Quakes Stadium Naming Rights - Avaya

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ColinMcCarthy, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Luk451

Luk451 New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nice scoop, Colin. Now the FO is gonna have to cancel the "Big Announcement" ticker tape parade

QuietType repped this.
  2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were just going to make the announcement via Avaya speakerphone.

TyffaneeSue, Earthshaker and evade6317 repped this.
  3. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So yes?

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Colin, does that non-disclosure agreement you signed pertain to BigSoccer as well, or is it OK because "no one reads that anyway". :--)

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not my wife. Quit stalking me.

6. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Thanks for the confirmation.

It makes sense now why evade6317 gets so butthurt when Sam Cronin's name comes up in any conversation.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #33 athletics68, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    It's a sponsorship deal, on both counts. What were you expecting, something catchy? The history of both should have long since told you otherwise.

What would be disappointing is if they don't call it the Epicenter. Avaya Epicenter is fine, Avaya Stadium is meh. That said Avaya is a great Silicon Valley company to nab. Anyone who thought we were going to get one of the "sexy" companies like Google or Apple doesn't understand anything. Sexy companies generally don't do unsexy things like sponsor stadiums. Particularly Apple.

As for this being a leak, this looks like an Avaya company meeting of some kind. The type that are usually supposed to be company confidential or at least company specific.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a five billion dollar tech company and it's local; what more could you want?

As far as it being Avaya Stadium as opposed to Epicenter, they could just call it The Epicenter at Avaya Stadium. Not the tidiest moniker but I can see that happening.

Goodsport, athletics68 and markmcf8 repped this.
  10. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you trying to claim a victory of some kind? That's cute. Very top shelf bringing in family members like that too.

Bravo.

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence the need to get their name on something...

I've no clue what they do either, but a company with a known public profile doesn't really need to name anything after themselves.

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just using that. While this info was leaking out and you were posting this pic, I was on a conference call.

Mobile Infantry made Avaya the company it is today.

13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conversing with a WALL. Good luck.

Beerking repped this.
  14. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    [​IMG]

15. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    You have never heard of Avaya? Well that brings up 2 interesting points...

First, this is why someone does a naming sponsorship in the first place: to get name recognition. If you had never heard of Avaya before, now you will have heard of them. This is why folks like Apple or Google do not do these things. They don't really need more name recognition.

Secondly, it is surprising that a company as "old" and established and as large as Avaya is unknown to many. Have you every heard of AT&T or Western Electric? Western Electric was the huge manufacturing arm of AT&T for a century or so and was spun out from the "Mother Ship" in the huge breakup of AT&T and the Bell System in the 90's. Western Electric renamed itself "Lucent" and then, in 2000, the Enterprise telephone division (PBX's and Unified Communications) spun out from Lucent to become Avaya. It is a very large company (that, apparently, you have never heard of) with about 17,000 employees and does about $4.5B in revenue annually.

They have sponsored Soccer before and will be an excellent partner for the Epicenter (if this is verified).

17. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    I am more disappointed that you have no idea how good a sponsor this is.

18. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Indeed. Nobody asked for or expected HP to call the "HP Pavillion" the Shark Tank. But that's what everbody called it anyway (and still do even though it is now the SAP Center).

Our Stadium will be called the Epicenter by everyone (I hope) regardless of who has the naming rights.

19. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yep. Just like nobody ever called Candlestick Park 3Com or Monster.com Park. Even if it's not officially the Epicenter at the start it'll end up that way by sheer force of the fan's will.

leocal11, Goodsport and markmcf8 repped this.
  20. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean really, it doesn't need to be officially called the epicenter to be known as that. People always called the 49ers old stadium Candlestick Park, no matter what it's official name was, and people still call the Sharks stadium the Shark Tank.

This is good news, people! It's a big company, it's local, and it's not a pyramid scheme! Sure, Google would have been better, but this is still a good thing!

EDIT: beaten to the punch by LVMLS

Goodsport and LVMLS repped this.
  21. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great minds, etc...

Goodsport repped this.
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the "Shark Tank" is a good example of this. San Jose Arena, Compaq Center, HP Pavilion, SAP Center... it's always been the Shark Tank.

Candlestick isn't quite the same thing since it was an old actual stadium name that everyone just continued using. Same principle continues to apply to the Oakland Coliseum or The Coliseum... no one has ever called it Network Associates, McAfee, Overstock.com, or O.co Coliseum unless they were being paid to do so.

Goodsport repped this.
  23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I stated, I know what Avaya is now, and have apparently been using Avaya in my office for years, never bothered to pay attention to the company name on my office speakerphones - sounds strange, but I have more important things to worry about.

24. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:Not mad. Cute try

Is this for all the times I made you run away with your tail between your legs like in the Mark Watson thread, Landon thread, JBP thread, or the numerous other times I made you disappear?

I can post links if you forgot.

DotMPP repped this.
  25. LVMLS

LVMLS Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a good point. I cheerfully withdraw my Candlestick analogy.

Goodsport repped this.