Quentin Westberg at AJ Auxerre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Insecticide, Sep 23, 2010.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Still working on it.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I remember there was an intense argument about whether Westberg would do well in MLS or not. I remember feeling strongly about it, but can’t remember which side I was on. I guess now we’ll find out.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm very curious to hear his accent.

The Irish Rover and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile as he goes into the MLS Cup final:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/11/07/quentin-westberg-toronto-fc-gk-mls-cup-freddy-adu

Back in 2003, though, Westberg said, Adu “was that good. I had some elements of comparison. Right before the U-17s I was at Clairefontaine [the famous French federation academy] with Hatem ben Arfa, who was sort of the Freddy Adu for France. He did pretty well for himself, but probably not as well as his abilities were. But Freddy was so good with the U-17s. He was a difference-maker every minute of every game, to be truly honest. He had everything.

During Westberg’s 14 senior seasons in France, he played in the first, second and third divisions, finishing with second-tier Auxerre earlier this year before coming to Toronto.

“I know the French leagues top to bottom,” he said. “It’s been great, but it’s been a grind. But I also know as of right now my identity technically, physically and mentally as a goalkeeper. I know my No. 1 strength is I never give up.”

Maybe that’s part of the reason why Westberg is the only player from the 2003 U.S. U-17s who’s still competing in a top-flight league. Maybe that’s part of why he decided to leave Europe for the first time in his club career and bring his family—his Portuguese wife, Ania; son Oyamo, 9; son Isaac, 7; and daughter, Livia, 3—to Toronto this season.