Questa Curva non si divide ** Curva Sud Thread **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Roma_NY, Oct 29, 2013.

1. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  2. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's disgusting that they couldn't stay quite during the minute of silence but nowhere in that article does it say ultras and last I heard the Ultras haven't been in the stadium for over a year if not more. I'm totally against that kind of disrespect but it's completely unfair to say it's the Ultras when you have no idea who was doing that just because you're against the Ultras.

ErPupone repped this.
  3. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I could be mistaken but I think the Ultras said they will continue to travel with the team to away games. To their credit they are usually the ones who take the kind of trouble of travelling to useless EL game in Romania in freezing cold in mid-week.

For the record, I am against the few bad apples the Ultra culture seems to foster. The majority are regular passionate fans like me and you, who unfortunately do nothing to rid themselves of these ongoing disgusting behaviors by the few.

4. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    People in Italy do not care. Trying to get a moment of silence for anything in that country is impossible.

Shen-O and DDR repped this.
  5. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So from my understanding the Ultras do travel. Obviously not all of them or they'd fill up every stadium they go to but I'd say yes the majority of them are ultras and then obviously you just have your average fan to.

You're right. It's just a continuous cycle though. How do you get rid of a few bad people out of a big group of people? Punishing everyone isn't the right answer though.

7. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    What does it say? I can't copy paste it into google lol

Oban14 repped this.
  9. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess the journalists got it wrong that the whistling was not toward the moment of silence but towards people who were trying to sing some anti lazio chants.

10. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The chants that interrupted the silence were not from the ultras section but another

11. Gianluca511

Gianluca511 Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Another section of the stadium or another section in the Roma section? If it was the latter, it still came from Roma supporters which is still disappointing. :unsure:

wm72 repped this.
  12. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They were trying to shut up another group.

13. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    People here seem to make a big difference between the ultras and the regular stadium goers for some reason.

romanista8910 repped this.
  14. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Remind me, been a bit disconnected from AS Roma lately, I heard the Curva Sud/Roma tifosi were banned from making the trip up to Torino, is this true or is it all just bollocks?

15. Gianluca511

Gianluca511 Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I read an article a few weeks ago that said this. But then this past Monday, I read another article that all 2,000 tickets allocated for the traveling Roma fans were sold in 40 minutes....so hopefully, the latter is true.

16. Paul Rogers

Paul Rogers Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    http://www.asroma.com/en/news/2016/12/roma-review-of-2016-part-14-the-curva-sud-issue

Roma Review of 2016 Part 14: The Curva Sud issue

In part 14 of our 21,000-word review of 2016, we explore the continued absence of the Curva Sud atmosphere from Stadio Olimpico

Jim Pallotta, Roma President: “I’m frustrated because I think the fans have actually acted pretty well. I’m a little frustrated that the barriers went up in the first place. I think there could have been more of a conversation about it and around it versus an edict.”

Mauro Baldissoni, Roma General Manager: “Never forget that what we do is for the fans. When the league organises games, it is to propose a sporting entertainment to people coming to the game. The crowd and the fans are an essential part of the game itself – they are part of the experience, otherwise it wouldn’t work. Without the core part of the fans, you don’t have the essence of what you are trying to produce.

“It’s not only the players on the pitch who make the game, but also the fans. It’s like you organize a concert and you watch the concert on TV: the music is the same, maybe you like the sound, but you don’t have a crowd, so it’s meaningless to organise the concert and that’s the point. For Roma especially, the core fans of the Curva Sud are even more a part of this club’s history. Roma is probably known around the world for the passion of its fans more than the trophies won throughout its history. Certainly the Curva Sud was a symbol of being a football fan.

“In Italy, ‘Curva Sud’ is a way of saying that you have a passionate, intense, loud crowd even if it’s unrelated to football. It’s a symbol of what you want to have in terms of passion and loudness at an entertainment event. If you’re missing that part, you miss something that is very essential for what we do. Without them, you lose part of the reason for what we are doing.”

