Questions on Cricket? Ask Here!

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by BhoysFC1995, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's a legacy thing - back in the day, all national sports teams were selected by a board of selectors from the game's governing association. The England football team that went to the 1950, '54, '58 and '62 World Cups were picked not by the manager, but by the FA Selection Committee.

Rugby was the same until relatively recently. In Cricket, they just haven't got round to moving on to a more modern system, although in practice the captain has a very strong say in who gets to play in any given match.

2. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Further to that, the whole concept of a "coach" in cricket is a very new one. In the past coaches worked with players on technique etc at training, but had nothing to do with tactics or what happened on match day.

Traditionally the Board picked the team, and from the team picked the captain. The captain then ran the team, set the tactics etc - supported by a manager whose job was basically to take care of the off-field stuff (hotel bookings, making sure noone missed the team bus etc). Coaches as we know them now only appeared in the late 1980's, and a lot of old time players still don't believe in them.

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    underarm bowling. how does it work? i've read about the match in 1981 between NZ and Aus. does anyone have a link to a video clip of someone doing this? did it bounce at all or just roll on the ground like a bowling ball?

4. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    In that case it rolled along the ground. NZ needed to hit a 6 off the last ball. Rolling it made this impossible. It was legal at the time, so long as the umpire was informed.

Now 2 things prevent this happening - one you can't bowl underarm without the other teams permission (happens in junior games, and in games where players may be disabled), and also the ball can't roll or bounce more than twice before reaching the batsman.

5. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    How are the amount of points determined in county matches. To me, it just seems like an arbitrary figure.

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You get 16 points for a win and a range of bonus points for scoring a certain number of runs or taking a certain number of wickets in the first 100 overs of each first innings. You can also win points for draws, which was a rule introduced about 10 years ago to stop games finishing early so often.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not quite right.

A win is 14, tie 7 (like that ever happens), and a draw 4. Bonus points apply for the first 130 overs.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. jkdd77

jkdd77 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    England
    This was an example of a mutual agreement between the Essex and Somerset captains to secure a result in a rain-affected match.

The forfeits and declarations were agreed overnight between the third and fourth days.

Essex needed the points more, so they were forced to set a fairly straightforward target, which Somerset made easily.

10. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Bandwagon? What Bandwagon?

Like many others, I've been absolutely fascinated by this Test series -- to the point of gettting up early to listen to the games on the 'net.

I had English friends fall in love with baseball during the Yankees-D'backs World Series, and told them that they really needed to realize that it's not always that exciting. I know the same needs to be said to me right now ;) but I'm sold anyway...

Here's a link to a site that I've found helpful keeping track of what's going on:

http://www.dangermouse.net/cricket/

<shuffles feet> "My name is basso, and ... um ... I'm a gloryhunter. " :D

11. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Bandwagon? What Bandwagon?

how do runners work for injured players batting?

say in the 4th Ashes test Simon jones had to bat and Strauss was going to be his runner. Simon hits a single and the batsmen run to the other sides. Does Simon now have to walk over to the other side while his partner bats?

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yes, he would walk to the "non-strikers" end.

13. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

cool. i didn't know if there was a place for him to stand on the strikers side when his runner was at the non-strikers side

14. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually he would walk out to square leg and stand next to the umpire. Then if another single or 3 was run, he would walk back into position to take strike.

15. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i'm looking at the scorecard at bbc.com for the Essex v Australia two day match and this is on there, what does it mean??

M L Hayden retd out 150 118 18 7

the "retd" part. did he just say, alright i'm done batting?

16. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    In short, YES.

Most batsmen retire "hurt" from an injury but they can also just go off to let the next one on to bat.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a warmup match, so these kinds of things happen. You won't see this in the Ashes presumably (unless due to injury).

18. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep. Because this was just a practice match and they wanted to give as many guys a hit as they could.

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Those are some juicy figures, even for a warm-up against a county side.

20. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Matt, I must say that the county's figures were just as juicy.

Almost 1100 runs in 2 days, that's just a little short of what you'd expect in a full-blown 5 day test, which saw both teams bat for their two innings.

21. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    anyone know where i might be able to acquire an England Jumper online? the kind they've worn during the Ashes this year??

22. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
  23. bcustance

bcustance New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Why is there an obsession with selecting all time XI?

24. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    people do this in all sports