Quarterly Quarrel - The Financial Discussion Part 5

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 11, 2014.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Dembele was also partially inflated by the Neymar deal. In some respects BvB benefit from PSGs money, because Barca have to sign a replacement, so this becomes an on cost in the Neymar negotiations. This is not unusual in linked deals - not only in football. BVB can hold out for a stupid price which Barca just pass on.

Torres & Andy Carroll are the most obvious example.

It's really the buyer at the top of the chain who gets worked.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think a few clubs would be in at @70-80?

He is one of the hottest young talents in football.

I don't think he will go for Coutinho style money

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't doubt that the Neymar deal was part of it (the price for Dembele being jacked up). And here, Dortmund are surely aware of United's financial might and spending power. They're not going to be inclined to gift United anything.
    Not to mention, whether they are legitimate or not, but the reports from some sectors of the press that Sancho is United's top target of the summer and/or that they are ready to spend upwards of 100mil on him, are elements that will be only more conducive in Dortmund driving a hard bargain for Sancho.

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Look, I'd be fine spending 100 mil on Sancho, but I dont think it comes to that unless one of thing big money teams shows serious interest. That's my point.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that's your point, I simply don't believe it will be that simple or easy (for reasons explained ad nauseum). Hope I'm wrong obviously when it's all said and done and hope we can get him for as cheaply (and easily) as possible. We'll see, I guess how things will turn out...

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    topnoevili repped this.
  7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    So we can conclude 200million aint enough to get us competing for title..

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Spending 300 mil won't have us competing for the title.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No amount of money would be enough, if spent badly but by any reasonable logic, 300mil Pounds should be more than enough to have United seriously contend for the title. We would be able to add major quality, in pretty much all positions of need, which complimenting what we currently have could make us legitimately tough and contending for the title.
    We're in contention for the lower end of the top 4 as it is. With 200mil, we should be a shoo in for it, and thus outsiders for the title at minimum.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even if (big if) we spend wisely and sufficiently, City and Liverpool having invested now have settled squads, managers & systems.

We have a relatively new manager, potentially a bunch of out-going players and potentially a bunch of incomming players. So will need to integrate some new players.

Best we can realistically hope for is being there or thereabouts (ie top 2/3). A “proper” ie “as equals” run at the title is unlikely - as even best case summer those two have a couple years evolution on us.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  11. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I’ve been a fan for 20 years now, and I stick by and continue to watch/buy merch. I’m getting extremely tired of the rebuilding process and the continual missteps. You have to wonder how fickle a majority of the other over seas fans are, and when (if not already) they will start to wane their focus. They’ll eventually leave it, or even switch to a better team. This will ultimately start to affect our income and thus the team. I’m not saying I’m going anywhere, but I already know people who don’t watch anymore.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm just as passionate about the team as always, but it's a different type of passion. I used to get excited for games, especially against big teams. Now I dread them to a degree.

I'm tired of the "if we just buy xyz this summer we'll be competing" thats heard over and over at the end of each season. We're making poor decisions from the top down as a club. I agree that the clubs status is going to start fading. As the next generation of football fans start watching games, there's not a lot to make them United fans unless through location or family.

topnoevili and Chaz Striker repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Still making money;

"The club posted revenues of £152.1 million for the quarter, up 3.4 per cent from last year, which translate into earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) of £174.9million for the year to date and an operating profit of £72.1million."

Six year failure Chief Exec Ed Woodward said;

"After a turbulent season, everyone at Manchester United is focused on building towards the success that this great club expects and our fans deserve.

"Preparations for the new season are under way and the underlying strength of our business will allow us to support the manager and his team as we look to the future."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...olskjaer-after-turbulent-season-38117970.html

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How did Real go up +27% this year?

16. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    We are going to keep going down until we regain form. Value eventually has to go down.

United 16 repped this.
  17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sofabloke repped this.
  18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United 16 repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

United 16 repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    United are still in the top 10, however they've fallen from 2nd to 6th, with their value going from $4.12 Billion last year to $3.81B.
    By contrast, other English clubs making the top 50 are Pool, who have climbed up 5 spots to 25 ($2.69B), Chelsea who climbed 14 spots to #32 and Arsenal, who gone down 3 spots to #42.

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't realise Ed was on over £4m pa - worth every penny ....

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    According to MEN, our contract with Adidas stipulates that we lose 30% of their sponsorship revenue if we fail to qualify for CL in two consecutive seasons.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/adidas-clause-could-cost-manchester-16927708

If true, makes it even stranger that there was so little net investment in a summer when so many players left.

Reminder:
    In (3): Maguire, AWB, James
    Out (6): Lukaku, Herrera, Sanchez (loan), Fellaini, Valencia, Smalling

The old quoted figures for the Adidas contract were 75M pa - so I guess losing a third of next years sponsorship revenue is not that big a drop in Glazers eyes when compared to paying out for replacement players. Especially if they are facing a dip in TV revenue this year.

Difference in fans goals and current owners goals ...

24. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    That 20 million is more than offset by the reduction in wages that goes with not qualifying. You think they would have agreed to that with Adidas if it was coming out of their pocket?

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    also interesting to note that the Adidas money basically equates to our net spend recently.

think about that for a second