QF July 7 Russia v. Croatia [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

1. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    I thought Croatia played a good second half after a poor first half. Modric was everywhere as Croatia had Russia pinned back just could not find a goal. Still can't believe Perisic hit the post on that chance. England game should be a good one i just hope Croatia has something left in there legs.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  2. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    What is the condition of Subasic and Mandzukic? Croatia have some depth but those two players are huge.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't Croatia just reverted to their mean?

We're ranked 12th by FIFA, they're ranked 20th so maybe they just over-performed against a quite spectacularly inept Argentinian side?

They're actually ranked LOWER than Wales.

Of course, that would be the same Wales that beat and then drew with Belgium in the qualifiers for euro 2016 and then beat them 3-1 in the competition itself and this time didn't even qualify for the tournament.

People making ridiculous claims that ANY of these sides are head and shoulders above the others and saying one side will obviously win must have been watching another competition to the one I have.

Point being there's no real way of saying who will beat who on the day.

My guess is it will be one of France or Belgium, as you say, but it's DEFINITELY not set in stone as things stand.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Good to see you’re talking nonsense here also, lol

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a big part of the English game ans, as you said, Lovren is WELL known as being a liability on them.

Whether that's important in the game remains to be seen.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jesus, you really do write bollocks, sorry!

RealMadridEng repped this.
  7. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I will say this. Croatia has the far superior midfield..and England's mid is kind of a hybrid attack and defence...Croatia may have more space to show their talent which they struggled with the defensive nature of last 2 games. We will have to see how Southgate sets up.

8. RealMadridEng

RealMadridEng Member

Real Madrid
    England
    Jun 27, 2018
    YOu should never ever underestimate England, especially at this stage of the competition. England should comfortably beat Croatia because Croatia will be very tired. There’s not enough time for Croatia to recover for the game. England haven’t come across a team like Croatia in this tournament but Croatia haven’t come across a team like England either.

England simply have too much energy for Croatia to handle I feel. Lingard, Alli and Henderson won’t give Modric or Rakitic a moment’s piece. Harry Kane will be excited to face Croatia because he always bullies lovren when spurs play Liverpool.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They were talking about that on the TV.

As the guy there said, their midfield is superior but Mandzukic isn't as good as Kane any more and their defence is suspect, especially on our strength, set pieces.

The teams are probably pretty even on paper so it will just come down to who performs on the day.

But having played another 2 hour game with PK's tonight their guys, (many of them older), might struggle against our kids next Wednesday.

We'll see.

Should be a good game, anyway :)

Karloski repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2018-7-8_0-49-45.jpeg

;)

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The enthusiasm is nice...but England have played very slow in the knockout stages. They have had bursts of activity....but it has bordered on fear for a lot of parts. I just wish they understood that they have exceeded expectations and just go for it. I think they'd shock Croatia if they attacked at a PL pace.

RealMadridEng and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Dulac should be let go if once again he lines up Rakitic and Modric as double pivots. He did it before in this tourney and didnt seem to learn, as he tried it yet again today. He needs to start Brozovic, so that Modric and Rakitic can push up and play to their strengths.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  13. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a little puzzled what's going on with H Kane. He's England's best finisher, but today he was pulling back as a link and looked knackered. He hardly ever does that at Spurs. He's always forward point to holdup\link\finish....maybe a lack of trust in the people behind him??

14. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Lovren has been great for Croatia as he was for Liverpool down the stretch. Strinic is the big liability.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He looked like he needed a stretcher at the end of the last match. He was shattered.

He's had a 90 mins run-out today so should be OK again for Wednesday.

16. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    As soon as he put Brozovic on Modric became in leashed. Im sure the coach will play a 3 man midfield against England. Croatia really needs Perisic to show up. He has had a poor World Cup so far.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's generally a good defender. But on set pieces he's sometimes struggled in the past.

We seem to be working the set pieces well atm but, tbh, whether it becomes relevant remains to be seen.

These are all one-off games so any predictions are pointless.

Hayaka repped this.
  18. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Here comes the English arrogance. Remember you supposed to beat Croatia easily to qualify for Euro 2008. Yes thats when Modric introduced himself to the world and became the best midfielder in the world.

flaviense repped this.
  19. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's just all calm down. I think both semi finals will be close.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Strictly speaking the same things were said in the qualifiers for WC2010 and we beat them 5-1 and then 4-1 so, like shares, 'Past performance is not a guarantee of future investments'.

But, tbh, I think the guy's a wind-up merchant. Ignore him.

Did you miss my post above?

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/qf-july-7-russia-v-croatia-r.2084825/page-11#post-36871987

21. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Yes i read it. None of the past games will have any affect on this game. I think this will be the easiest game for Croatia to play since the Argentina game as England will be the favorites and Croatia always plays better as underdogs. Not worried about Lovren he has been a rock. He has had his ugh oh moments yes for sure in the past. My only concern is will Croatia have the legs especially Modric and Rakitic have played so many minutes for club and country this year. Vrsajlko will be key as well as there is a huge drop off to Jedvaj his backup. Strinic sucks and I'm sure England will look to expose him just like Russia and Denmark have.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it's super great that you think Croatia will win..and that it will be their easiest game. Most England fans think it will be their toughest test and they hope the boys do their best. Let's see what happens.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  23. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    I never said Croatia will win i said mentally it will be there easiest game since Argentina as they play better as underdogs.

24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Genius logic.

25. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    Looking forward to this semi final game so much.

Croatia have had a couple of gruelling long matches so hoping England will be fresher. They have some very talented players and in many people's eyes will be favourites with Modric, Rackatic, Mandzukic etc.

Credit to Russia, great fans and their team have done them proud.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.