QF July 7 Russia v. Croatia [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

1. mwjppgg

mwjppgg Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    let get the discussion started...

2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    *crickets*

3. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    I have the impression Croatia will play as they always do.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how Russia will play. It's perfectly normal that they played as the typical outsiders against Euro and World Champions Spain, but will they do the same against Croatia? Do they have a chance if they don't?
    Despite of their success so far, I don't trust them much. The only russian player who really impressed me so far was Akinfeev.
    On all their matches they haven't impressed me as a team either.
    I imagine Croatia should score an early goal and it's "do svidaniya Rossiya".
    I say 2-0 Hrvatska.

4. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
  5. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    With all due respect, if Russia win this one I might start questioning the organization :p. I expect Croatia to win, and it should not be close.
    I understand everything is possible on a single game but still, home advantage is not magic, a Russian victory would be an extraordinary upset in my opinion.

6. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Croatia are overrated. 2 maybe 3 decent players.

7. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Gotta give this one to Croatia. But please, no penalty shootouts this time.

8. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I think Croatia do what Spain should have done and wins this at least by a couple of goals.

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  10. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Lol ok there pal. Let's see they have players playing in Real Madrid Barcelona Juventus Atletico Madrid Liverpool Intermilan I mean geez those are among the biggest clubs in world football. They played poorly against Denmark but advanced and slayed there long time demons in the process.

11. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Denmark was a wall which only conceded 3 goals in the last 10 games, 4 of them ending as dull 0-0 (including the group game against France and a playoff qualifier against Ireland). This statistics page about Denmark says it all:
    http://www.international-football.net/country?team=Denmark

Russia was a totally different beast, with a much weaker defence than Denmark, they simply had no other choice than to bunker down to face Spain's possession they simply couldn't match. Russia's statistics:
    http://www.international-football.net/country?team=Russia

It's worth being noted that usually teams which qualified through shoot-outs suffer from it at next round. Since it's the case of both teams here, it's difficult to know which of both will suffer the most of it. Overall, I still believe Croatia should have the talent to win the game in 90 minutes this time.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOD WARNING:
    (this is a warning, not a note)

A not-so-friendly reminder: we're all here for the football. Keep the discussion on the match. Over the past week we have had excitable matches such as Sweden v. Switzerland and excitable matches such as England v. Colombia. Passion is a great thing, but when it comes to trolling, personal attacks, racism, sexism, discrimination based on sexual orientation, xenophobia, etc., the passion has gone too far. If your passion has gotten the best of you, expect your posting privileges to be revoked to some lesser or greater degree. We have been extremely tolerant of overly passionate posts, but that time is coming to an end.

We want all of you to post well, with respect and responsibility. If you feel a poster is not posting with respect and responsibility, report that post. We try to deal with it immediately, but we, too, have lives, so don't go into a fit if it is not dealt with immediately. And don't take the law into your own hands.

So, with that said, good luck to both sides, and let's enjoy the match!

The Moderators of Big Soccer

13. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Croatia win in Russia just not gonna happen.
    They both Slavic countries, but 90% of the crowd in Nizhny Novgorod was outside watching the games on the TV sets outside of the stadium. Meaning barely any fans for Croatia.

Ref will be scared shitless into making any calls against Russia. That’s normal home field advantage. Pk for Russia. Then a counterattack goal for Russia. Final 2-0.

14. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Croatia’s strength is its midfield. The wings and Mario are slow. Russia can just clog up the midfield and hope Mario can’t head one in.

15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #15 Kamtedrejt, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    What is scary about Russia is that they outran their opponents. They close down the gaps with a lot of effort. It's difficult to score against them in their backyard. You need more acceleration, tempo and directness to break them down. Spain was a perfect match up for Russia. Croatia is more direct than Spain but lacks the tempo other than Rebić. This one is close. Probably not a lot goals here.

16. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cannot argue with that. Only question is does the accumulation of matches start to affect Russia's ability to run and run and run? I'd guess not with the crowd urging them on. At least whilst they're level or ahead. Might affect them if they go behind. 0-0 all the way to penalties is surely likely.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I doubt Russia will strictly bunker against Croatia. You correctly mentioned why Russia would bunker against Spain, while I would add that their tactic in that regard was most definitely influenced by what they saw from Spain against Iran. But against Croatia, it will be difficult for the hosts to adopt the same posture. As hosts, they would come under criticism from their own fans if they played that way against Croatia, even if those fans would tolerate this posture against Spain.

I expect a balanced approach from the Russians, with a greater emphasis in particular trying to counter more often instead of having everyone behind the ball and focused on defending. Croatia isn't that skilled in terms of finding open space as Spain is and it will not require every Russian player to fill up the available space either. Their defense looks pretty good, though, so it will take the Russians at their best to carve out good chances against Croatia even trying. And the Croatian team is much taller and stronger than Spain in the air; the Russians won't necessarily be able to beat them from set pieces and corners the way they might have hoped to beat Spain.

Of course, if someone is having a brilliant day and taking shots that find the back of the net from a distance, things can easily look different. But I do see the likelihood of a scoreless match even without Russia strictly bunkering.

All in all, I give the edge to Croatia but since I expect a tight match, the bounce of the ball, luck and mistakes and errors are probably going to have the biggest influence over the final score.

Val1 repped this.
  18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a feeling this one could be a lot more entertaining than expected. Both teams scored freely in the group stages. Both will like their chances of going further.

19. minimalfb

minimalfb Member

FC Barcelona
    Argentina
    Jun 15, 2018
    I bought Sochi QF tickets long back thinking Argentina will top group D. Since then an unbelievable amount of water has flown under the bridge, it is not even a joke! My company for this QF is a Russian friend who was not at all interested in coming all the way to Sochi from his hometown St.Petersburg to watch Argentina but I bugged him to come along. Finally it turns out to be Russian QF and I am happy for my friend who is very excited that it all turned out this way. I hope they put up a good show to compensate for all the criticism they received during their match with Spain. But to be honest, Spain was dreadful to watch.

20. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Rebic and Perisic are not slow at all in fact there pretty fast. Mandzukic yes is slow. Croatia won't be afraid of the Russian crowd. Quite a few players have played in champions league finals and also won a game in Ukraine in front of a hostile crowd 2-0 to keep there world cup hopes alive. Ref might make a difference though will see but Croatia will not be fazed by the crowd support.

tudobem62014, Kamtedrejt and JoseEmidio repped this.
  21. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Croatia will be much more direct in attack compared Spain. Whoever said they have no pace has never watched Perisic and Rebic play. Russia just plainly outworked Spain, but this Croatia side is as physical as they come.

22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I feel that Croatia plays very similarly to Uruguay actually. And Uruguay beat the Russians 3-0.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If Russia/Uruguay wasn't already played, maybe. While the score in that match flattered Uruguay, and the game was after both sides had clinched and weren't necessarily putting everything on line, the match nonetheless held lessons that the Russians will keep in mind. There will be some similarities, but I think the Russians will do better than they against Uruguay. Especially since, unlike losing to a country from western Europe or Latin America, losing at home to a small Balkan country from eastern Europe will be a difficult pill for the Russians to swallow.

Still, while I don't think the disparity is that great, Croatia is a better side than Russia and will have the edge overall. But not by much and the hosts should be able to counter that edge around 4 out of 10 times at home.

24. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia had done a good job and so does Croatia. Hoping for Croatia to go through to semi final

25. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Well the fact is Russia played with 10 men against Uruguay for much of the game. If they don't get an early red this game, they probably will be better than against Uruguay, but similar type of game.