Question of Rivalries forums guideline.

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by junjunforever, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Who, what, where, when, how?

2. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Well, Skipshady did that fine by pointing out the racism would not be accepted in Asian Rivalries.

3. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Exactly. And, to our unpleasant surprise, the guidelines that the moderators set up is not enforceable with cards. Apparently the supermods have their own standards. But all would be fine if the there was a clear understanding of what is acceptable and what is not, and an explicit, step-by-step explanation of what happens to people who violate them.

I mean, one guy was reprimanded for calling Iranian women's hijabs "tents" and that was considered racist. Sheesh people, use the same standard.

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm not offended by your petty insults, rotten misquote and woeful ignorance. All that did was display how much of a hypocrite you are in all of this and how much you're willing to lie to get what you want. FYI - You're the one thats whining and crying, not me. I provided alternatives for you and your side to follow while moderators and admin work on a resulotion. What's so hard about an ignore list? What's so hard about the choices you make when you go to forums? See, essvee, the 'job' of a moderator is to look at all sides of every argument, not just yours. While I'm sure you would've loved for everyone to just jump at your whims, that's not what will happen, and that's why you're all bent out of shape.

So please do not command that others do a job which you clearly don't know the first thing about. Not gonna happen.

5. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    I can see that there is no constructive dialogue here. Alex, can you at least admit that you are so upset right now that no new information is being heard by you?

I thought I posted a reasonable, well-thought out piece, but you came back to me with some bit of venom.

I know moderators are human too, and if you feel you are too upset to keep youself from saying stuff that you normally would not, might I suggest you stop replying to us for a while, until you cool down?

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Oh I'm a hypocrite? Never did I display intolerant racism to piss anybody off. Lie? Again, when? where? how? what did i say?

Oh please, those are not alternatives. The only alternative should be stricter and tighter guidelines. If you want to support Tripple Block, just admit it.

So are you saying that tripple block followed the rules of Asian Rivalries?? We're simply pointing out that racism occurs continously and frequently and merely suggested that you guys do something about it to stop it from ever happening again. But now you're calling me a hypocrite.

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sorry, but I didn't write anything particularly scathing in my response to you. I apologize if you took it that way, but there was nothing venemous in that post. Maybe you should take another look at it... I don't see the anger in it, and I'm not angry in any of the posts - it's like I said, I call it as I see it. I reiterated what I said and offered another perspective and take.

However I did have choice words for the likes of junjun or essvee, who blatantly lied about what I had said and are more than showing that their side is far from innocent, and could very well be a big part of the common problem.

8. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    I do apologize for Junjun. He remind me of myself when I was younger. A bit hot-headed. Looking back, I do think you may have bunched essvee and junjun together at one point. It seems essvee lost his decorum when he felt like he was being addressed like he posted some of the stuff Junjun did.

Anyway, I guess it suffices to say that the complaint has been lodged. And, we'll go on with our lives. However, if the same thing happens, then we'll have to lodge another complaint at that time. Thanks.

9. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sure - you lied by taking one sliver of what I wrote without keeping the whole intact. You left out the backbone of what I said, and the alternatives that I gave, to slant the quote in your view. Misrepresentation at it's best. Granted it wasn't as bad as what junjun did, so I apologize if that was the take that you thought I had.

There are plenty of alternatives - they just aren't alternatives that you want to hear. Maybe your alternative isn't the best one either. Then what?

An alternative is getting rid of the forum altogether. Which takes me to my next point - it's not about being in support of "Triple Block" or even you, despite what you have condescendingly said about admin/moderators. It's about doing what's best for the forums. And please drop this "you're either with us or against us" attitude.

You really are only reading what you want to read. I said, in that quote: "See, essvee, the 'job' of a moderator is to look at all sides of every argument, not just yours." What this means is that there is more to the side than just you or Cube Cubed. If you want to fix a forum or to improve and revamp it, you have to consider how it effects everyone - not just you.

Be patient. Admin/moderators are working together for a resolution for the forum that will benefit everyone.

10. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Come on guys, take the man at his word. Perhaps we have been too impatient, eh? Let's give it some time.

11. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No worries - again, I apologize if I seemed over the top with my response to you. No need to apologize for junjun, that is on him. If that is how essvee feels, then I apologize to him as well, I did not mean for him to be seen in the same light but had to roll my eyes at the comments about moderators doing the job when he doesn't know everything that happens and wishes for everyone to jump at his slanted whims. When I write the longer messages, I'm trying to relay a point - right or wrong, agreeable or disagreeable, and a reason behind it. It isn't meant to preach, but to explain my POV.

What will probably end up happening is that there will have to be more clear cut definitions of what is offensive and what is not offensive while maintaining the delicate balance of keeping the rivalry forums... rivalry forums. Many of the moderators will not know exactly what sets off other posters in the forums, so they kind of fly by the ear with it. For the overwhelming most part, the moderators are not out to slant towards one particular group. But... again there is only so much that they know about everyone. One thing that posters would do is send me a PM if there was something that offended them, and I could look at it there, or have dialogue with the poster. I would suggest that posters do that with the moderators of the Asia forums as well, send Skip a PM, etc.

