QF July 7 Russia v. Croatia [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    Croatia is willing to do better than Davor Suker and his teamates in 1998. I would not be surprised they will be world champion.

kennytt repped this.
  2. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They lost to Uruguay in the group stages. 3-0.

Respect to them nevertheless. It was an even game and Modric's lucky penalty was the difference between the sides.

Khadrim repped this.
  3. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A small country makes WC semi twice in 20 years...Very inspiring...

tudobem62014, Edwardinho and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  4. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Modric shows that Madrid touch - lucky magic.
    Freaky rebound.

5. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of cause not...and it's always difficult against the hosts. However they have digressed from what they showed in the group stages.

They still have more talent than England, but England have been the set piece maestro's so far... so it will be an interesting game.

tripwire repped this.
  6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50% chance of a first-time WC winner. Pretty cool.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A very heroic effort by Russia - when everyone thought they were dead, they equalize to make it 2-2 and to send it to PKs.

Croatians are rightfully ecstatic - 20 years since the last semifinal appearance, and then they fell to the eventual champions. England and Croatia will be one for the ages.

8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Belgium played like a bunker team against Brazil and I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing against France. In Euro 2016, France played like a bunker team against Germany. This goes for any team that is inferior to their opponent, no matter their quality.

Russia scored a splendid goal to open their account in this match. They won 5-0 on the opening day, getting the tournament off to a fantastic start. They're good side technically and everyone does their part for the team. Against Spain they couldn't be expected to play anything beyond a drab, defensive performance. And frankly, Spain were very poor and didn't deserve a win against Russia. You can't take anything away from them. They outperformed their expectations and made their country proud. Kudos to them.

tudobem62014, tripwire and kennytt repped this.
  9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Mathematically yes. But I think France and England are favourites in the semi-finals.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    They were second best against Denmark.

BGADK repped this.
  11. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pepper your angus England.

12. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's beat England and set up the first time WC champion with Belgium...lol

13. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England with more speed, younger legs. Croatia more quality. Good matchup.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  14. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    #214 tripwire, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    True for sure. They look lathargic at times. Modric has been their best. In ET he still looked like he had fresh legs out there.

15. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was wondering, what if the penalty kick come down tie, like 4-4, 5-5.
    Then what the next step to solve this, it is "fair play" where who have the LEAST yellow cards will go through?

16. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Croatia played two extra times with penalties. England will have the fresher legs. France saved the most energy of all remaing teams. Belguim needed big effort to beat Japan and Brazil. I wish for France - Croatia final but France - England is my guess.

17. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great effort from Stanislav Cherchesov and the whole Russian team No one gave them much hope before the tournament

kennytt and tudobem62014 repped this.
  18. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Modric has been fantastic. When I watch Madrid he looks good...but more a well oiled cog in a machine. In this world cup he's all over the place and seems to be the stand out player in every Croatia game.

tudobem62014, Metropolitan and cromagnum repped this.
  19. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to say Russia their fans and their national team have done themselves and the World Cup a great service for this tournament

20. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    This WorldCup has definitely taken years off my life. Back to drinking and celebrating WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

kennytt, Guinho and Pipiolo repped this.
  21. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Everyone who had been on the field at the end of the match has to kick until the tie is broken.

Buffonfan repped this.
  22. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    #222 Nuzzo, Jul 7, 2018

They go to sudden death penalties - each team gets one and if the first team scores and the second misses(or via versa) that team wins, if both teams score - one more penalty for each.

Note that here - you cannot have someone that's already taken a penalty be it during the initial 5 or after that - take one, therefore it can get to the goalies to take penalties.

In case the teams take 11 penalties each with no winner - then we get to the beginning, but again with a single penalty for each team.

If there's a send off from one of the teams - then the rotation is shortened to 10 if there's one red card, 9 if two...with the team that has more players - writing off one or two of them from the list of takers.

Actually...better watch this:

Buffonfan and Guinho repped this.
  23. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay 3. Russia 0

And their game against Spain was pretty much a cowardly disgrace. Sorry but coming out admitting you aren’t even going to try to play is pretty dire. Great for Russia to make the quarters, but they sure weren’t proud about doing it

24. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #224 Buffonfan, Jul 7, 2018
    Thank you Sir Hayaka. And thank you alot Sir Nuzzo for your detail explaination to me.

I actually like Russia team (don't like the coach), I went into this WC with no expectation from them at all, and they fight and get this far.
    I'm shock that they (Russia) make it this far, especially they such an underdog, aren't they rank like low on the FIFA ranking?

I did root for Croatia, as I feel that Croatia is a better team go against England.

Good luck to Croatia in the next match.

25. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My all time fave was a PK shootout was from the MLS playoffs a couple years back. Went the full eleven rounds, completely with matching saves, a PK that hit both posts before coming out (I beleive) and to top it off the decider was the two goal keepers shooting on each other. Portland’s keeper made the save and they went through. Awesome stuff. The only PK shootout I’ve ever liked

Burr repped this.