Questions About Women's Leagues' Salaries

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by EvanJ, Apr 15, 2015.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know…

1. What women's leagues pay the most (converting to a common currency)?
    2. What women's leagues pay the most relative to the cost of living in that country?
    3. What women's leagues pay the most compared to the top men's league in that country?

An episode of Law & Order (mostly realistic fiction) once had a woman playing soccer in Mexico one summer and making enough money to buy a car. I don't think that's realistic.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #2 SiberianThunderT, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Basically, if you're a big-name international player, you can make a lot. You can also make a fair amount if you're on a particularly rich club, usually those in Europe back by their respective men's clubs. Otherwise, though, chances are you're not making much. I'm not sure how different leagues stack up versus domestic cost of living, but even those will vary wildly within a single country.

There was an article last week that gave some very good numbers:
    http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/nwsl-players-chasing-the-dream/
    Going to your example, Mexico doesn't care much for WoSo, so I'm guessing that your gut feeling about owning a car likely is unrealistic. However, if you had a Mexican WNT player on a club that's backed by a LigaMX club, I could see that working, especially if the car isn't fully owned yet (i.e. still making payments) and/or it's not a high-end car. You also have many WoSo players finding ways to save money, like being roomates or finding host families. I could also see one summer's worth of pay being more than enough to buy a car if you assume that's all the summer's pay went to, i.e. the player had other finances secured whether she played soccer that summer or not, which is how many players have to live anyway considering how little money there is in WoSo in general.

LouisianaViking07/09 and blissett repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Speaking for Germany it's kinda hard to tell what they earn for playing footy cause e.g. there are players who are pro, semi-pro and amateurs. E.g. a player like Alex Popp is employed at Wolfsburg's zoo. Clubs provide players with jobs. So it is hard differentiate what they earn from playing at what they get from their other jobs. Most players probably can get a long with their pay but there's not much left for after the career. That's why most go to university, make apprenticeships etc. For example a star player like Prinz is physical therapist now. I heard you have to be NT player regularly appearing in the CL to make a good living- whatever that may mean.

Most of female footballers I know also didnt start for becoming a star but for the love to the game. Turning your hobby into a career is considered a gift.

4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #4 JanBalk, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Sweden may be a candidate for point 3 since female Soccer players earn about the same as in Germany and France and male Soccer players far less.

2013 total salaries for the 16 clubs and our men's top league (Allsvenskan) was 643 800 000 SEK and for the 12 clubs in out top women's league (Damallsvenskan) was 69 776 000 SEK.

That is all salaries not just players but non-player's part is normally very small.

So in average Allsvenskan pay their player seven times as well as Damallsvenskan pays theirs.

slightly more than 9 SEK/Euro, and at the moment slightly less than 9 SEK/$

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, unless it was a very cheap car it do sounds impossible.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Top wages in the FA WSL are rumoured to be £40,000 per year plus what the FA gives for central contracts ie £20,000 per year.
    In France l'equipe had a great article about the economy of women's football.
    Number of professional player is 96 out of 234 in the Division 1 feminine.
    Highest wage is 17 000€/month for Lotta Schelin average wage is 3 700€ per month.
    The average wage figure is distorted by the PSG and OL contracts, without those 2 teams the avarage wage is below 1 000€ per month.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Today in l'equipe there was a full page on the coupe de France final and the UEFA WCL. Wolfsburg budget us around 3.5 m€ while PSG is 6.5 to 7m€

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Player salaries budget or full club budget(stadium rent etc...)?

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Full budget . PSG have a big budget on transport for example. They chartered private jets for their away champions league game in Glasgow and Wolfsburg.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Judging by men's footy where the player salaries make up to 50-60% of the budget I guess WOB player budget is around 1m EUR. We can say those are the wages only cause transfer fees hardly exist in the women's game to this day. 1m / 25 players = 40.000 on average. Youth players probably make 0-2500 EUR per year while WOBs top players probably earn up to 80-100.000 in salary and premiums per year. PSG is probably around 3.5-4m with an average salary of 140.000 per year.

