[R] Adopted Cousin of Other MLS Teams' News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by EL MONO MARIO, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in passing:

Argentina is a disaster and getting worse. (I'd point out that what's happening there, and the reasons for same, should be of concern to a lot of people around here who are gleeful about our present government but you're going to find it out soon enough on your own.)

It's getting so bad that the government is again agitating about the Falklands, which mean nothing to anyone but which has traditionally served to distract the citizenry from domestic crises.

It's only relevant because yes, he wants out of Argentina, and he and his family like Columbus just fine. I don't think he's so much in love with Portland or Denver, or the RBNY job, he'd just like a job here and not have to deal with Argentina's collapse.

I would be willing to bet you just about anything that he'd take the CBus job in a heartbeat. Not a question or a doubt.

As for pay, unless you're il Bruce or Sigi, MLS coaching jobs pay pretty much the same. Sure there's some variation but entry level is entry level and nobody pays a lot more than the going rate in ANY business.

As for experience, well, experience costs. A track record of success costs. If HSG was interested in paying for an experienced guy they would have paid Sigi. They chose not to.

(Spare me the whole "he wanted to move west" line of crap; the bottom line is that his agent gave HSG a proposal with a number and HSG said no. There's no indication that the number was somehow outrageous or out of line, just that HSG didn't want to pay it and Seattle did)

In any case, there really isn't a high caliber candidate available. You can have Nowak, or Preki or maybe Steve Nicol if you want. I sure don't. Rongen? Soehn? Onalfo? Sarachen? Mo Johnston? They're all available, mostly because they all suck.

All the guys with strong resumes -Arena, Schmid, Kinnear, Yallop, etc. - already have jobs and aren't going anyplace.

Just not an option which is OK because HSG wouldn't meet their price.

So out of the available options - college guy, MLS assistant, foreign coach - GBS is as attractive an option as anybody else available. And he'd take the job.

And for CBus, it's brilliant PR.

2. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am tempted to create sock-puppets just to rep Bill's post some more ;)

3. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is some ridiculous bullshit. How were we not willing to do the same thing plus the rights to someone we cut? Would be totally worth it, IMHO.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the guys we cut weren't exactly the MLS gold standard?

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that MLS is likely to have a teams in the USL, I'd go for hiring GBS right now as the coach of our future USL team. Win/win.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This can't actually be a serious suggestion?

ZipSix, chr1st and Kayak repped this.
  7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I meant we could have traded away a slot AND the rights to someone.

8. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Duka and an international spot for Dax McCarty? Balchan rights + some extras for someone from Houston?

9. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you noticed, I quoted a post where lindpiere was traded by nyrb for nothing more than an international slot.

10. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Right, I'd figure Dax would require a bit more

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not?? That's kinda what they wanted in the first place (GBS working with the youth)--and it's often how you get a coach/manager in waiting into your system. If we are going to have a true farm system, as now seems possible, why not? You don't think Ryne Sandburg was managing the Iron Pigs because he *liked* Allentown, do you??

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It's kind of insulting to GBS to offer him a youth team job when he has a first division job currently in Argentina and is in discussions with other MLS sides for their top job. I know you think we should keep Bob because other candidates aren't "proven" but this is taking it to extremes.

ZipSix repped this.
  13. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are sock puppets capable of binary fission? :p

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say "youth" team, though that was the original offer. The USL team will be a reserve team. But you could easily put him in charge of both the reserve/USL team *and* the youth program. And I'm not saying Bob should be kept--or fired. I've been pretty clear I'm on the fence about him. I *am* saying that HSG will simply *not* fire Bob at this point in time just to get GBS. That's a given, pretty much, like it or not. Thus this suggestion. Especially if GBS wants out of Argentina--for good reasons as Bill noted.

And just because GBS is in discussions with other MLS teams doesn't mean he will get one of those jobs. It's not an insult to offer him a chance to build something here, when it's known he likes the place and has some roots here--and it would anoint him as the Heir Apparent. Was it an insult to Fickell to get the DC job after he'd been Head Coach? Same thing happened with Bob, you may remember (granted both were interim, but still). A job offer is never an insult. It might be a job you don't want or the pay might not be right--but it's not an insult.

