Alert: [R] Arsenal versus Newcastle Monday, March 12, 4 pm est

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Off this game you're going to make a statement that Ox was better than Theo? Theo had both assists and a couple of other passes that could have been converted. In the long run Ox probably will be better than Theo, but in this game Theo was good to very good and when he plays like that, Arsenal usually win. With Theo its all about consistency. He plays very well in some games and disappears in others. Remember he's still only 22. Young players tend to be a little inconsistent.

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gibbs better than Baines? I don't see it, mate.

3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    He's out of position? TV5 receives a pass, Gibbs is running into space to provide an outlet. IF he stayed in his natural position, even with TV5 there'd be no space for him to receive the ball as he'd be closed down. I don't need to be at the game to figure this out.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    this was the most interesting thing to me. when he started playing left back, i got really excited because of how much he likes to go forward . . . then he played more stayed at home as a left-back and i got confused (somebody made an interesting observation that he played almost as left-sided defensive midfielder then).

5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i know that any minute now somebody is going to get irritated at the discussion of how far along gibbs is and whether he should be in the lineup, given that we won the game. but i have to tell you guys: i fucking love it. being able to discuss one player's progress/readiness after the game is so much better than some of the gloom and doom discussion we had after every game during that crappy streak of games we had. :D

i'll happily take winning the game and having this type of discussion for the rest of the season.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta played the peacekeeper well last night.

There was a discussion in the RVP thread I think about how good a captain/leader he is this year. I have to agree.

But Arteta, Rosicky have also been great leaders for us this year. Maybe Song. Wait for Jack in a few years. And Szcesney is really chomping at the bit, although he's too young/naiive.

Looks like we have quite a mature bunch of dudes coming along.

p.s. Sorry Aaron that I left you out, given you're the national captain and all, but for us you don't seem to jump into that role.

8. JKGooner

JKGooner Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    many apologies for the repetition (and i absolutely love sagna) but, gawd, i miss lauren. :D

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    great point, NB. i think this is where wenger missed for so many years but got it right at the deadline this year. arteta, mertesacker and benayoun may not be super quality but their show of leadership and maturity can help some of the young super quality players we have how to be more grown up and learn to become future leaders themselves.

12. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005

This. I hope to be wrong about Theo, and yesterday's game is an opportunity for reevaluation. He can finish well and he can cross well, though horribly inconsistent. But yesterday was on the front end of good linkup play, which I'd never seen from him before. With that in mind, he might have a higher ceiling that I had given him credit for. If he could only beat a defender with deception on the dribble in tight space, he could be a truly outstanding player.

13. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    FWIW I don't think Ox sucked, most of the attacks were going on the right because Theo was having his way with Santon.

14. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
  15. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My new wallpaper :)

[​IMG]

17. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Please shut your fucking mouth, Jonas. As if he didn't spend most of the match on his ass either flopping for cheap fouls in midfield or from trying to clatter one of our players. :rolleyes: God, I hope Newcastle get relegated again; I've always hated them.

18. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, what the hell is he talking about? He's proud of Krul for staying calm when van Persie went crazy? WTF?

Maybe all Nederlanders look the same to him. :rolleyes:

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't get the Gibbs love - he's decent, but he was torched by Ben Arfa for the goal.

I agree with Prince: Vermaelen isn't very good.

22. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go again. How many games has Gibbs played for us? Verm has had a few missteps but he is not a mental midget. Twice now Verm has made up for his bad play in a game by scoring. Kos has made mistakes too. Feel the love son :) !

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like Gibbs - I'm just going to hold off on the love until he does it a while longer.

Vermaelen, on the other hand: :eek:. He's out of position a lot.

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arsenal gave up a lot of goals on set pieces last season. This season they seem to have improved, a lot. As strong as he is in the air, Vermaelen is a significant part of that.

You take the good (goals scored and set pieced defended) with the bad. Especially in this case when the bad appears to be a communication issue that can be corrected. Its clear that Wenger encourages his center halves to go forward at times, Koscielny does it too. So I'm sure there's a rotation in place when they do, i.e Song dropping back or the outside backs pinching in. When Arsenal get burned because Vermaelen or Koscielny have gone forward, its probably the communication and defensive discipline that have broken down.

25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this is almost entirely not true. Its almost laughable to say its true thats how wrong it is.

there was a change in tactic, RVP now sits in front of the near post and the team went to zonal marking. I think van Persie has over 100 headed clearances this year.

Not only that, but Vermaelen has made 19 appearances this year while the club has played 28 matches (in league stats).

I think Vermaelen is a very good defender on 1v1s and in the defensive 3rd. When teams are in transition, he struggles because he is usually caught high up the pitch. He also likes to ball watch too and isnt as good at anticipating danger as Kos and Per are.

I like Vermaelen a lot, but I cant believe folks on here refuse to be critical of his play. I mean people are bashing Gibbs on the Ben Arfa goal when it was Vermaelen who gave the ball away which lead to the chance.

Look, I get it. He scores goals and is a defender so that is cool. He looks like a bad ass and he looks passionate and all that, but the guy is prone to clown moments in defense. I will never get why people dont want to point it out.