Alert: [R] Arsenal versus Newcastle Monday, March 12, 4 pm est

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But "people" have been critical of Vermaelen. "People" have been noting that he can be pulled out of position too easily at least as early as the CL matches against Barca two seasons ago when Ibra killed us.

And as for the Ben Arfa goal, there was plenty of blame to go around. No doubt, Vermaelen was guilty of a very poor give-away. But Gibbs didn't do a good job of getting tight on Ben Arfa and then way too easily allowed him to switch the ball to his preferred foot. And although the shot was from fairly close range, I'd be willing to bet that Szezcsny was a bit mad at himself for getting beat near post like that.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    are you sure? If you did a poll before this conversation about where Vermaleen is rated, I would bet the majority would be that he is among the best in the league and world class, etc despite the fact that he has been injury prone and prone to a lot of mistakes. Shoot, when the goal was scored by HBA, only one post blamed Vermaelen for the goal while the rest was directed towards Gibbs.

I cant blame Gibbs as much because we had possession of the ball and as a fullback in this system, he has to get forward to provide an outlet for the midfield as well as playing a high line. Not having fullback outlets is what caused problems during December-February. He should have gotten tighter on HBA and shown him to his other foot, but he was also running back about 40 yards to just be in the position. Vermaelen is the main culprit there.

About 10 minutes later, Newcastle broke again with Vermaelen high up the field and caught out and was fortunate for Gibbs to have not gone as forward as before. After the goal, Gibbs actually had a very good match afterwards and HBA was quieted and did not get by Gibbs but then you read some posters in this thread call still get on him.

3. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    If I were Szczesny I'd be more upset with Gibbs, Ben Arfa cut in waaaaay too easily. It doesn't matter what foot is stronger, you don't let someone cut inside that easily.

All the same, credit to Ben Arfa, if you're going to shoot near post you literally can't do better than that.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    koscielny is our best cb now and i would still choose vermaelen over mertesaker due to the difference in pace but tom needs to hone down his forward forrays and as prince said, stop ball watching

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were Szczesney I'd be more upset with myself. Gave away too much space at the near post. Simple as.

6. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Couldnt have said it better Yoss.

Prince stop making a twat of yourself and acting like you are the all seeing all knowing oracle. I, along with many others on here have listed the merits and de-merits of every player in our squad including Vermaelen. You make it look like the majority of 'people' on this forum are dumb.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in a rush and didn't have time to narrow the posts down for you, but check out toward the end of this thread starting around April of 2010 (approx. page 27 or so). You'll kanonier posting an article about Vermaelen's not-so-great-positioning and others chiming in on the subject.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072252&highlight=Vermaelen+position

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scally, Prince has a point. Just look at the all the posts blaming Gibbs for the goal while Verm seems to be infallible for a lot of folks around here. Verm's commitment and energy are admirable but time and again he will have a brain fart at the back.
    He doesn't have Kos and Per's tactical nous and discipline and that can be costly.

9. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Prince said somewhere on the thread...imagine what would have happened if the ball fell to Gervinho versus Verm? You take the bad with the good. IMO, there is a lot more good to both Verm and Gibbs. I can live with those occasional mistakes.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

exactly. I am not saying Vermaelen should be sold or calling him shit. He is a very good defender in the final 3rd, but he fuccs up a lot and because he scores goals its all good.

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah but u act like your the only person who 'knows' about football

i am that person so stop biting my style

12. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Just wish we had of won this game :(

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont do that. People on here just do not like their football views challenged, especially for players they really like.

14. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Vermaelen is the Don Dada. Don't test.

15. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Mofuhkas backtrackin' like Deion in his prime. The fact is no one is willing to point out TV5s blunder but the non chosen are always pummeled with whatever mistakes they make. Thats not fair. All our players make mistakes, its how the game is, so why single out only the ones you like? I happen to love TV5 he's just frustrating at times with his pants on fire style. Funny enough the people dissin' Luiz would be well served to look at TV5 they have the same playing style. It makes for great watching but not always for great defending.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bolded part is plainly not accurate. Plenty of people have pointed out the blunder.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Prince and dutch have some sort of tag team partnership going on

18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Im coming off the top rope with a folding chair, call me Dutchie Beware

Jokes aside, I like TV5 he's just not as free from critique as people would like. Again, people have their teachers pet and that's cool. I just call it like I see it.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ole and Arn Anderson

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They have nothing on Hart Dynasty.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    we apart of the Four Horseman tho.

22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depends on which version.

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    OG version with in prime Flair and Tully Blanchard.

24. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    don't make me do some william regal low blows and general british evil cheat moves on u mother fcukers