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GBS turned down the youth thing with us before. He went wants to be a head coach. If you believe for 1 minute he would be cool with becoming a USL head coach/youth guy is laughable. Compensation for those coaches will be limited. GBS may want out of Argentina but there are plenty of teams between Argentina and MLS.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he did. But he's not getting the head coaching job here--not right now--like it or not. But he might be willing to take the chance that getting his foot in the door would get him the big job here. And lets be real. There's a big difference between USL Pro and Youth soccer. USL Pro gets paid for one. Not that much, but it is a pro job. The players will tend to be young, but I don't hear anyone calling the Dayton Dragon (A ball) a "youth team". You are misstating my point.

In baseball, which does have the kind of farm system we hope MLS could emulate, *lots* of guys (managers and coaches, I'm talking about now) move between the bigs and the minors all the time--and the moves are not all upward. Now GBS may have too big an ego for that and the money might not be right--but I'd bet the Hunts would pay more for a coach handling the USL team than just a youth coach (maybe not--they are "thrifty"). I also expect that any MLS team will not pay him Sigi money either (though TFC has been know to throw away money and so has NYRB). He's still unproven at the MLS level, no matter how much we may like him, and his potential salary would reflect that. It's doubtful he'd make as much here as in Argentina. He's a household name there--but not here. And lets be real, while there's a lot of leagues between Argentina and here, he'd likely not get a shot outside of MLS or Argentina (and most do not pay that well to boot). He has the name and respect there and here--and not so much elsewhere. Elsewhere he'd just be another foreign coach--and those do not tend to get hired in the Americas outside of MLS. He'll also not get the kind of money he was getting as a player.

But what I am saying is that my scenario is about the only way you are likely to see GBS as a Crew coach in the near future. HSG simply isn't going to fire Bob in favor of GBS--unless the start of the season is really blown badly (like 0-fer badly). But they *might* be willing to do this. If GBS is anointed as the Heir Apparent, he might be willing to risk it. I doubt he'd do that anywhere else--but he might try it with Columbus. *Might*.

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. What I am saying GBS wants to coach an MLS team. We know he wanted to coach here and now Portland. I can't see him stepping down to a 3rd division set up (I say 3rd because calling it a 2nd division would suggest it's close to MLS). Montreal just hired a coach who hasn't even coached in 4 years.
    2. He can't get a job anywhere but MLS or Argentina? Neither of us know if he can or not.
    3. Since a USL team won't pay well and other teams won't pay well it makes sense for him to be a 3rd (I did it again) division coach in the USL Pro?. How much does he make currently?

On a personal note I am not 100% sold on wanting GBS to coach our team but I do know I don't want RW here.

18. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The only thing I worry about is GBS comes here and inherits a declining team and gets no support therefore a losing proposition. It tarnishes his legacy.

on the other hand, it is GBS so even if that happens...the following year we go top of the table.

BeMassiveSoccer and foozer repped this.
  19. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing more insane than keeping Special One as coach while you appoint GBS to coach your youth side / USL team would be firing Jesse March and hiring a person with an umlaut in their last name to coach your MLS team.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I'm not saying he *can't* do what you suggest or *if* it would make sense for him. But I'm not a mind-reader. His job prospects are best where he's known. That's here and Argentina. We also do *not* know what an USL job where the USL team is a farm team for MLS would pay. No track record (but it will be *more*--as the MLS team is entrusting their future top team players to him and the USL team does *not* have to make a profit in the same way as an independent team would--it's profits come in the players it develops). What I *am* saying is that my suggestion is about the only scenario that would get GBS here. What *probably* will happen, however, is that Bliss or Lapper would coach the USL side.

21. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ives is saying he will be the Head Coach.
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/breaking-tfc-set-to-name-nelsen-new-head-coach.html

Just wondering isn't Ryan Nelson good friends with Duncan and would he leave the Crew to be his assistant Coach?

22. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  23. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about it considering that Duncan was on Vacation in England

24. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd have a better point if TFC wasn't your example. When have they ever been known for astuteness?

Skeleton Crew and CrewV Man repped this.