thats nonsense

I just mentioned the Confederation Cup cause we're playing it right now. You listed 3 big games Mexico lost,so I can list 10 big games that they've won? you're obviosly a Mexico hater who will come up with any excuse to not give credit.

later

17. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Haha I thought i was just being charitable there :D

18. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Hi Jimmy

I can see your frustration, but other people simply arn't that excited about Mexico... Admitedly I feel the same as you and am hoping Mexico leaves its mark on this tournament, although I do have to admit we do have a knack of having absolutley spectacular opening rounds and then lossing a tough game in the knock out stages... I hope this changes because I have always felt Mexico has the talent to do some very good things in the WC but just havn't been able to get over the hump, for whatever reason, maybe this WC we can luck out and draw a more manigable team in the second round, maybe one of the Asians or one of the lower regarded Euros... but anyways i just wanted to chip in... Good luck to Germany in this tournament and next yr...

19. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    Would be really interesting that you list those 10 games you talk about.(No friendlies,no mediocre tournaments like Gold Cup or -still not that good- Confed Cup, please)

Now I do believe you were not able to understand my previous comment.I notice this because of your foolish response.To argue one persons opinion you must first be able to understand what the other person is saying.

First I gave credit to Mexico since I previously said they had played well,organized deffensively and able to capitalize in a opportunity, but that also Brazil made some mistakes in front of goal.Since Brazil was able to produce some good oportunities to score.(This is expected always of Brazil considering the quality of their players).

The point I was trying to make is that Mexico has yet to achieve really important things.They have improved supremely in the last 17 years, and they are not the team that was easilly beaten that was before.
    But still they have never reached the quarterfinals in a WC (outside of Mexico) and they have lost critical games in the past like the two Copa America finals.It is evident in statistics that Mexico has fallen short in the knock-out stages of the only true international world competition THE WC.
    tHE IDEA IS THAT MEXICO IS YET TO PROBE THEY CAN DO MORE THAN A GOOD PARTICIPATION IN THE OPENING ROUNDS AT A TRUE INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT AND BE CONSISTENT WITH THEIR LEVEL(THIS MEANS WINNING AT DECISIVE MOMENTS AND SHOWING GREAT LEVEL OF PLAY).THAT IS WHAT LAVOLPE IS SEEKING AND THAT IS WHY THEY HAVE LET HIM WORK SINCE 2002-2003.MEXICO IS YET TO MAKE THAT STEP THAT CAN ONLY BE ACHIEVED WITH TIME AND WORK.

20. Memento

Memento New Member

Jun 12, 2005

21. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    I think mexico's problem is that NO mexican is known outside Mexico or Concacaf.

I mean take the Aussies, the greeks, the japanese, the Brazilians, the Argentinians or even the tunesians

All their top players are in one of the european top 5 leagues (Spain, Italy, England, France or Germany)

The Mexicans ONLY play in Mexico ... imho they are the most disciplined american (as a whole) team behind the Americans, which play a slightly european style. But they lack the experience you get in one of the UEFA Top leagues ....

Thats why they allways fail at the WC (imho)
    Even the americans have players who play or PLAYED in europe

And no one can dismiss that the UEFA is the strongest soccer confederation
    and the Top 5 UEFA Leagues are the strongest in the world