Question about your stadium?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by flava, Aug 7, 2005.

1. flava

flava Member

Jun 3, 2005
    I was watching the RSL vs Chivas games and noticed that the players had indoor soccer shoes. I assume that your pitch is artificial grass then? Also, was this the same pitch (that is, artificial grass) that the US team played the WC qualifier? Thanks.

2. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    It's artificial turf, but they brought in grass for the WCQ.

3. flava

flava Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Was it grass at the begining of the season as well? I remember games looking like they were being played on grass?

4. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Nope, they had just painted the football lines... but perhaps since football season is about to begin, they do not want (or can't) do it again.

5. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I appreciate your support. Salt Lake's demonstrated that are MLS to stay, but when will you guys start to build the new SSS and where?

6. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Checketts mentioned that they have targeted labor day weekend to hopefully have a decision on location... so they could begin in early 2006, with likely ready for 2008 season (perhaps an off chance they get it done for a partial season in 2007)

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Are the pointy ball lines at your stadium going to be coming in shortly? Will the big U in the middle of the field be there for your games? Are these things that can be removed between games?

I watched the game this past weekend against Chivas and it looks like you guys have created a great atmosphere. Just imagine how good it will be on grass in your own soccer stadium.

8. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, considering we had well below average attendance at this past game, thanks for the compliment. However, we have had an average of 18K at our matches. I was actually a little dissapointed at the turn out, make that WAY dissapointed.

Oh, and what's grass? ;)

BTW, I was on ESPN!!! WOOO HOOO!

9. Rocky J Squirrel

Nov 24, 2003
    Brigham City, Utah
    Other than when Real played the 3 games on temporary grass, most of the players wear molded cleat boots with about 17+/- cleats about 1/2 inch long, the same as worn on firm grass. I have seen no 6 stud boots nor astro-turf 100 pimple shoes. Field-Turf plays like grass but smells like hot tires under a hot sun.

10. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    I hope it's not the sign of things to come , less and less fans at home games. I am sure it must have been a hot day for RSL fans not to show up like they did in the past.

11. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yeah... I'm not that worried. It was about 100 degrees in the middle of the day on a summer day - lot's of people in Utah are on vacation/school starting etc...

It was not pleasant to sit there and I am a diehard fan.

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i felt like i lost about 5 pounds in water just sitting there. it was HOT. im sure that discouraged a lot of people from showing up, that and the fact that people around here dont want to watch the bottom dwellers come play they would rather see the galaxy or the hoops. especially considering they could sit in their nice air conditioned homes and watch it on espn2. there were also a lot of concerts and other things to do over the weekend.

all well, when all is said and done at the end of the year if i look back and see that our second lowest and lowest attendances were 14k+ and 12k+ respectively on a sweltering hot day and a wednesday both against the chivas i will not be disappointed.

13. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Blame Chivas.

Nobody wants to see them play. Especially when they have a bunch of hacks playing for them.

:D :D :D

14. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Where do you guys think the new stadium will be, and where do you think that new stadium SHOULD be as in attendance, easy access etc..

15. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    What's the TV ratings in your market like. If the ratings are high then notting to worry about because the team is making money.

16. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201472

This thread will tell everything you ever wanted to know, and then some.

Note: This thread started in February.