Questions For Next Year

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by kool-aide, Aug 31, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this season is not quite over and there are 2 homes games left. So I understand if folks aren't ready to move on just yet. But I think it is time to start thinking about next year.

On Field

Coaching: Who will be the head coach. What realistic options (ie not expensive & not w/ secure college gigs) do you think are out there? Are there any young and hungry young coaches willing to take a chance on WPS if success means making a name for yourself earlier than you would waiting for a college head job to open up?

Players: Who would you keep and who would you let go? Who can you continue to afford? Who would you use as trade bait? Would you be willing to do something dramatic?

Off Field

Supporters: It is great that a group is starting to form. Are you going to talk to other successful groups (like the Riptide)? What will you do to support the team outside of game days?

Attendance: What realistically can be done to increase ticket sales? What can fans do vs what changes you'd like to see in the approach of ownership & management toward ticket sales?

Sponsorships: Pro sports is a business that makes its money from sponsorships. How does ATL keep (or expand) its current level of sponsorship revenue after a subpar year on the field and lower than projected attendance? Are there things supporters can to do help (trick question)?

I've asked some starter questions w/o answering them b/c I want to have an open conversation. I'll post some of my thoughts later.

2. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    I'd probably break down the players into the following categories:

Untouchable

Aluko, Blank, Chalupny, Heath, Miyama, Rasmussen, Solo

We'd Like to Keep Them, But If You Give Us Enough In Return...

Ellertson, McNeill

Trade Bait

Bachmann, Ocampo, Yamaguchi

Expendable

Bishop, Cinalli, Kerr, Maron, Nolin, Robinson, Sesselmann, Zerboni

No Opinion

Fountain, Lofton-Malachi, Makoski

I'm guessing the team really can't take on much more salary, since the decision to trade away the first round pick to Chicago screams cost-saving move. So unless we blow the whole thing up, we might be stuck with many of the same players next season.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rookies are cheap compared to other players. I think the cost savings was to get Whitworth (and maybe her guaranteed salary) off the books. But still, CRS was fairly hard up for a backup and (imo) ATL should have been able to get more in return -- or at least a more even trade. But getting Whitworth off this year's books may have been worth it.

While I agree w/ you that I'd consider selling/trading Bachmann if Aluko & Rasmussen are both coming back, I highly doubt ATL management feels that way. They've pretty much hitched their wagon to her but she simply does not share well w/ others. I'd look into trying to sell her rights to a team in Europe.

I'm guessing Miyama is out of contract after this season. I have a feeling (based on no real solid info--but Abby's said her contract is up) that a big batch of top players were on 2 year contracts. I see her looking to move back to Japan or to Europe as this is her 3rd WPS team. Maybe she loves ATL...

I agree w/ you that I'd keep Blank but given that she hasn't seen much of the field in her time in ATL, who knows what will happen. Of course, if ATL doesn't have a coach when these contracts have to be terminated or extended, then the GM & owner will be the two making player personnel moves.

4. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If the Beat got a traditional "striker", I would be a big proponent of a 4-2-3-1 formation. Rasmussen and Chalupa on the flanks seem to work very well. I don't think we have a striker who can really clean up in the penalty box.

Completely, utterly, 700% untouchable:
    Solo and Chalupny - would love for them to take on more responsibility and be co-captains. Build the team around them.

I think Robinson and Bishop have greatly improved during the season. Robinson was the Beat's best player last night.

I agree with what others have said - a really good defensive midfielder would be a huge benefit. I think Zerboni could be one of the 2 def midfielders, but we need a second one.

5. manu814

manu814 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    vi;;age
    Club:
    Zulia FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    I saw this in the local paper - web site: I think this 'Fan' ask a good question and btw I agree with his/her statement about quality of play:

Soccer Fan - Cobb wrote on Thursday, Sep 02 at 09:33 AM »
    OK, so we know now that the Beat did not make a improvement in coaching as promised, IMO they made a slide in the coaching talent with this change. The Beat were playing a much better style of game and played each team more even under O'Sullivan than this 'fitness trainer coach' they installed as the interim Coach; so now what Mr. F. Johnson? IMO, O'Sullivan should have been given more time to build this new team and I say that because I think they played a very attractive style of attacking soccer - to me it was fun to watch (I'm a huge fan & coach and watch a lot of soccer every week) YES I would have liked the Beat to win some more games, but I think those wins would have come next year from this expansion team as they matured. IMO, as Fans, and the owner - we were to greedy too soon with this new team and perhaps the players felt it and put too much pressure on themselves; so I ask MR. Johnson - what do you do now for a Coach?