John Solano, Roma fan: “My thoughts are probably not the popular view. I think it’s easy to look at the situation one way if you’re not Italian or you’ve never been to a match. I think someone like that who looks at the situation versus someone who is Italian or who does attend the matches and has sat in the Curva Sud, they will have different perspectives. Having attended many matches and having sat in the Curva Sud, I agree with what they are doing.”

Wayne Girard, Roma fan: “The home games become any other game, unfortunately. It’s not special. When you have the Curva Sud, or the ‘12th Man’ or whatever cliché you want to give it, it creates a spark in each player. They are being spurred on by fans saying, ‘You can do it. You got this. Keep pushing, keep fighting.’ It’s that last little bit of difference that goes into the players’ minds with the home support. When that’s absent, they don’t have that supernatural, out-of-body extra push. Therefore, it’s any other game. They could be anywhere in the world and it’s no different. They are not playing in front people who followed them not only for their lives, but for generations. People who are Rome, who are De Rossi, Totti, Florenzi. If those players weren’t there on the pitch, they would be in the stands along with them.”

Umberto Gandini, Roma CEO: “It hurts Roma a lot on the pitch especially, and obviously on other levels of the club. It is painful. I came from an outside situation but I was aware of these confrontations between the Curva Sud and the city authorities. Obviously, in my first three and a half months, I’ve had the opportunity to understand it a little bit more. I had the opportunity to sit down with the police authorities and the people at the club to understand the scenario. It’s very bad but you have to respect on one side the pride of these people that do not want their territory to be modified without serious reason. They are paying the price because I don’t think they are happy to stay outside. I think they are suffering as well but it’s a point of pride.”

John Solano: “I think implementing the barriers for little-to-no reason is not the way to approach hooliganism in football. It’s not the way to combat the ultra culture. I understand what the fans are doing and I agree with what they’re doing even though I think it has certainly negatively affected the team. When it comes to some things just based on principle, you absolutely have to take a stand at some point.”

Jim Pallotta: “We’re still working on it. A couple of conversations that we’ve had again in the last week or so that Mauro has been leading are looking better and better for us. We need the barriers down, but if we take them down, we also need the fans to play their part and take responsibility too.”

Umberto Gandini: “It’s not just the Curva Sud, the rest of the fans at Roma feel a different atmosphere, so the visiting team feels a different atmosphere. Having said that, the game we played with AC Milan was fantastic because most of the people came to the game to support the club because they understand that it is a historical opportunity. The Curva Sud atmosphere was not there but there were still some people. It was fantastic for the players and the team to enjoy such an experience again. The only thing I can ask for the New Year is to have this problem solved once and for all, within the regulations and laws, but respecting tradition and personal pride. It’s not going to be easy, but it is a must for this organisation.”

Mauro Baldissoni: “We are working hard to find a solution. It’s not easy because you have to deal with situations that involve the security and the safety of the people. The ultimate scope of their work is the security of the people, so you must respect that even if you disagree sometimes about their decisions. You have to work to try and show them that security and safety can be guaranteed anyway - it’s not a matter of putting a barrier in the stadium. The more you put up barriers and obstacles, the less people feel safe. They feel like they are put in a cage or constricted in some way. Generally, that is for all of the barriers in the stadium, not only for the ones in the Curva.

“It’s also a cultural battle - we insist on saying all the time that people have to be offered the best environment to enjoy what they pay for. If someone does something against the law, that specific person has to pay for their actions that are beyond the rules. Individuals must be responsible for what they do. Individuals must be responsible for their own behaviour. This also relates to the certainty of the punishment for individuals responsible for behaviours that are against the rules. Crowds can’t be responsible for the actions of single individuals. That’s something we don’t think is in line with our laws or the culture we want to introduce.”

