Quarterly Quarrel - The Financial Discussion Part 5

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that United has paid Maguire's fee to Leicester in one lump sum.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...80m-lump-sum-manchester-united-harry-maguire/

Sidenote, Leicester are legit this season and have a real shout at top 4. They've done well rebuilding after they won the title. The article mentions they're targeting a CB. If they can find a viable alternative/successor to Vardy, that could be a very dangerous team for some time.
    Also, strong links from Ornstein suggesting that Maddison will be a United player within the year. United will surely be looking to make a real move next summer (don't see Leicester parting with him in Jan). And while I like Maddison a lot, I shudder at how much they'll ask for him.
    We've seen in the Maguire deal that they don't get pushed around. And I imagine that for the price that Maddison will end up costing us, we probably could get Fernandes and perhaps even another player (like a LB for instance).
    Something worth noting, with the hopes that the focus of our transfer business will not be restricted to British players. Not only that is a very costly business strategy, but bottom line, cutting ourselves off from the best available talent everywhere else is just plain stupid.

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We apparently have spent big on building and maintaining a database of players with a 15 man data team.

This database was used to magically go from 804 right-backs to AWB (only a database could mine the secret nugget that he was the best right-back in the league last year).

Also Ed doesn't need to recruit based on old fashioned things like scouting, character references, criminal history, injury history etc.

Just Fifa type stats and he now has an app for that. Who needs a DoF?

United 16 repped this.
  3. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    At least we know Moyesies iPads are still getting good use.

Sofabloke repped this.
  4. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Leicester will drop off massively. They are scoring at almost double their xG (for which they are 19th in the league) and are conceding well below what is expected.

johno repped this.
  5. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    so they're good finishers?

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Unsustainably so.

johno repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see how things shape out, but the 5-0 win vs Newcastle was an outlier. Obviously they're not going to win that many games with that kind of scoreline, but then again they don't need to either. I see them going the distance as one of teams in contention for a top 4 spot. They've started well but there is every reason to believe they could actually improve.
    Rodgers is still underestimated in some quarters for some reason and while he's obviously not at the level of Klopp or Pep, he's a good manager. He had a transformative effect on that team from the moment he came on board midway thru last season. With more time to implement his vision and the players to get used to it, it stands to reason they will only get better.
    Second, they don't have the distraction of European competition to worry about, which is obviously a major plus, considering they are not necessarily the deepest of squads. Their starting XI is very strong and perhaps are 13-15 deep but that should be enough to see them remain competitive throughout the season.
    Their starting XI is a pretty strong and balanced team from front to back. In the goalscoring dept, they may be a bit light after Vardy. But Perez who was an important buy for them this past summer is yet to fire for them and if he can, as expected, he will bring a whole new dimension to their attack (and possibly make Vardy even more dangerous)
    Their young and dynamic midfield is one of the best in the league, bar none. And defensively, they barely miss Maguire with Soyuncu having done a terrific job stepping up next to Evans. Schmeichel remains a top gk in the league and they have excellent FBs in Pereira and Chilwell.
    They won't challenge for the top 2 spots, but top 4 is still very much within their grasp, as far as I'm concerned, even if it will still be a fierce fight with Chelsea, Arsenal and probably Spurs despite their current problems. But it always going to be that way anyhow.
    Anything can happen and they could flounder, but it would be a surprise for me, since the ingredients are there for them to have a very successful campaign this term.

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Leicester score a record 9 away against 10 man Southampton in a 9-0 win - biggest EPL away win and equals our EPL record win.

That’s on you guys :)

Naboomagnoli and Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    ..and i was wondering where this discussion took place..

10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Hmm cant be true ? How could this big be kept so low ..

11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I'm sure it's bull, but if it does happen then that'll probably be it for me as a Utd fan. About time I started supporting Brighton.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What happened? Why?

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard Arnold in Saudi Arabia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rumors of a sale of the club look to be wide off the mark. Makes a lot more sense to believe that United are trying to negotiate some type of sponsorship deal or something of that, get their hands on some that money over there but not for a sale.
    Don't think Arnold would be man handling those type of negotiations. Worth noting also that Arnold has apparently made a few visits there this year alone, which supports the case for the club trying to build some new relationships with business leaders over there.

jnielsen repped this.
  14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. RedDevil98

RedDevil98 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 4, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oil money isn’t gonna help if that piece of shit Woodward is in charge.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No revelations, but interesting interviewee and some interesting discussion.

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen repped this.
  21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Absolutely absolutely need a DOF but I'm not mad at signing someone with this pedigree. Brentford's recruitment was excellent and Watford punched above their weight for a well. Importantly, Brentford had a data driven approach so if this guy brings some of that to our shop, I'd be happy.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It’s almost been a year since we pretty much acknowledged we would appoint a DOF. It’s clear at this point that Woody has no intention of hiring a DOF until he finds one that agrees to be a figurehead without any actual power.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to note that the club's revenue continues to grow, yet our net spending has clearly decreased steadily (with the debt increasing as well).
    Also it's clear, if it wasn't already, where the emphasis lies in regard to the club's major shareholders and investors when Woodward/Arnold were asked just a single question in the Q&A part of the call about the app and its potential.

25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC