Quakes: U.S. Open Cup Third-Round Pairings Announced

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by guamster, May 16, 2012.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    US Open Cup Third-Round Pairings Announced

Interesting. Quakes will play the winner of the Fresno Fuego-Fort Lauderdale Strikers match (Tuesday May 22). This US Open Cup game will be at Cagan Stadium on the Stanford campus on May 29. I wonder why this game could not be played at Buck Shaw.

2. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much will it cost to get in? Better to be like in Seattle--just have the proceeds go to charity. With this one--most likely be the reserves given the team will have played in KC 2 days earlier. At least it's close to home.

3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we get Ft. Lauderdale... remember what George Best did to them back in the NASL days?

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Santa Clara will want more money than they can recoup with ticket sales.

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based upon previous attendance, it will be my family and about a hundred other people. However, in the past, we had already paid of the tickets. May still go this year...

6. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking hardly anyone will show up save for the core people and the Ultras--just open the game to an audience--suggested donation of (amount).

7. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Two of us will go to this game. Last year they played the Stanford team there.

8. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Fuego!

Well, until they play the Quakes. ;) Would be fitting for the Fuego if they are able to beat Ft. Lauterdale. Might actually be a more attended game given the proximity of the two teams. Fresno has been good the past couple of years, I wouldn't write them off even if they are a PDL team.

9. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the game will be played at Stanford for the only reason that is waaaayyyy cheaper to do so there than Buck Shaw, one way in ...one way out, no so much overhead...hopefully it will be in a weekday and not in a weekend so I can bring some of my co-workers

Edit !
    I just realice the date Tuesday May 29...I shall be there !

10. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there too--it's a short drive plus a chance to scout the place for the LA game at Stanford on June 30. :)

11. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I will be there as well, Go Quakes!

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll be there. I'm betting it's free. Or very cheap.

13. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    2 different stadiums: The Open Cup game is at the stadium that Stanford uses for its soccer teams, and the 7/30 LA game is at the Stanford football stadium.

slaminsams repped this.
  14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And you can park on campus for this game, in fact, you can park right next to the field. For next month's game, you need to park on the other side of El Camino unless you want to sit in gridlock for 90 minutes.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Palo Alto AYSO is advertising $5 tickets to the 6/30 game to everyone in their league plus anyone who played in their tournaments. $10 for a game played on a practice field feels like substantially more. Like double!

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I assume Palo Alto AYSO is subsidizing those tickets for its members?

18. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I have my tickets :)

19. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $10 for season ticket holders is reasonable enough. $15 for the rest that might be questionable. Still lower compared to the $20 regular price for the bleachers/supporter's section. Not going to expect a large crowd save for the usual suspects who are there for the team.

Edit: in as well--jamming with Los Ultras at Cagan Stadium! :D

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My tickets are purportedly in the mail.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the only time a San Jose club has won the Open Cup in its nearly century-old history. (A few S.F. clubs have also won the Open Cup over the years.) The trophy won by the 1992 San Jose Oaks is in the Soccer Legacy Collection at History San Jose, and was most recently on display at the "City of Champions" exhibit at City Hall.

When you consider that the Oaks were an amateur squad playing home matches in a neighborhod park (my neighborhood park), and when you compare the modest trophy they won to what the Sounders captured last season playing before tens of thousands in their downtown stadium, you can begin to grasp the great leaps that soccer has made in this country in only two decades.

blacksun repped this.
  22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    With 40k plus expected for the game expect a clusterhump of biblical proportions.

23. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Looks like it will be Ft Lauderdale coming to town, they are winning 5-1 in the 86th minute tonight against Fresno.

24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, if they manhandled Fresno then we better not take this game lightly.

25. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Ehh - final score was 7-2, but it was tied 1-1 after 56 minutes. Ft Lauderdale scored a lot of late goals, including 2 after the 89th minute. It's hard to judge the quality of play. And Fresno is a PDL team, you'd expect the NASL team to beat them easily, particularly after Fresno had to travel across the country, something a team like that is not really used to.

The tough part for the Quakes is that even though it's a home match for them, they have to play on Sunday in KC and then travel back to San Jose. Ft Lauderdale plays Sat night at home in their NASL league game, and then has to travel to San Jose. So both teams will be playing on short rest and travel.