Now these are the topdogs of women's footy. Bayern, Frankfurt, Lyon and Rosengard maybe pay a little less. The rest of all "pro clubs" will pay salaries that are much lower and will sometimes be enough to make a living and sometimes not so that those players have other jobs.

LouisianaViking07/09 and gricio61 repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure which amount or money we are talking about, but INAC Kobe Leonessa in Japan is for sure another club that pays players as professionals. In their ranks there are a lot of high-profile NT players (Sawa, Kawasumi, Ohno, Kinga, Sameshima, Kaihori, etc.) and those players train full time and probably kinda make a living out of their careers, since they don't have other jobs (most of the players in other Japan's clubs have at least a part-time job instead, or they have a job provided by the club, similar to what's been said about Popp in Wolfsburg above: these clubs are NTV-Beleza, Urawa Reds Ladies and some others).

If you're interested I can try to ask on the Nadeshiko Japan thread if anyone knows what's INAC's budget. I am not sure if exact wages are disclosed, but I can try asking.

gricio61 repped this.
  12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, those are just educated guesses. Im sure Marta earns a lot too. But yes this was a bit euro-centric. I think we'll see a similiar pattern in Japan and the US.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In England there is a salary cap that states that teams cannot spend more than 40% of their operational budget on wages. According to l'equipe the biggest wage at PSG is around 10,000 € a month

gricio61 repped this.
  14. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well then my guess of 120.000 EUR per year seems about right. What I was wrong about is probably the player budget. The jet is probably by far the biggest cost factor. PSGs player budget isnt all too far WOBs it seems.

Seger, Alushi, Boulleau, Henning, Assllani likely play in that league.

15. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Should be considered "professional" only those who only kick a ball for a living right? Because if it's the case there isn't 96 professional players in France but only Lyon, PSG , Montpellier players plus the foreigners....all the rest still amateur with an "extra financial help"...so more like semi-professional or something like that .
    PSG best player is by far Shirley Cruz and the most "prestigious" is Linda Bresonik or Alushi....I say prestigious not popular..if someone else is earning more than these three players they have to fire their agent....

gricio61 repped this.
  16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The commentator said during the CL final that PSGs player budget was 4.5 mil EUR.

blissett repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    well why are the wages in those leagues so high compared to say NSWL?

I figured that indeed the average would be distorted by this monstrous clubs spending. I wonder though do they make a profit or simply they just throw away cash at the women's game.

JanBalk repped this.
  18. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #18 JanBalk, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Soccer clubs in Europe rarely does any profit on either men or women's side (with some exception), they tend to use the money to get better results while trying to break even. Most investors is in it for the prestige and/or PR.

And for a smidgeon of the money needed to get any results on the men's side you can do a heck of the lot on the women's side, so compared to spending it there spending it on the women's game probably gives a better return (in result and thus prestige).

gricio61 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Arsenal Ladies account for the season 2015/16 is as follows :

They made a £54,000 loss that season as this :

Turnover (+) £277,000, Operating expenses (-) £343,000, Profit on disposal of player registrations (+) £14,000

But the real figure is next : additional operating costs also relating to Arsenal Ladies activities of £1,298,000 were borne by the company's immediate parent company ie Arsenal FC

The real Arsenal Ladies budget for 2015/16 therefore was £1,641,000 ie 1 880 000 € or $1 994 000

gricio61, JanBalk, BlueCrimson and 2 others repped this.
  20. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well I don't know if OL players own cars....the one players usually use is given by their sponsor Renault.
    However, football-money allowed Renard to open her restaurant called Wendie's in Martinique and Henry her beauty salon called Amandine Henry Coiffure near Lyon.
    Amandine always said she was planning to be a hairdresser if she didn't make it as footballer so I guess she realized one of her childhood dream...:thumbsup:.

JanBalk, gricio61, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    L'equipe today says PSG's budget is 7M€, OL 5M€, Bayern 2,4M€.
    The last Man City budget 2015/16 was around 2, 174 M€ at the current exchange rate.

Considering the current squad list compared to last year, the main part of the PSG budget goes clearly in the infrastructure and logistics and not on the wages.

gricio61 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.