News: [R] 2010-11 English Football Thread (Prem, Champ, L1, L2) :: Crew Forums

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League 2 starts tomorrow. Might as well have a thread to talk about it and the rest of the fun across the pond.

Up the Imps! This is the year we make it to League 1!

[​IMG]

2. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Blackpool does well but I don't see them avoiding relegation. I watched them play a friendly against Chester a few summers ago and had a blast. Was really excited when they got promoted and loved the excitement it generated from their fans. They expected a few thousand to welcome them back home after they won the Relegation Playoff and ended up with 60,000 fans when they arrived. Hearing 60k sing "We Are Premier League- Say We Are Premier League".

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvdFC8sh9Fw"][/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMvhIIBuxhg"]YouTube- ‪Marching On Together‬‎[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtlmw8xpQJc"]YouTube- ‪Glory Glory Leeds United‬‎[/ame]

5. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    just imagine, all those people buying stuff at walmart have a stake in liverpuddy. who'd have thought. keep buying those tacky plastic toys and those generic baby clothes!!

7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was kinda a given he was going to leave Leeds after last season. Hopefully Becchio will take over the goal scoring.

8. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackpool is an example of a team getting promoted "too early." Same deal with Hull City. It takes a few years of being an upper echelon Champ team to build up the depth and talent necessary to survive your first year in the Prem. Wolves were on the verge four years ago, but lost out in the playoffs, only to get promoted two years later. Had we gone up in 07 instead of 09, there's no way we would have had the quality that we accumulated over the next two years, and no way we would have had the existing roster to survive.

It helps to get promotion money, but in reality, you generally live or die with the guys that got you there.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey.. you're in Lincoln, now you're a Lincoln City fan. Is this new or serendipity?

And are there pancakes involved.... or something?
    ----------------
    Same to you, DAK... inspired by once sharing an Electric Utility?

:rolleyes:

------------
    Friendly: Fulham beat Werder Bremen by a bunch.

10. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the season ended today Millwall would be in the Prem, and that would be cool.

11. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually been a Lincoln City fan ever since my genealogy research turned up Lincoln as the place from which my family emigrated to the United States. That was over 10 years ago. I followed them through the awesome yet heartbreaking Keith Alexander years when they made the League 2 Playoffs three straight years (and 4 out of 5 years, including 2 Finals) but failed to promote in the early 00's. Back in the winter, I had a couple of days off in England on my way to Qatar so I caught the East Midlands Rail up to Lincoln from RAF Mildenhall and got to meet family that I've never known. It was really cool. My moving to this Lincoln was just fate at work.

12. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a half day stop through Lincoln on a college tour of England. They have some historical connection to Chaucer and Jews that most people wouldn't be that interested in, but they're my League 2 team now that I've been there and eaten Slovakian food there.

Lincoln also holds the distinction of being one of the few towns in England that actually sold their local team's shirt in their sporting goods stores. It's amazing how few towns have somewhere besides the stadium where you can buy team stuff.

13. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    As an Everton fan, I was a bit skeptical on Beckford, thinking he looked good scoring against easier defenses.
    I love to be wrong, I can't wait to see how he does against a stout defense.
    He may prove to be one of the best signings in the EPL this year.

14. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lincoln City and Aston Villa? Humph...

15. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clear conflict of interest there, I know. :p

16. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I'm more than a little concerned that Spurs seems to content to stand pat with their current roster. There is no news, ever, about any signings or even bullshit stories about potential signings. They'll be out of of the CL in no time if this remains.

17. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but is anyone making any moves? Who's the biggest import signing to the Prem this summer, that Mexican guy?

18. wemess0

wemess0 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva and Toure.

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Spurs had one of the biggest, deepest squads last year. I think the chairman had to reign 'arry in. I mean, how many strikers can spurs have/be linked with? They have 4 top quality forwards that could walk into any other team. Their midfield proved they could cover for the worst injury crisis, and the defence, well that would probably be the biggest concern, but looks like the wheeler and dealer took care of that with a raid of his old club last season.

I know that the adage is you have to spend to just maintain position but with the new squad size rules coming in spurs may not be able to. They do have a strong couple of youngsters on the fringe too. I like watching spurs play.

20. RotherhamCrew

RotherhamCrew New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Leicester, UK
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hey Mike, being a Rotherham fan I was at the Rotherham Vs Lincoln match on Saturday.

2-1 to Rotherham, good game and great opening result for us, but Lincoln can walk away with their head held high. Got to be honest, not looking like a promotion season for the Imps, lots of strong teams in L2 this season! I think the best they can hope for is to sneak into the playoffs.

We have a striker on loan from Leeds, Tom Elliot, he's 19 years old, massive, bags of pace and has lots of potential. Looking forward to this season!

21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda agree. It will be telling if the guy Moyes brought in from Portugal or him see the field first. I dont know what it is but I have a bad feeling about this season. We are a top 10 team but I just dont see us really challenging for any European spot.

22. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin O'Neill has resigned as Aston Villa's manager.

23. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Statement.

This is going to suck. Rumor is that it is over the impending sale of Milner to Man City. Also gives legs to the Ashley Young to Spurs rumors that have been circulating.

24. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa is screwed w/o Martin as the manager and selling Milner/Young...

25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I like O'Neill as a manager, would have liked to see him as England coach as he seems to be able to motivate a team to play the way he wants. I would question his transfers though. He has been able to spend a lot of money over his tenure and to be honest a couple of 6 placed finishes and a carling cup final is not much return on that. It seems that he always has a very strong 11, but then the supporting cast of squad players never looked that strong.