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - News, Sports, Classifieds, Businesses in Marietta, GA

6. Cupidcat

Cupidcat Member

Feb 20, 2010
    germany
    Club:
    --other--

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is true that as far as on field matters, the decision of the next coach is of paramount importance. O'Sullivan didn't work out. I do not think Galanis is the right coach to lead a professional team.

Libel? That's a very big stretch. It is clear to me that Galanis was hired (as temp coverage one hopes) only because he was the fitness trainer for some of the "names" and b/c he didn't have another gig right now and was cheap. For the good of the club, I hope they are able to find a better candidate in the off-season.

I ask again. What coaching licenses does he hold from USSF and/or NSCAA? If he had an A license, why isn't that listed in his credentials or bio?

What coaching jobs --not fitness or training, actual teams--has he held? Is being Director of Medford youth club is the best he's got? If, at the end of a season, he really had players doing 2 a days the week b/f facing the top team in the league, that's extreme negligence.

Oh, and for the person who thought O'Sullivan should have been kept on--I think he should have been fired sooner. It was clear he was out of his depth and the team was regressing not improving.

8. futbolreal

futbolreal Member

Oct 31, 2009
    In order to look forward, one must ask why the infusion of the seven new players and a belatedly new coach did not advance the team beyond the team's last place standing.

There has always been talent on the Beat, but the general consensus on BS forums was the team never had the right balance of experienced players in key positions. Athletica's demise and subsequent gift of players should have corrected these initial balance issues, but did not. Why? Is the fault solely on the shoulders of the coaching staff? Did the coaching staff emphasize fitness and conditioning to the detriment of teaching tactics and game strategy as alluded by other posters? Was the initial vision of the coaching staff undercut by the owner and management who needed quick and positive results to bolster ticket sales and the team was not allowed time to develop? Did the players need a motivational, training coach, hence the recent hire?

Some of these questions need to be answered before one attempts to pick a new coaching staff and players. Hopefully the team will interview all the players and staff, both current and past to get a realistic assessment on what went wrong (and right) this season.

9. bmwus69

bmwus69 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If I following the above poster, I break down the players into the following categories:

Untouchable

Chalupny, Heath, Miyama, Rasmussen, Ellerton

Work hard to Keep Them, But If You Give Us Enough In Return...

Bachmann, Ocampo, Yamaguchi, Zerboni, Makoski, Blank, Moran

Trade Bait

Solo, McNeil, Robinson, Bishop, Kerr, Aluko

Expendable

Cinalli, Nolin, Sesselmann, Lofton-Malachi,

No Opinion

Fountain,

I base my thoughts on - keeps vs. trades - partly on what I think the team could get the most for, need for more talent and improvement on team chemistry - need quailty players for the ctr mid and center back and a big/strong finisher

10. kittenbiscuits

kittenbiscuits New Member

May 8, 2010
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why would you work hard to keep Bachmann? Hoping she's the next A-Rod? because Aluko has had far more success for the Beat than Bachmann.

I'm also not sure about using Solo for trade bait. She's had a terrible season for sure, but in that terrible season she's still shut out FCGP twice. (i have not forgotten that she's also let them score buckets on her twice as well)

Has Barcellos not wanted to return to WPS coaching? I mean since Athletica's folding there have been 3 teams replace their coach and 1 that added a coach as an assistant, but his name has never been in the running. He did great with Athletica last year and wasn't off to a terrible start this year. As Brazil's coach he knows how to coach Divas and workhorses.

11. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, I will have to respectfully, yet fully disagree with anyone who would not consider Solo untouchable. I don't even want to know how many goals we would have conceded without her in goal. I can only identify 2 goals that may have been preventable (although your average WPS GK wouldn't have made those saves either).
    Not only do we have our best asset on field in Solo, but we also have a player with a huge marketing appeal that we may not have tapped into as much as we could. Even people that didn't even know about the return of the Beat were immediately interested in the team once I mentioned that Solo was our GK.
    Definitely a keeper, no pun intended.