Umberto Gandini: “There are different levels of problems. The one we are talking about with the Curva Sud is probably the most visible one, and it affects the rest of the stadium as well. We are just waiting for the authorities to finalise their plans for next year. The dialogue has always been open. There have been messages sent back and forth to sit down at a table and just try to find a common agreeable solution. We really hope that is going to happen early in 2017. But on the other hand, lots of other problems are affecting the general public - the parking issues, the transportation issues. The fact that Roma, being the capital city, has to be an example for the rest of the system from a security standpoint - this is difficult for the people of Roma to accept. It is definitely in our determinations to find a solution for all of these things, especially going towards the end of the season and the new season.”

“It’s very important for Jim [Pallotta] and the board that the club lives with its fans. The players, the staff and all of the messages we are sending out are obviously inspired by the vision of Mr Pallotta that we are a family. We are one single entity and the club cannot be successful to the maximum level possible without the support of its fans. People say that the new stadium in Turin, for example, with the fact that it’s always at 95% capacity, is worth 10 points to Juventus per season. I don’t know how you measure that, but it’s definitely a fact that when you come into a ground where the fans are close to the action, supportive of the players, very vocal and so on, it undermines your certainties and your confidence. So it would be fantastic to go back to the days where coming to the Olimpico was really an experience - although I have to say that on the pitch at the Olimpico the team are doing their part because we are undefeated so far.”

Mauro Baldissoni: “I’ve heard some people question whether the club’s strategy in dealing with the Curva Sud issue is in any way related to the need for approval on the new stadium but these are two separate issues. We have an open dialogue with authorities regarding the new stadium and the ideas we have in terms of security, including the fact that we don’t plan to have barriers inside. I would say that this goes in parallel and is not affecting the other dialogue about the Curva because it is consistent. We insist on saying that we would like to set a common goal with authorities to remove the barriers at the current stadium, not only at the new stadium. We can do it by saying that individuals who made mistakes must pay for it, while the others have to be helped in enjoying the spectacle and the entertainment we want to offer. To enjoy this means to be in a comfortable, pleasant situation - not being forced into any crazy battles, but only to go and be inside the stadium. The concept should be that if nothing bad or problematic is happening at the stadium, then that is the time to remove the barriers because the barriers are useless.

“The fans understand that this is 2016 and things have had to change. Of course everybody remembers the times when you can get more colors and experiences inside of the Curva with flares and smoke, but it is clear now that they are not allowed all over Europe. They are sanctioned very highly by UEFA, so it is clear that times have changed and this is not possible anymore. But I must say that in the Stadio Olimpico, you do not see flares or bombs anymore. With that said, all the rest should be really left open to the freedom of enjoying a place like a stadium, because colors and loudness are part of the experience. You need that and you cannot fight against that because it would be fighting against football.”

porreca repped this.
  17. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What I hope foreign fans understand is that the Curva Sud is not a casual fan base. American sporting culture is a far cry from the generations of season ticket holders who travel in Rome and all over Europe to see their city play. This is not a consumer the Sud, but an essential part of Roma.

Do racist fools need to be removed? Of course. But figure it out in another way.

romanista8910 and Marko83 repped this.
  18. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Barriers to be removed!

romanista8910 repped this.
  19. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's a good step. So now what happens with the being fined if you're not in your seat part?

20. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Anyone notice how it's timed with the stadium deal going down the toilet?

Seems unlikely to be a coincidence

porreca, TifosoRoma, Shen-O and 3 others repped this.
  21. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems weird to me that the curva isn't just general admission to begin with.

22. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Part of it is. The thing is though the fans don't care where you sit, whether you have season tickets or not.

23. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thats the one thing nice about italy they dont care about assigned seating lol. I remember taking the train from Napoli to Calabria and I went to where my seat was supposed to be it was a bunch of loud ass people so I found another place to sit and nobody cared lol

24. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right so just make the whole thing G.A. and have one less headache.

25. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They'll still care if you're in your assigned seat thought. You have to show a passport or documents when you buy a seat. Thus, your ticked is linked to your name.