Quakes - Crew pregame

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kryptonite, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how this game will end. If buddle plays, we have a chance. If not, we're done.

And I'd much prefer first in the conference over anything else heading into the Chicago games. Get first, and a strong result at home and that takes care of that.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on; if Buddle doesn't play we don't stand a chance?

How ridiculous.

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    i think hes onto heroin now.

4. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The question really is, can their defense handle our offense. When we're on, we're unstoppable offensively. What's ever more surprising is that our rinky-dink defense is actually starting to gel, and our rookie keeper is playing out of this world.

I see it a one goal difference, for sure. 2-1 Crew.

5. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a game where we need points, Buddle needs to play. He's been pretty good recently, didn't start against New England and look what happened.

6. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, we know that Oughton won't be playing, which really hurts (caution point suspension). He's been a great D-mid and has had the stones to take a few shots from 20+ out once in a while. I think he's been very valuable recently. However, its good to know that we'll have him for the Fire games.

As to our starting forwards, it should be obvious that Dante shouldn't start. I think Buddle should start, but then you have to ask who should he play with? He was on fire with Cunny in KC, but is McBride in form at all anymore? Who will replace Duncan... Harksie (or is he collecting workers comp)?

I really want to kick SJ in the nuts this weekend after giving up a 2-1 lead there last time and losing 3-2.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    they gave up a 2-0 leas last time before losing 3-2 didn't they.
    i would be very suprised if harkes got the start for oughton. he didn't see any time last game and i don't recall seeing him warm up. i think denton will play at left mid putting mais at d-mid, and martino attacking. Other than that our lineup will look the same. Buddle will be a second half sub.
    We really could use a good result from Dallas against the Metros to help out our division cause, but given Dallas's past couple performances, I don't think we can count on it. The pressure will definately be on us this game to maintain our division lead.

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harkes was supposed to be getting close by now; I'm with you though, you gotta wonder where his fitness would be at even if he WAS 100%.

Anyway, after Presthus (and I notice nobody is arguing anymore) the next casualty for 2003 is John. Add in Perez (for sure - an SI getting close to max money who isn't playing is not going to be around long) and most likely Warczycha, and there are some BIG changes coming.

But as for the Quakes game, we have been VERY successful starting McBride/Washington and brininging on Cunningham for Dante at 60-65, with Buddle replacing McBride 5 or 10 minutes later. Why anyone would want to change that I can't imagine.

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Soccer's Poster Boy Landon Donovan: the man who could make America love the game

I blatantly ripped this off from the Rivalries forum (Baby Jesus update) but since you're not supposed to link into or out of that forum I decided to put the article's link here.

Here's an interesting quote from Donovan regarding the close bond he shares with his twin sister:

10. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure you mean this? The Crew started McBride and Washington together for five games in a row back in July (the only five games they've started together). Results: 2-3 loss at home to the Metro, 3-1 win at DC, 1-1 draw at home against Colorado, 1-0 win at home vs DC and 1-2 loss at Galaxy.

11. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Oh, my God. [​IMG]

And this is the poster boy of the future of soccer in America :eek:

Memo to Landon: Please refrain from embarrasing yourself and US Soccer like this in the future.

12. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    After the KC match where he terribly misjudged that crossed ball (a recurrent theme with TP), and with Busch's good play recently, it's obvious who the #1 keeper is now.

That is why there is no debate.

13. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle/Cunningham start. McBride as first sub. And who knows anything about harkes?

14. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's happened all the time with Columbus and probably other clubs as well.

During the 1998 WC, Mark stepped up.
    Last year, Presthus stepped up and took it from Mark.

15. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    So you're saying Buddle starting for Cunningham would have given us the 3 points? Or did it have to be for McBride? How about Buddle in the back for McCarty?

Your statement is invalid because it's too generic and it isn't relevant to what happened on the field. The Crew, without Buddle, created quite a few chances in the second half after sleeping through the first half (where Maiz and a deflection almost gave us a goal anyway). Maybe the problem was that NE took Martino and Oughton out of the game early on, therefore denying service to McBride and Jeff.

Too many variables to consider.

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, while that's not really all that bad, I'll just say that the offense looked dangerous and, to me at least, created a lot more chances.

Dante, IMO, is so big and strong that he takes the physicality from the defense that otherwise gets paid on McBride. I don't trust Jeff Cunningham, and while everyone is slobbering all over themselves (well, OK, Peter is slobbering) I'm just not convinced he should be handed a full time role. His time is coming, I just don't think it's here.

And while I'm glad for Edson to get the POTM, it seems like it's an August tradition; Mais got it last August, but I don't seee him tearing up the league lately.

Just my take.

17. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Bill,

I think the reason why others (including me) happen to like Cunningham in the starting mix, is because he DOES possess the ability to create goals on his own with his dribbling ability and his speed. Opposing teams know that they MUST bring at least 2 defenders to Jeff when he dribbles into a threatening position, which can only help the Crew.

Last year, when the McBride/Cunningham combo was really clicking, McBride would usually draw the top defender from the opposing team, and would help to free Cunningham up a bit more, not to mention being able to serve balls up via header or foot onto Cunningham's speedy runs.

Or I am wrong?

The Crew ARE embarassingly deep at forward. A nice problem to have.

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Actually, I meant Buddle, not Cunningham, but I was typing before my brain was geared

I DO have to agree that I cringe when I hear folks say we should trade a forward or two.

While I'm never opposed to making the club stronger, it would have to be a heck of a deal, because as much abuse as forwards take game in and game out, it is not ridiculous to have some good ones who deserve more time sitiing on the bench.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have to agree with Andy here, as frustrating as Cunningham is (and i curse his name every week) he is the only forward on out team that I have confidence can create goals on his own. McBride, not to take anything away from him, relies on good service. Dante, well I don't really know what Dante's deal is to be honest. Buddle has been hot, but doesn't have the explosiveness of Cunningham.
    Cunningham can look like crap for 89 minutes of the game and recieve the ball out on the flank, outta real scoring posistion, and beat two or three guys off the dribble and almost make you forget the other 89 minutes.
    But Cunningham isn't the only guy who draws two defenders. Usually, McBride has a couple on him when he's challenging in the air.

20. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100% about having a surplus of good quality forwards. It's a great thing. I just don't see that any one forward combo as being more capable of scoring goals or more likely to win a game than any other.

So if the Crew could get a high quality defender for one of the forwards, I wouldn't be against a trade. You always have to give up value to get value, unless you are lucky, and forward is the one place where the Crew can afford to do that.

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Jeffy might be the only one who can creates chances on his own but he has yet to show me over the years that he can finish consistently.

However, if McBride is not gonna get service from the midfield, the braintrust might as well start Jeffy and Buddle.

22. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    stomach ache? Wow, then she must get a headache when he scores. BTW..did she ever play soccer or just sit in vicarious land?

23. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good points. particularly the thought that McBride doesn't make things happen for himself. Even if he'd quit the withdrawn forward thing, I cna't remember him scoring unassisted many times....on any team. We gotta give Buddle, Jeff, and Dante some credit for the work they put in for goals....McBride has a specialty we all know about...and leadership, whatever. I still think we need his salary and we are fine without him.

24. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that is how to beat this San Jose team. Somebody simply needs to knock-up Landon Donovan's sister -- How will he be able to play with morning sickness and sympathy pains!!

25. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Give Eggy a bag and a dark room, and he'll do his duty to help Crew advance!