Question About Team Colors

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by SetPeace, May 10, 2006.

1. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know most nations have their soccer and olympic teams outfitted in their national colors. My question concerns those countries that do not wear the same colors that we see on their flags. I know Italy is known as the Azzurri, or "Blues". Does anyone know the reason or history behind the Italian teams sporting blue and white, rather than a red-white-green combination? The same question could be asked for New Zealand (black and white), Australia and South Africa (green and gold), Netherlands (orange), and Japan (blue and white). Also, I know Germany (particularly the soccer teams) traditionally likes to wear black and white, with very little red and gold in their uniforms. Any help on this would be appreciated. For sure, when I see a team decked out in forest green and gold, I automatically assume it's the Aussies or South Africans. It doesn't confuse me since I've watched international sporting competitions for years. I'm just curious about the origins.

2. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Here in Holland, the national colour is orange because the royal family originally came from a principality that went by the same name. Before I moved here, I thought it had something to do with tulips :D

3. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Italy wear blue because it is the colour of the Italian royal family. Or something like that.

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the help on the Dutch and Italian teams. William of Orange and his wife Mary came to the English throne in 1689 or thereabouts. The College of William & Mary is named after them, and is the third oldest university in the U.S.--it's all coming back to me now!

6. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the help on the Dutch and Italian teams. William of Orange and his wife Mary came to the English throne in 1689 or thereabouts. The College of William & Mary is named after them, and the second oldest university in the U.S.--it's all coming back to me now!

7. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Germany's second strip is green because Ireland were the first team to play them in a friendly after WWII, so they adopted our colours.

8. Dwbakke

Dwbakke Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Arlington, VA
  9. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Oops, forgot about that. Well, their second strip was green because...etc.

10. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    India does blue (just asked my sysadmin, I know an awful stereotype), but that is from the little blue wheel logo in the middle of the flag.

11. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm clutching at straws here, but the Germany strip might be black and white because those were the colours of the Prussian flag, and the German Empire flag was also black, white and red. Various emblems and so on would also use these colours.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Oddly enough, The College Of William & Mary's colors are green and gold... like Australia.

13. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nope. Switzerland were Germany's first opponents after WWII.

There was a good debate about Germany's green kit in the German forum about a year ago. ;)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211168

14. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Interesting - I'd heard the other story so many times without any opposing versions (from Germans) that I was happy to take it as more than urban legend. It came up in a thread on the German forum a month or two back as well. If the last couple of posts in the thread you linked are true it still doesn't explain why the DFB changed their colours in the first place.

15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I just reread the entire thread. You're right. The issue was never settled.
    And if memory serves, it looks like a few posts have been deleted from there because you'll notice one poster made mention about believing the green shirts were "originally based on nature/forests". This was in response to one or two people who had heard that the green shirts were inspired by the Black Forest, in the country's south-west region, with it's majestic green scenery.
    I came up with the passports issue while googling around and thought it would add nicely to the debate. :D
    But indeed, it looks like the topic was never solved. :(

16. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Australia's national teams' sporting colours (Green & Gold) come from the AUS National flora (Gum/Eucalyptus tree - Green leaves & Wattle tree - Gold flowers).

All AUS national sporting teams have used these two traditional colours, from the inception of such teams.

17. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    As mentioned before, black and white where the colors of Prussia and the German Empire, originating from the coat of arms of the Teutonic Order. Black-Red-Gold didn't become the official flag of Germany until 1919 (although it had been the flag of the failed revolution of 1848/49).

18. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    is it?

i remember watchign a segment about it, and it said that india never had a set uniform. a european coach came along , and he said that to succeed they'll need to look good, so he got them some adidas navy and sky blue stripes.

don't remember hearing the explanation for the blue though.

19. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Well, the only international Indian teams I have ever seen on TV are the cricketeers (my SA confirms its true too of the soccer players). They wear a sky blue (a lighter color makes sense for sun protection). I assume whatever is traditional in Indian sports comes from cricket.

20. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

the blue wasn't what they had before. they had a random array of white , green and orange.

the new coach brought the blue adidas uniforms, which lead to the new nike's.

21. trouxas

trouxas New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I love people who just pull stuff out of their ass and post it as knowledge. Yes I am talking to you Andy TAUS. Australian colors have changed dozens of times throughout history and it is uncertain whether the current colors actually have some greater significance. Here is a website that might enligthen some head in the sand patriotic australians: http://www.rl1908.com/rugby-league/Colours.htm

22. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Mate, from your own source (which is MAINLY about Rugby League and its evolution):

In 1899 Joe Darling's Australian cricket team adopted the use of (gum) green and (wattle) gold. The team which toured England had green and gold integrated into their blazers, caps and jumpers. While this is cited as Australian sports first use of these colours, it would still be another 20 - 30 years before other sports followed. Even Australian cricket's Board of Control did not itself ratify use of the green and gold colours until 1908.

You seem to be bitter & twisted. You should take your head out of your arse, and smell the fresh air, for a change. :p

23. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Plus the article states that the "Australian" rugby teams in those days were no such thing - they were teams representing the host state, with players from other states given special invitations to play. Hence the local colours were worn. If the states jointly financed the team, a harlequin jersey was worn.

It needs to be remembered that when most sports were being codified and going international in the mid-late 1800's, Australia did not exist. It was 6 self governing British colonies, independant of each other and each with their own sporting colours, which they retain till this day:

New South Wales: Light Blue
    Queensland: Maroon
    Victoria: Navy Blue
    Tasmania: Dark Green & Red
    Western Australia: Gold & Black
    South Australia: Red & Dark Blue

24. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Can anyone explain:

Japan in BLUE

Venezuela in BURGUNDY

???

25. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Venezuela wears deep red because oil is one of its main exports. Kind of like Paraguay wearing copper four years ago.

Some teams have good explanations for their second-change strip, but others have little rationale ... Uruguay wearing red for last year's Copa America, for instance.