Qualification Rule in Libertadores

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by tretman, May 20, 2007.

1. tretman

tretman New Member

May 22, 2004
    Istanbul
    Hi to all. I want to learn what is the decider if a tie is level on aggregate. I searched but found 2 different info.

Wikipedia says "Conmebol began to use the away goals rule with the extra time used only in the final matches." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Libertadores_de_América

But in an article at goal.com it says "Santos being able to go through even with a goalless draw thanks to their higher CONMEBOL coefficient and better performance in the initial group phase."
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=305857

I'm waiting for your answers, thanks in advance.

2. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ive never heard of that second rule. Im pretty sure a 0-0 means extra time and then penalties. 1-1 means America goes forward

3. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I personally don't like the away goal rule, I think it's a bit unfair. If both teams are tied on goals it should go to extra time and penalties.

4. chao

chao New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Istanbul
    I think no away rule goal in Libertadores Cup.

For example;

Santos - Club America finishes 0-0 or 1-1 or 2-2, the match goes extra time and then penalties.

I am not sure about the extra time rule.Last seasons the matches which finished with a tie, went to penalties directly.

5. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it any less unfair than having one team get extra time and penalties at home?

At least both teams get the same amount of chances (90 minutes of time in each stadium) in the "away goal" scenerio. I don't think away goals is ideal, but it's the "fairest" system I've seen (short of an impractical solution of a third game at a neutral site).

Oh, and Libertadores does indeed use "away goals" now. They switched within the past few years (2005 IIRC).

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    http://img.conmebol.com/csf/pub/articulo/2007/reglamento_Libertadores_07-nuevo.pdf

Translation for those who do not read spanish:

If they are tied in points after the second game, the items to decide are:

1) Goal Difference
    2) Most Goals scored
    3) Most goals scored away

If the are tied on all the items they go straigth to PKs. As I read it, they do not take in account results from the previous rounds.

In the final, to break the tie they use only goal difference. If they have the same number of goals they play two extra times and then PKs.