Quakes chasing Convey

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nivla, Jan 16, 2009.

1. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be a terrible move. Hed be an expensive player at a position we already have an expensive player (whose better).

3. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he regains his early-2006(?) form, stays healthy, and the fee/wages aren't too outrageous, I'm all for it. But that's a lot of if's....

4. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be an interesting acquisition if he's healthy. Before his injury problems, I think he was responsible for a lot of the free/corner kicks for Reading FC. The questions is what position he'd play. Would Yallop put him at LB?

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Too expensive and we don't need a left mid. When I have seem him in the middle, he has been less than impressive.

Frankly, I never been a big fan. He had one good year in Reading, but has never played consistantly.

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    This may be the "U.S. International" that has been referenced. Or was that used in reference to a forward? I'd prefer the latter, depending of course on who it is.

7. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We are at the top of the allocation list, so we would not need to give up anything other than cap space. However, I agree that he is likely to be expensive and plays in positions we have well covered. How strong in depth do we really need that left side to be?

8. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how long Convey's contract with Reading is, but it is possible that they may ask for a modest transfer fee. I'm guessing that'll cost some allocation $'s....

9. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    Great addition if they can sign him. I thought Convey was the best one to come out of the Project 40 bunch, his cerebral ability to read the game can put defenses on their heels. Also made big contribution to Reading's promotion to the premiership when he was 100% healthy. I hope he signs with the Quakes.

10. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I don't like it because it doesn't address our weaknesses.

Since we have the top allocation spot (per the poster above), could we do a deal with whoever wants Convey and thus get someone who fits our needs? This might be John Doyle's work to bid up the price for the allocation spot.

Otherwise, I don't see why we'd want Convey, unless Huckerby is heading back to Norwich with Glen Roederer gone. That would be tragic but then getting Convey would make sense.

11. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this might be who it is. Convey is not likely to be all that expensive I don't really think. He's had microfracture surgery and so his health is dicey and that's unchangeable. He doesn't have health problems from which you ever really recover. He has health problems you hope you play through. I would suspect this should cut his value considerably.

When he was at the top of his game at Reading, he was sure playing well. Then the injuries threw him for a loop. But he spent a long time at Reading earning the mgmt's trust and respect before he got in the first team. That was back when Donovan was failing to have the fortitude to hang in and battle for a spot. I had to admire Convey's toughness in that regard. I think he's grown into a top-notch attitude.

I think the problems are......he does fill a positional need and you'd really, really, really, really want a scrutinize the results of his medical.

12. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where exactly does he play? Im not going to lie and say I know much about the guy, but he is listed as a left wing on his Wiki page but that job is filled by Hucks. But he plays on the USMNT, which is set at the wings as well with Beasley, CDemps, and Judas plays outside every once in a while. So my question is, can he/does he play central mid? If he does, then it could be a good signing.

And Huckerby is NOT leaving. Thats been established. Look at his Official thread, and theres a link which he states that he will stay loyal to the Quakes.

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As raindawg suggests, if we played him at left back, he could make overlapping runs with Hucks. Our left side would terrorize every other MLS club.

The downside is the expense and his on going health issues.

On the whole, I'm not excited by this idea. I hope that JD is using Convey to work something (or someone) else.

GOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!!!! :D

- Mark

14. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays left mid. That is his preferred spot. He played a lot of left FB for the Nats. I would suspect he's being chased to play left back for a year, with the ability to slot in at l-mid should Hucks ever have to miss a game for suspension or injury. Then when we lose Hucks after the end of next season which is likely, I'd project he'll move up.
    Centerline mentions bolster the attack, but I wouldn't think it's that beyond that he's surely the sort of FB when playing there that can productively join an attack.

15. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Convey would move back to LB a la Eddie Lewis. That gets rid of (in my opinion, undeserved) BigSoccer whipping boy Eric Denton. Everyone wins.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Too bad that Hucks is not a good candidate for overlapping. If Convey knows that he would be slated for LB, I think he would probably choose another MLS team, if he has other teams interested. Coming back to MLS to play left back would probably seem like a significant demotion for him. I think Frank would consider playing him in the center.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in agreement with those who say it doesn't make sense to load up at our strongest position.

18. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple of things that might counterbalance that. One is that he knows Yallop. If they got on well at DCU, that could matter. Another is playing time in the lead up to WC could be big. And I think Bradley already shown that where you play for your club team isn't necessarily where you play for the Nats. It's more a matter of how you've been playing and that you've been playing.
    And also for getting called up for the Nats, if your wholly interchangable between left mid and LB, that improves your chances.
    I'm not sure playing in the middle would really suit him in the same way it doesn't suit ROB. They seem to need to run at players and beat them through the threat of going around to the outside and whipping in a cross or cutting in and heading to the goal in search of the perfect short pass or a shot of their own.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The Quakes are going to be the Golden State Warriors of MLS - a team full of the same kinda player. For the Warriors, it's 2-guard types who are not particularly big and can shoot and drive pretty well, but are not point guards or power forward types. For the Quakes, a bunch of guys who are relatively offensive-minded wing players, primarily (really the soccer analog to the Warrior 2-guard types, come to think of it).

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that he can't exactly choose another team. I assume this would be the Quakes using their 1st position in the allocation priority. He could try to force a trade like McBride did, but I don't think Convey has the pull that McBride does.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, that's true. But I would imagine that there could be some multi-party negotiation where he says he would come back to MLS but prefers team Y rather than Quakes, and MLS says, "Hey, Quakes and team Y, can you work out a trade?"

But I think it's unlikely that he'd have a preference of team Y over the Quakes to the extent that it would actually gate his decision to coming back to MLS (IOW I won't come back if it's Quakes, but I'll come back if it's team Y).

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    As trade bait=Yes
    As our starting LB=No

He can see his best days in the rear-view mirror, Frank and John can do much better and we have more pressing needs on the pitch. No thanks.

23. methodic

methodic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Rockwall, TX.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look for him to hold out until 2010. He could then potentially get back to his home town Philadelphia when they hold the top allocation spot.

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, god no. please no. no, no, no a million times no.

25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, your "ok" with the Quakes going after Convey? You kind of stradled the fence with your response...:rolleyes: