Question on Peruvian Teams in Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'Peru' started by tigersoccer2005, Mar 26, 2004.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general I am proud becuase the peruvian teams seem to have raised their overall level of play compared to the last few years.....However as things stand now only Sporting Cristal seems to be in a comfortable position.

I have a question-----Do Cienciano (what a shame that 3-3 tie was!!) and Alianza Lima (nice win last night!!) still have a chance of advancing or are they now officially eliminated ?

2. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Alianza still has a chance.
    Cienciano is eliminated

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    alianza need a miracle

first liga de quito need to lose against cobreloa in quito
    and they need to beat sao paulo

cienciano shot themselves in the foot by not having a proper pre season and playing all those games all accross the country during january

4. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info---here's to hoping that good fortune accompanies Alianza. It would be a shame if they were to lose because they steadily improved their play throughout the tournament--started out real slow and then seemed to pick up their level of play as the first round progressed. Farfan has to be one of the most skillful players ive seen come out of Peru in a while---a real creative force who is dangerous even in very small enclosed spaces. And as for Cristal--I hope they do major damage in the second round!! =)

Even if Alianza does get eliminated I think I would not be too far off the mark by saying that this year may have marked an important turning point for Peruvian soccer as a whole--it seems we're on the verge of an upswing!! =) Vamos Peru--a clasificar al Mundial!!

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i think cienciano victory in copa sudamericana really gave the inspiration alianza and cristal needed

cienciano as a team are not even close to alianza and cristal in terms of player quality but they never gave up they played as a team

now cristal is doing the same and alianza is also starting to believe in themselves

6. Diego Londoño

Apr 4, 2000
    Medellín, Colombia
    Me gusta mucho el fútbol del Sporting Cristal. El Camello Soto está en un excelente momento. Creo que van a estar mínimo en semifinales de la Copa Libertadores (obviamente, si conservan ese nivel de juego).

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    if cristal win their group they would meet boca(provided they win their group)

in 97 we meet defending champs velez and knowcked them out

it might happen again;)

but seriosly

cristal have found rithim early on hopefully they can carry on and bet coritiba in brazil to assure first place and qualification

8. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    I know Cienciano is playing in Arequipa because the team is remodeling thier stadium in Cusco - but didn't the home advantage of playing in Cusco's high altitude outweigh the money made by having more seats in Arequipa?

Why didn't they wait - at least going into 2nd round to remodel their stadium? Or till off-season?

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    good question

i think they got to cocky

to be honest if you look at the peruvian general table

cienciano was 6th

the rules were the champ of the apertura goes to libertadores
    the champ from clausura goes to libertadores

and the 3rd best team overall gets the last spot
    alianza atletico and sport boys should have played a play off to decide who goes since they both had 63 overall points

but la federacion found a loop hole and cienciano got in

10. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    The stadium needs to be ready for the Copa America third place match in July.

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    sporting cristal, do they really have a chance vs BOCA jrs en la bombonera?

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    with a full squad maybe

but the injurys are going to cripple them

already villalta and cominges are out for 4 weeks
    soto is still not 100%
    neither is rodriguez

its not looking good

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    cayeron con los guayos bien puestos! no se dejaron pasar por un Boca dificil de leer en el campo, El Virrey es todo un zorro del futbol.

vieron los guevos que le metieron los de sao paulo/Rosario central a ese partido? para mi el mejor de la semana. Tipico y tradicional Juego duro y luchado de NUESTRA Copa Libertadores.....puras ganas los dos! Como sufrieron en tribuna.........

14. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    well thats that

positives from la copa were
    villalta, cominges and moisela proved they are ready for the national team

soto proved that he is not a right back with great performances in the midfield

and of course
    Henry Quinteros goal against Boca
    Sergio Juniors scissor kick against Curitiba
    and Jorge Soto chalaca aka chilena masterpiece