Qwest Insiders

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Red Card, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    While I don't think this will have an effect on MLS, the public is screaming for blood, and Anschutz could make a pretty inviting target for the Justice Department.

3. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I remember people saying it wouldn't affect his status with MLS (I just moved to Denver so I don't have as much knowledge as others). However, I'm not a Qwest fan (continually late with service) so I can't say it bothers me that they are being investigated.

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that this endears me to Uncle Phil (in fact, just the opposite), but one article a couple of years ago said he was good buddies with the Vice-Prez, Cheney. This may keep the blood hounds over at Justice off his back, at least for a while. (If I wasn't a die-hard MLS fan, this would greatly upset me. I shouldn't make deals with the devil just to support Div. 1 soccer in the U.S.)

I know many pooh-pooh this whole Qwest-collapse thing, but I bet Garber, et al. fret about it a lot more than they let on.

5. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    I think it is pretty serious and certainly casts a shadow over Anschutz's personal and business reputation. But the bottom line is whether Anschutz has any personal liability in this situation. In general I think it is pretty hard to get at personal assets via shareholder lawsuits.

Does anyone with legal expertise have any insight on this. Would shareholders have any chance of winning lawsuits filed directly against the personal wealth of Qwest corporate officers? I assume the basis of that lawsuit would be that the wealth was derived from fraudulent accounting practices.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there are also questions about how his companies are mixed within themselves: Was it like Enron, or is everything more seperate?

7. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I've got some experience in securities fraud cases.

Uncle Phil will be sued personally and in his capacity as a Board Member. So, his assets will in on the line and he a very deep pocket that every securities litigator would love to have on the complaint.

Whether or no he knew of any fraud (if there was any) is a big factor in how much he has to pony up -- ie. if he knew about the cooking of books and traded on this info all his profits in the stock and punitive damages would be up for grabs.

Even if he was not involved in the fraud, the nature of his position on the board require his to take fiduciary duties to protect the company and if he didn't take certain steps that would have been reasonable, he on the hook again.

Bottom line: Uncle Phil is likely to pony up a good chunk of change -- up to a billion if he knew about the fraud and several hundred million if he was just sort negligent.

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes, it's very worrisome, but NOBODY here knows the facts of this case. Just add it to the list of MLS worries. One day at a time.. AARRGGHH

9. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I agree with Flashman that Garber and the League honchos are probably a lot more worried about this than they are letting on.

None of us will know the exact details about the seriousness of this matter, but it may be the gravest threat MLS has faced.

10. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I have to disagree with this assessment. Every corporation has Director & Officer liability policies and almost every corporations by-laws indemnify a director or officer against any losses caused by their acts. The only exclusions are typically fraud, embezzlement, willful misconduct, etc. So if Phil were merely negligent, even grossly negligent, he probably never pays a penny of his own money. Fraud is a different story, but nearly impossible to prove and the likelihood of success on most corporate fraud cases (even in today's environment) is less than good.