Some things would not set me off like it would other people. The 'dog-eater' jokes are admittedly in poor taste (no pun intended), but they would not warrant an instant reprimand to me. On the other hand if the individual was referring to people using racial slurs or epithets or making fun of the color of someone's skin, it undoubtedly would. But then someone else might look at that differently. Many people write that Americans are fat slobs, English have bad teeth. Sometimes AMerican posters get offended, but where do you draw the line to make sure the forum, which is home to some ignorant bantar, can still exist. I view these comments as being based out of ignorance.

We have to see what happens and come up with the solution that is fair for all involved. That isn't meant to belittle your side at all, far from it. If it means revamping the rivalry forums, then that is what will have to happen.

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

As someone who doesn't really like Rivalries forums, to be honest I can't really see the point of the whinging here. As has been said, Rivalries forums are the toilets of BigSoccer, and I can't really see the point in being overly discerning about the quality of excrement contained therin.

I hold the maxim that if I go into Rivalries, I pretty much expect that I'm going to be attacked no-holds-barred, anything-goes. Obviously, the mods for the forum don't have such low standards and they will delete posts, ban and card members that fall below their standards as they see fit. HOWEVER (and this is the really, really, important part) I make no assumptions about what their standards are. Because the lines on what is and is not acceptable are so grey in a forum where being offensive is the norm, I place 100% trust in the mods' expertise to handle the forum how they see fit. A direct consequence of this is that I have no expectations for the mods to live up to my personal standards. This means that I can have no complaint if they fail to do so.

It's been said over and over again - by entering Rivalries, you forfeit all rights to having an objective stated standard as to what is and is not acceptable, as is the norm in other forums. Rivalries Mods move in mysterious ways - when you click on the link, you accept that and you accept their ultimate authourity. It's not democratic. A lot of the time, it won't seem fair. Tough. That's how it works - take it or leave it.

I choose to leave it. Guess what? It doesn't hurt me a bit.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

It's all about geo-politics folks...

14. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First it was   , now it's Alex_1

Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    From the quote I provided, it's EVERYBODY!!

It's a giant conspiracy against the Koreans!!! :D

16. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Alex_1

I apologize for my temper. Now that I re-read my posts, I was hot-headed and often lacked composure. I'm sure you guys are trying your best. Keep up the good work :)

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

If this isn't woorijim's secret scheme to oust me in that secret discussion you guys got going in the Korea forum then I must say you're too nice for Rivalries... stay away.

18. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    The issue is about consistency.

Not so long ago there was a flame war between Iranians and Koreans within the Asia forums.

What resulted was that a thread was created attacking Skipshady for allegedly being biased towards Koreans. Total rubbish imho, if he'd been lenient it was towards everybody equally.

A whole lot of shrill hysterics and mud-slinging later they got what they wanted, which was the carding of quite a lot of Korean posters (IIRC not one non-korean poster was carded) and the creation of a new Iranian mod.

Let me make it clear that the new Iranian mod hasn't been biased so far imho. What I mean to highlight is that they got everything they wanted.

IMHO the whole incident had both sides equally at fault.

Now we have this guy just turning up in the Asia forums, never been there from what I know and has no history with Koreans, and immediately begins attacks on Koreans.

The things he says are beyond anything that has ever been said even within Rivalries and constitute attacks based on racial profiling. You may or may not agree that it constitutes racism.

What I want to highlight is that in the Iran-Korea flamefest quite a lot of Koreans were carded, which could be fair enough, yet when 3 blocks comes and does worse he's excused ..

A lot of us, including me personally, feel that there should be one standard for everybody.

I feel that one of the aftermaths of the thread against Skipshady was that now Koreans have been unfairly tagged as "troublemakers" and treated as such by the administration.

We've been told that anything goes within Rivalries and if we don't like it we shouldn't go there.

Fine, but when we ask for clarifications of what is and isn't allowed we are given unclear answers. This leads to frustrations, which is what you're seeing from junjunforever and essvee.

All we ask for is consistency and equal treatment.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading [​IMG]

19. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It seems like several of the Korean users are using the protection of their language on their own board to insult other users and nationalities with the Korean mod allowing it and even participating in these so-called discussions: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182743&page=11&pp=15

The Korean posters in question all speak perfect English yet they are using Korean on an English dominated message board for the reasons mentioned.

Normally one could look past this since it's in the privacy of their own language on an English dominated message board, but I find it rather hypocritical if they are complaining about racism in a rivalries forum but do it amongst themselves in their own board, where views like that aren't permitted by TOS.

20. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Yes Korean_Football and Woorjim made it perfectly clear that its ok to type Korean as long as it remains in the Korea Forum. But, how can you tell that we were being racist? You must be a linguist now?

21. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You can't hide behind your language in the 21st century.

22. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    You truly can't help yourself can you?

All I see out of you is lies, allegations, and shrill accusations .. I even translated for you the post you seemed concerned about. What more do you want?

And how come you don't complain about Iranians using latinised-farsi outside of the Iran board?

If only you wouldn't edit the results for your willful little tantrums ..

That post I translated for you doesn't mention oil anywhere, yet you claim that it does.

Get that persecution complex out of your head .. and get a life pls. Get out and feel the sun on your face, or meet some new people, read a book, etc. This boards aren't that important.

23. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
  24. RafaMarquez

RafaMarquez New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rosarito

LOL ahahaah

ps : three boxes or three squares whatever your name is, your nick is ********ing hilarious and awesome hahahahah.

lol three boxes :)

25. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Koreans here are obviously getting very defensive on the subject so much so that they are throwing personal insults at me outside rivalries.