Questions about JOB

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Treetaliano, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    This weekend I received a copy of USA-Portugal in the mail and was finally able to see and hear the American (Mine eyes have seen the glory) version of the broadcast.

At halftime, there was a nice segment on JOB that showed a lot of highlights and an interview. It left me with a few questions though...

#1 He left California at age 16 to go to the Ajax Academy, that is well known...but exactly how does one do that? I was under the belief that if Ajax liked you as a youth player, they would sign you and then you could train there etc...The way the ESPN thing portrayed it was more like a "university". You go, you pay, if they like you you can move up etc...How exactly does this work? Did he have to pay to go there? If not, what did JOB do in his youth to get looks from Ajax..I dont recall him playing for any of the US youth teams.

#2 Earnie Stewart was also featured in this interview, and he made some comments about how difficult it was too move up in the ranks of the Ajax Academy and what an accomplishment that is for a foreigner and particularly an American. He also made a comment that "it is the dream of every Dutch boy to play for Ajax". While certainly not every kid in Holland wants to play for Ajax, I'm wondering how many kids are in fact at the Academy and how difficult it really is to get to the first team. Secondly, we all know about the Dutch who have gotten their start there, Davids, Bergkamp, Seedorf etc...but how many Foreigners have achieved what JOB has coming through thier systems?

#3 They showed some highlights of a few of his goals. One in particular was AMAZING and I wonder who it was against and whether i was a Dutch League match or a Dutch Cup...I'll try to cue it for you...

The opponent was wearing all black kits and the keeper had a grey/yellow kit...A cross comes in from the right and JOB jumps what seems to be 10 feet in the air and volleys it with his foot making contact at the same level as his markers head (he was parrallel to the ground) and the volley goes postage stamp to the upper right corner of the goal. Stunning. I've seen many beautiful goals in my life, but not many as sweet as this. IMO it beats the Zidane volley vs Leverkusen, as JOB was running and making contact with a hard cross and not standing stationary waiting for a lob to come back down (not to take away from Zidane's goal as it was a beauty as well)

Any know who the opponent was, what season, and where it can be downloded??

2. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
  3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Thanks for the link. So that article answers question #1 about how he got to the Academy

I didnt think Feyenoord wore black...

4. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Sounds like that segment you watched was taken from the profile of JOB shown at halftime of the USA-Ireland game. Yeah, that was an incredible goal by Johnny O.

As for your first question, IIRC JOB's coach when he was 16 had some Ajax connection. Some scouts looked at him, liked what they saw, and offered him a place at the Ajax academy. You don't have to pay anything to go there, they take of everything. You learn how to be a soccer player while at the same time you also continue with schooling. I met a guy for example who studies at the University of Amsterdam and had an economics class with JOB.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Pretty sure it was last season - league game - I don't remember the opponent, but I don't think it was Feyenoord. Utrecht maybe (I don't think it was one of the stronger opponents)?

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  7. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Planet Earth
    I believe it is Vitesse. Feyenoord does have a kit as their away last year. But when you mentioned the opposition's goalie wearing yellow and black, then it is Vitesse.

8. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Ok thanks again...I cant get the video goals section on ajax.nl to work to see that one, but from all accounts the description seems correct. If any knows of a link that i could find an mpeg of that it would be great

Now if someone could answer question #2...

-Tree

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Rafael van der Vaart is only freakin 19 years old????? He is probably more accomplished than players like Saviola, Hargroves, and Cisse. How the hell is he still playing for Ajax?

sorry this is the wrong forum for this but I opened that link and that was the first thing I saw in the article and it pretty much blew me away

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think the answer to your question is here, also even more of an answer to #1 if yout still unsure. also gives a story of the only other American to go through the Ajax academy

http://www.ajax-usa.com/ajax/youth/

11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Cisse gets the nod for scoring for his club while Hargreaves and Saviola for playing for the country more often and not missing 1/2 the season to injury. I'm just taking a guess. Plus, it's the media. Ya have to learn that 3/4th of the crap is, well, crap. :)

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    hehehe very good point. I still wish I would get a chance to see him play though