News: [R] 2010-11 English Football Thread (Prem, Champ, L1, L2) :: Crew Forums

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Agreed, if the choice is between Reina and flappy mcflap flap then I think I know who I would choose to be back up to.

2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be cynical but at this point in my career if I am the back up for anyone I am then looking to see who is cutting me the biggest check

3. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    good point

4. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    That was sorta the point in me asking the question.

Gomes is on his way out. No way he comes back. The howlers have finally caught up to him. He has even expressed his desire to return to PSV.

I know how sacrilegious it is to speak poorly of Friedel around here, but the man is old as ********. He is still good but he is one bad landing away from being a commentator. Which is why I can't understand the "race to sign Friedel" tags. I mean, there HAS to be other, younger, up and coming keepers out there that are a better investment.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Tottingham are going to sign Ricardo.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the big draw for Friedel stems from him coming on a free transfer. They can sign him to a 1-2 year deal and not sink any cost into him other than his wages. Add in how consistently good he has been and the experience he would bring. Put that all together and I can see why teams are chasing him.

7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. apierce61

apierce61 Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A legend hung up the boots today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzCmjLn5clQ"]YouTube - ‪Paul Scholes - The Legend (Retirement Tribute 2011)‬‏[/ame]

He played his entire professional career- 18 years- with Manchester United. He scored 102 goals in 466 appearances.

In those 18 years, he made it by in the top flight of English football without ever really learning how to tackle- having been booked 90 times and sent off 4 times in the Premier League, making him the 3rd most booked player in Premier League history. His 32 Champions League bookings remain the most of any player in Champions League history. But whether or not you hated his disciplinary record, there was no doubt that the lad could play. Word is that he is taking a position with the United coaching staff.

To Scholesy!

11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swansea City!! First Welsh team to be in the EPL since its inception in 1992. They won the game 4-2 against Reading on Saturday. I watched the game and it was a fun one to watch. Championship playoff games are a blast to watch. They have a little March Madness feel to them. They have some nice peices at the club already. Scott Sinclair (ex-Chelsea), Stephen Dobbie, Nathan Dyerm and Ashley Williams.

Their coach (Brendan Rogers) is a great story. He spent 14 years at Reading after being sacked a year ago. After the victory he shared an embrace with Reading's Chairman.

They should be a fun team to watch in the EPL next season

12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Swansea play some really, really nice soccer. Great team to watch.

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor floating around the Aston Villa twittersphere is that Mark Hughes will leave Fulham to take over at Villa Park.

14. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lateral move

15. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to chose between Villa or Fulham I would go with Villa in a minute. They have the ability to finish 4-7 every season. Also, the you have financial backing for the owner. I know Fulham's owner is rich as well but they lose money like crazy every year. The expectations at Villa are way higher as well.

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree that Villa's a bigger club. They can certainly afford to splash out more to get what they want.

But do you have any source for the assertion that Fulham "lose money like crazy every year"? My impression was that Fulham was a pretty responsible club, particularly by EPL standards.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    The only thing I know is that unless Fulham move to a new stadium their capacity will not be enough to sustain an EPL team.

18. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from a few years back but gives you a general diea

Ranking Club Debt
    1. Manchester United £716m
    2. Chelsea (Limited) £701m
    3. Valencia C.F £501m
    4. Liverpool £351m
    5. Real Madrid £296m
    6. FC Barcelona £273m
    7. AS Roma £271m
    8. Schalke 04 £234m
    9. Arsenal £203m
    10. Fulham £198m

This is from last year but an article says it has risen to £208m.
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/05/20/is-it-financial-fair-play-or-financial-foul-play/

I can't find a link but Mohamed Al-Fay (use to own Harrods) loans money to the club every year to cover its loses. So technically they have to pay him back. He is reported to be worth around 1.2 billion.

Villa has roughly has £93-102m of debt and Lerner is worth around 1.5 billion.

Part of Fulham's problem is Al-Fayed could call for his loans and they would have to pay him back while Lerner has set his debt up in a different manner.

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    If that list is accurate, there are several champions league regulars in that list and then one that sticks out.....Just goes to show how much money Al-Fayed is paying to keep his team in the EPL based on low attendances (compared to others) and little to no silverware or prize money. It is no wonder that teams don't mind yo-yoing back and forth to the Championship and getting the parachute windfalls.

Ooops forgot about the Europa League exploits, that may have had an adverse affect on finances I suppose?

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/19/football-club-accounts-debt#data

If you are interested in what EPL teams have in debt. This is pretty up to date. Few teams . All in pounds

Newcastle- 150m
    Villa-110m
    Fulham- 190m (I have seen figures saying 208)
    Everton- 45m (my team but we are still broke as hell)

Found what I was looking for. Al-Fayed "companies" has given Fulham 187mill in interest free loans

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    It is amazing the disparity in gate and matchday income. Basically ManU, Arsenal...and then the rest. And look at Arsenals wage to turnover ratio....those guys seem to be running a good ship. I am guessing the net debt is the new stadium, rather than general operating losses.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal built the Highbury apartment and condo's on the site of their own stadium. Basically when it all shakes out they will make a couple hundred mill from them in the long run.

This is my favorite page to look at when it comes to EPL finances. One line to look at is how much money the owners have put into the club.

Arsenal- none
    Man U-none (borrowed a ton)
    Chelsea- 739 million
    Manchester City- 493 million

Blackpool's wage bill last season....9 million
    Manchester City wage bill last season....133 million

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2011/05/18/sportscribddoc.pdf

23. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    David Conn is all sorts of awesome.

24. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    he is the awesome-est

25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    One would say he is a proper journalist.