12. bmwus69

bmwus69 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    katandog - I disagree strongly - Solo has had a fairly poor season, theres been a few games when she was not the best GK on the field at KSU stadium; she also has a couple ongoing nagging injuries & age, Yes Solo is a marketing product to some, but not to all of us - the Beat should trade her for 2-3 high quality players (and try to get one of the stronger #1 GK's) Aluko does not work hard enough, because she seems to give a weak effort - the fans sitting around me don't support her; she seems to only score when it's put on a platter for her - Aluko is not a good team player - doesn't help the team score as a group, as far as Bachmann she is a young project but has improved as a pro this second half ( works harder and shares the ball , plays def- she has lots of upside) Again the Beat could get 2-3 quality players for Aluko. The Beat should try to sign Abby Wambach (her contract is up this season - that's your marketing product) I'm told she's a great role model for younger players; the Beat will have to act fast with Abby W because Buffalo may want her back home. I suspect Solo will go to Seattle soon anyway so The Beat should lock in a #1 keeper who will connect with the community.

13. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 2 goals she gaffed? You must have only watched one Beat game. At least 2, probably 3 of the WPS record setting 6 she allowed against FCGP were all on her.

You may be correct, she may be your best onfield asset, but she should be moved now while she still has value. And I would dispute she has marketing appeal while allowing she does have name recognoion, not all of it positive.

14. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey guys,
    I suppose we have to agree to disagree. I actually saw all of the home games and every away game that was shown on FSC and webcasts, as well as the WNT games.
    29 is not old for a keeper. She has a lot of experience and reads the game well. Sure, our defense (and actually defensive midfield even more so) made it more than hard for a keeper to boost their statistics, but without her, it would have been a lot worse.
    As far as negative name recognition, most everybody (yes, I realize, except Breakers fans, and again, that's definitely your right), including the players on the national team, have moved on from the 2007 comment. I think everybody can make a mistake, and she has more than apologized and more than paid for it. I don't believe that there are very many people who still harp on that rather than recognizing her contributions to her team, the WNT, and the sport in general. Regarding the recent comments at the Breakers game, I think we once again have to agree to disagree on that. I am not sure if trying to have another discussion about it would be all that fruitful given my attempt on the Breakers board, so perhaps it's best to recognize that we don't see eye to eye on this one.
    Best of luck to your team for the playoffs. They played very well against the Beat on Wednesday. It was great to finally see the Breakers in person.

15. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    bmwus69, I totally agree with you - Wambach would be the bomb!

16. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try to find a team who wouldn't think that! Abby would be a plus for any WPS team, even FCGP, but you have to think that the rest of us are all dreaming, Washington would have the inside track unless there is a Buffalo/Rochester expansion..... but the Beat may need a proven finisher added to the roster more than than any other team.

I am not sure anyone on the current roster should be considered untouchable if sending them elsewhere means you can get the right pieces in place. There is a lot of talent on the field, starting with a world-class GK, but this season has shown that maybe that isn't the place to build from when there are so many other holes. The Beat need to find a consistent finisher or 2, Aluko, Ocampo, Bachmann showed some good stuff at times but mostly didn't get it done. Boston's season turned around when players not named Smith started hitting the net, and the same for Washington when Wambach got some help. Who would be your go-to finisher and who is going to supply the support for that player in Atlanta?

The Beat need to make some decisions starting with the coach. Once decided who will lead them, determine what players are already there who fit with the team and coach's goals and what players are needed to fill the holes.

You can debate player by player on indivdual merit but it doesn't mean a lot without being placed in the context of the whole team style/philosophy.

17. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    socfandan, great assessment! I agree with you that we need a finisher. We don't have enough presence in the penalty box. Who could be that player, in your opinion?

I also agree that it all comes down to who will be chosen for the coaching position, so discussing individual players may not really be all that pertinent at the moment.

18. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to address the 2nd question first, but the person you need may be on the roster already. Look what happened for A-Rod when she got the chance to play for another coach. Who would have though Angeli would have done what she is doing for Boston until forced into the line-up by injury?
    Cheney was looking like A-Rod/Boston II for the first half of the season, had a very strong 2nd half.

And who even knows who is available? Who is out of contract, who is heading back to Europe, who would like a change of scenery, are there unknowns coming out of the draft who will surprise? Will we see any of the Germans and other Euros after the WC or in 2012? (if there is a 2012 for WPS).

It will a very interesting off-season from a league business perspective as well as from a roster building one. Hoping WPS survives, otherwise this is all moot!

19. katndogs

katndogs New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    atl
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hear, hear!

