Quarterly Quarrel - The Financial Discussion Part 5

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seriously need a “Woodward & Glazers therapy thread” or “Ed Woodward and the Vampire Low-Balls” or somesuch so I can vent somewhere.

Would create one but did so a few years back and it was locked and shutdown. So here will have to do.

Have no confidence that Ed is going to open his wallet and spend serious money as his primary job is to keep a surplus of blood in the corpse for the Glazers to vamp off.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They will only once the shirt sales or stock price go down[emoji35]

4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just a reminder that around this time last year Ed gave Rojo (who had just returned from a significant injury, was still over a year out from the end of his contract and was not playing much) a three year extension plus option and a wage increase that put him above Herrera, Lindelof and Martial.

I give you Ed Woodward ladies and gentlemen ....

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we don't spend this summer, it's clear the Glazer's have tightened the strings. If so, their should be outrage given the clubs size and revenue.

7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We need to invest in region of 300-400million.. 150 million in current market will get you one World class player and one bencher ...

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #533 Ashur, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    As if that is ever going to happen... 250mil Pounds, which is already hopeful in itself, would be more than enough to get us pretty much everything we need to be pretty competitive.
    We can still make things work with 200, provided we shift targets for a couple of positions, towards more economical players. As an example I used previously, we can get 2 quality CMs, in Partey and Ndombele, for less than it would cost us to get Saul from Atleti. Meunier, because of his contract situation (one year left) would cost less than Wan-Bissaka. And so on...
    We've got to stretch our money as much as we can or accept there are only so many positions we will be able to reinforce.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's ridiculous. We'll never invest even close to that in a single window.

250 mil would get us Sancho, Koulibaly, Muenier, Partey, and another midfielder if Herrera leaves.

10. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, we will not be able to get all those players w only 250

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    We bought Fred FFS!

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    250mil would get us Sancho (100), Koulibaly (80 maybe more), Partey (40-50) and Meunier (20 or so). That's it really but it would still be a very nice haul, with the team well reinforced in the process. We'd need the other CMs, Fred in particular, to step up (still believe he'll come good particularly if he has a full preseason in him).

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How much do you think the players I listed would cost?

14. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need at least 300 to make the required upgrades

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not what I asked. How much do you think each of the players I listed would cost?

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd say 80 each for Sancho and Koulibaly, 40 for Partey, 20 for Muenier. That leaves 30 ish for a CM if Herrera leaves. If we want someone like Ndomble, it'll probably take 50 but there are cheaper options.

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we think 150m is the bar, then you should add 75m to that this windows - as we were short-changed last window (having only signed Fred/Dalot/Grant for 75m in the summer and nobody in the winter).

18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    For me we need Ndombele (£80m) .. Koulibaly will cost near 100-110m.. Sancho will not be less than 100m either the way Dortmund are shrugging off rumours.. then we have to add RB (30-50m).. We will need around 300m if we are serious about challenging for trophies

Gilma1990 repped this.
  19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Ndombele would be £60-80m. This is Lyon we're talking about.

We should have £200m plus the majority of sales as a minimum. We will need every ********ing penny, except if we fail to make the CL in which case we won't be able to sign some of the top level players we need.

jeff070 and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thing is, neither the Glazers nor Ed give a s**t.

Their plan is to just keep rolling along sucking money out of the club for minimal investment.

Not getting CL is an inconvenience to them as it has some sponsorship and income knock-on effect but that is all.

We clearly need some significant investment, but I wouldnt hold your breath.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love nothing more than believe we can get Sancho for 80mil, but I don't see it, given the circumstances. Dortmund have made it clear on multiple occasions that they are not looking to let him go this summer.
    Which means that if they are going to entertain the thought, any club will have to pay over the odds. Add on top of that if any other club, like PSG somehow, confirm their interest, that will only increase the price in all likelihood.

As mentioned before, I'm pretty optimistic we'll spend pretty big this summer: mainly, because we need to (especially if we lose lots of players). But also because traditionally, new managers have been pretty well backed when they first came on board. There is no reason Ole won't be as well.
    Still do not believe he will be at the tune of 300mil however, but I'd like to believe that at least 200 will be, fingers crossed.

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It all depends if any of the other big clubs make a serious offer. Prior to the "not leaving this summer" talk Dortmund were pretty publicly saying he was available for 70 mil. For all their tough talk, Dortmund are a selling club.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get they are, but as previously stated also they already sold one player in Pulisic this summer. And selling Sancho was probably at least a year away in their plans. As such, I think their talk is legitimate. We only need to look no further than Dembele as an example. We may end up with Dembele this summer, but it's going to drag on all summer and he's going to be a very, very expansive transfer without a doubt... (that is unless Woodward doesn't mess about and goes in with what they want right away).

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Dembele deal dragged on because Dembele was being a cnut and Barca thought that his antics could save them a few dollars so they sat back and waited hoping that Dortmund would blink first. With Sancho, we come in strong and wrap it up quick. Around 80 mil would do it I think. Give them some sell on clauses to sweeten the deal if needed.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dembele ended up leaving Dortmund when he did because he forced his way out. They did not want to sell initially and Dembele was set to stay. Dembele's antics, like disappearing and not showing up for training for days at a time, are what eventually forced their hands. Even so, they got Barca to pay over his actual valuation.
    Dortmund are fully aware they can still make tons of money over a Sancho sale next summer, so business wise, it stands to reason they will be in no hurry to do so this summer, especially after already sold Pulisic.
    Maybe that coming in right away with a right and fair offer could get things done quickly and easily, but that still appears to be a longshot to me. Sancho himself actually pushing for a move (not on Dembele's level obviously) wouldn't hurt either btw.