Questions on Rugby/Aussie Footy

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by BhoysFC1995, Mar 6, 2004.

1. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Re: Questions on Cricket/Rugby/Aussie Footy

honestly, i don't know what/how to do it yet.

2. Adidas Fan

Adidas Fan New Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Norwich, England
    I have posted a thread on a particular subject but as of yet no one has answered which is quite frustrating. Seeing as everyone seems to get answers here i will ask the question. What is the ruling on studs in rugby union? First of all it was only round metal (traditional) rugby studs which used to be allowed, then slowly round moulded studs were allowed. But as we all know foot wear is evolving, as is the studs used on these new boots. Now rubber blades seem to be allowed or am i mistaken? Many professionals wear them during the season, therefore IRB must approve. What about metal blades, many professionals use these nowadays, therefore the IRB must approve these as well. But why is it that some refs will not allow players to play matches in them? There was a trial period in 2002 to find out if these studs were safe to wear, the results meant that players could wear them as long as they were not sharpened or jagged. Yet, some refs will not allow these. Surely IRB rulings are final. :confused:

3. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
  4. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Rugby U is not my main interest however the local media is running a story---

Clive Woodward manager of the 2003 England World Cup champions side has resigned. It appears he may be headed for a possible coaching???? position in English Soccer.
    I find this very intriguing.
    My question to the Rugby U fans out there is why switch sports after so much success. The 2 sports are not compatible IMHO.

5. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Clive was a very successful manager at national level for Rugby in England.

I happen to think he's actually better than Sven Goran Erickson as a manager of EITHER English national sporting team. SGE uses others (like Steve McClaren) to do the footballing skills training.

I don't think there's a wide gap in required team management skills between the two codes, AT THIS LEVEL. I think his skills & experience would be more than suitable for a management role.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps not, but I'd be curious to see how he does.

Not so much in the transition itself, which in itself will be very intriguing-- but let's remember that success breeds success, oftentimes.

If he's got a formula for winning, that culture could very well translate over from one sport to the other.

This is definitely something to keep an eye on, IMHO.

7. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    To the Rugby U fans out there--
    A news report in Oz today said that---

The Rugby field got shorter - Why

Adidas have redeveloped their previously rejected Rugby ball. They claim that a extra 15 metres in distance has been achieved from place kicking.
    The ball has been sent to Johnny Wilkinson in England for trials.

If accepted what does this mean tactically

8. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Some more info on the new Adidas Rugby ball--

Critics say the game could be dominated by 60 metre penalty goals.

The extra 15 metres achieved as compared to the current Gilbert Rugby ball.

Apparently some Aussie Rugby kickers have been checking it out.

9. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The same ball is being tested in New Zealand by All Black kicker Dan Carter. In the tests Dan has successfully converted from 70m out - that is well into the opponent's half.

10. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    This reminds me of that 1970's Disney movie where the team had a mule the kicked field goals for them.

11. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just one more stupid question:

How are extra points determined? I know that they are given for scoring some amount of tries in a match, but what's the rule there?

12. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    In the SH:

4 points for a win (winner only obviously)
    1 point for scoring 4 tries in a game (both teams)
    1 point for losing by seven points or less (loser only obviously)

Thus, a winning team can get:

* 4 points (a win with three tries or less)
    * 5 points (a win with four tries or more)

while the losing team can get:

* 0 points (a loss without scoring four tries or more AND losing by more than seven points)
    * 1 point (a loss while scoring four tries or more OR losing by seven points or less)
    * 2 points (a loss while scoring four tries or more AND losing by seven points or less)

13. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. Thanks!

14. JD=SuperStar

JD=SuperStar New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Australia

Anything you want to know about AFL, ask me, I live and breathe the sport. I believe it is the best sport of all time IMO. And of course you wont agree with that. But anyway ask me anything, I know everything there is to know about AFL.

Cheers all.

15. jshecket

jshecket New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Columbus, OH

here's a question:

How does the Premiership schedule work. If it's 16 teams playing 22 matches apiece, what determines which teams play each other twice?

IM me the answer. My name on AIM is the same as here.

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only way to balance the schedule lies over a two-year overlay.

Any given team (let's say, Geelong :D ) has to play a given opponent (say, St. Kilda) three times over a two-year period. For example, once this season and twice next season.

17. jshecket

jshecket New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Columbus, OH

And this is what is done? Doesn't that mean there's 1 team left over that you only play twice within two years?

18. Adidas Fan

Adidas Fan New Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Norwich, England
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering what the standard of rugby is like out there in the States, at university level? I only ask this because the other day at college(here in the UK) we had a guy come in to talk to us about going to university in the USA while getting a scholarship in a certain sport. I happen to be a rugby player and i am very interested in coming over to study and play rugby. The guy did say that there are probably only 60 universities that play/ look to sign new rugby players. I am just interested in finding out how good you are out there? On a par with us Brits? :p

It would be a great help if you could answer.
    Cheers

PS. Wilko is the KING, long may he reign over us.

19. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Good luck in your quest. :)
    :eek: Unfortunately your KING has been sitting on his THRONE for far too long, lately. Hope he can start playing rugby, soon.

He's wasted getting splinters in his derriere. :eek:

Cheers.

20. Euskadi

Euskadi New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

The standard of rugby at the university level varies. It is not at the standard of top flight UK university rugby, but it is not bad either. You can read updates of matches on www.rugbyrugby.com and click on the USA site at the top right. I played at UC Santa Barbara and the standard was good. We played in a 17,000 seat stadium (Harder Stadium) about a mile away from the beach. Currently, UCSB is ranked 13th or 17th (depending on the ranking) in the USA. All university clubs would be interested in quality foreign players willing to go to their school. We had two players play with us who were exchange students from Brighton.

21. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    OK, I haven't read through this entire thread, so this might have already been asked. But could someone post a link that explains the basics of the game? Kind of like the one on the cricket forum.

22. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basics of what game? There are 3 different sports in this forum:

Rugby Union, Australian Football, Rugby League.

23. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Oh sorry. I was looking for rugby, but I don't even know the difference between Rugby League and Rugby Union.

24. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rugby League is a beast of its own. I won't venture anywhere near it, as personally I'm not a fan of the sport. Depending on whom you talk to, it is either the only pure form of rugby, or a bastardised version of rugby. I don't personally have such a negative religious hatred towards it. It's just that it's not my cup of tea. If you read this thread from the beginning, there are links somewhere in it explaining the divorce between Rugby Union and Rugby League.