20. Snail_ATL

Snail_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You're right on the money, socfandan. If this season has shown us anything, it's that having a collection of great players with no clear strategy, organization, or vision from the coach is not a recipe for success. The first priority should be getting in the best coach we can, and then allowing her/him to build the team.

Just personally, given our form this season, I'd like to see a side that is built around the better midfield players we've got, specifically Chalupa, Rasmussen, and Miyama. I think the midfield and center of defense have been better than other areas of the park for us. I'd hope for more options in the back, particularly on the flanks, as well as more options up top.

21. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of your roster is the real deal, some is not. My analogies often suck, so bear with me, but it isn't always about quality ingredients, the recipe needs to come first, and the flavors need to blend.

I love fine chocolate, and also love wonderfully fresh corn on the cob with ribs, but don't coat my corn or my ribs in fine chocolate, it ruins both. Kinda like fruiting my beer :)

You have an admirable cast of forwards on the roster, but maybe you have some chocolate mixed in with those ribs. Get the recipe right first, find some corn to go with the ribs or some whipped cream to go with the chocolate. With the talent there, combined with the strngth of the midfield, it is sad to see the offensive philosophy reduced to playing long balls in hope of an Aluko breakaway. You all should be seeing some much tastier soccer being played.

Same thing at the back, Boston had 4 internationals last year, from 3 countries. Mitts was out of place on the left and got toasted more than once. Chapman and Lepelbet never quite got the same page in center defense (although were reading the same book at some points). This year, Boston has 4 internationals at the back from 3 countries who all compliment each other... some speed, some smarts, some grit and I would put them up against any team in WPS. Were last year's struggles Mitts or Chapmans fault? Nope. They are quality players. Just the wrong flavors.

I loved Bishop with Boston last year, but she was a flank midfielder for them. (I give her extra points for allegedly getting herself waived at halftime of a game she started and stood up to the coach about comments in the locker room... all rumor but a good story IMHO). Is she a star? Nope. Can she be a key contributor? Yup. But only in the right recipe.

In the Beat's case, pick a chef whose taste you like, let him/her decide on the recipe, then see if the ingredients are already in the pantry or if you need to go shopping.

22. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I officially have the powers to trade you Loyden and Cristiane from CRS for Solo and if you want to throw in Aluko that's cool to. Just send me over the paperwork and we can swap, cool?

Okay I was joking because I think wanting to trade Solo is batsh!t crazy, having a crappy season happens. I think you guys as fans need to start by having reasonable expectations on who you can get and what will happen.

Unless Solo's unhappy I would highly doubt she's going anywhere, like her or not, she's an actual name for the club to market. Why would management give that gem up because she had a crappy year? And really the likely hood of Wambach leaving a team she's always played for and we'll say a "personal life" so that she can make maybe a smidge more with The Beat just isn't very likely.

I'm not saying any of this to be a jerk, I just think fans need to have reasonable expectations and remember that there are A LOT of factors that go into signing and not signing players in a league in which lack of money and marketing play a huge factor in management and players decisions.

Oh and the rumor on Barcellos when CRS was looking for a coach was he was asking for too much money, so if you don't sign him up, that may be why. You've got a good team that's missing a piece or two, with the right coach, you're easily in the playoffs next year.

23. bmwus69

bmwus69 New Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    we'll trade you Solo and Aluko for Loyden, Rapinoe, Engen & Boquete and you have a deal - call the league office let's sign! The Atl club house would support this move ... big time!!!

24. supermoo

supermoo New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wei - completely agree. Trading Solo would be a huge mistake - beyond ridiculous.

25. AtlBeaterteacher

AtlBeaterteacher New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope will hate this -being statistics and all- there have been over 130 shots on her goal this year (last night has not been updated) and she has 96 plus saves. Oh and she as more minutes in the net than any other WPS gk except for Loyden. They are pretty close in minutes, but Joden has slightly more. I think after last night, Hope's saves have reached the 3 digit mark.

What no one has mentioined here is that as a team, there has been so many ingredients thrown in to the pot and then removed due to injury that there has really been no true meshing of the players on the field. Throw in the coaching change at the end just for laughs. Last night they finally came together as a team. Unless there was a contract issue or a player wanted to leave the ATL, keep them, even Gelanis (as fitness trainer, jury is still out on as coach-but things are coiming together for the girls.) They will tell you that (I talked to a few of the m last night). So it is too late for this season, but they are already thinking about finishing out strong and looking toward next.

We have the right ingredients for this team, they just need to age and be kept together so they can mesh as a team. Next season will be great.