QF July 6 France v. Uruguay [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

1. mwjppgg

mwjppgg Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    let get the discussion started...

2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Keep it clean.

Fifa FairPlay

Just say no to Racism

3. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Edison Cavani is most likely out with a hamstring injury.

Matuidi out due to yellow card accumulation.

The absence of Cavani will have a greater affect on his national team. Hopefully Stuani, Gomez, or Arrascaeta can step up.

4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How worried are Uruguai about Mbappes pace, Griezmann hás basically scored penalties (good link up Play though) and Uruguai should handle Giroud? Fekir looked lively but Will not start and not sold on Dembele.

Basically what is the defensive Outlook versus France, any changes?

5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Since the other thread is by a Uruguai supporter maybe this one should be merged into that one, no offense, tudobem62014.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  6. Bulldog1980

Bulldog1980 Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Uruguay 2-1 AET

7. Viola Star

Viola Star Member

Fiorentina
    Italy
    May 9, 2006
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No Cavani, no party. France win.

8. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    I think it is a bit of a stretch. It would obviously reduce their chances to win, but I think both team can win this game anyway.

And Cavani did train today for the upcoming game ( fingers crossed). The french are expecting him to play. But again we have two good teams here. While France has a much higher potential of growth in the near future, I would say that right now Uruguay have a more cohesive team and a much, much better coach.
    Coaching and game plan will have a major impact in the last stage especially during long and tense games.

I see it as a 50/50 with an clear advantage for Uruguay if cavani play.
    Resilience, levelheadedness and coaching will be decisive. With a good coach and experimented players Uruguay has a good chance to go through.
    I will be supporting France from Brussels but I am a huge critic of Deschamps and I find France frustrating at times, as it is it far from its potential. I hope both team will play and rise to the occasion. I am tired of penalties kicks :whistling: .

9. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Good ol' Argentinian referee Pitana will officiate this match.

Cannot complain this time that the referee did not speak Spanish (Geiger, COL-ENG).

Source: https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/general-discussion-all-assignments.2084205/page-17#post-36855368

10. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    o_O wtf, they chose a referee from a country just eliminated by one of the contender and that is playing against a team from its own continent !
    That is a weird choice. No conspiracy theory :ninja: here, but it is a really surprising choice !

tudobem62014 and Viola Star repped this.
  11. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Can you imagine Maradona trashing Pitana, if things do not go well for Uruguay?

That will be something interesting to see.

12. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Should be a tough game.

Very disappointed that a player of Cavani's caliber might not be in it. Uruguay performs better when they have their top level strikers on the field. Add the fact that they have two world class defenders and it's no surprise that they've been defensively solid during this tournament.

France has highly entertaining players. Pogba and Mbappe are exciting to watch and Kante is a workhorse that holds the midfield. Their overall defense is a bit overrated, they showed weaknesses against Argentina. Di Maria had enough time to take a selfie before he got that shot off.

In terms of the refereeing, Uruguay has never won with Pitana as referee.

kennytt repped this.
  13. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Meh I mean it wasn't anything malicious in the game

No accusations from any Argentinian. Everyone accepted Argentina lost

It's not a Romanian ref when Spain is playing

14. logmarc

logmarc Member

None
    Belgium
    Jun 29, 2018
    Lol I am going to miss him, kind of :ROFLMAO: . If Uruguay is ousted out, i imagine he will be :

15. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #15 Buffonfan, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    oh my goodness, does that mean it a bad omen? that Uruguay might lost this time? Since you said Uruguay never won with Pitana as referee.

As for France, the reason why they seem like they were exceptionally well in the last match (against Argentina) because clearly you can see Argentina defense was bad in that match.

Let look at how France perform BEFORE round 16 knockout. In their group stage 2-1 against Australia. Won 1-0 against Peru. And drawn 0-0 against Denmark.
    They going against team like Australia, Peru and Denmark. And No, their performance wasn't exceptionally well in the group stage (3 matches).

France performance in their group stage it just okay to me, nothing stood out. They only stood out "AFTER" the match with Argentina. And we all know Argentina been struggling in this WC right? Or should I say, Argentina was scraping by to make it out of the group stage.

Yes, France did well against Argentina, but then Argentina was clearly struggling, Argentina been scraping by since their group stage.

And No, Uruguay are not stupid, they not going to to leave their defense like how Argentina did.

It will be a tough game indeed. But it funny how people said France will trash them, lol. Nope. You overrated France here.

tbh France wasn't praise that much until they beat Argentina in round 16, before that Argentina game, there wasn't that much hype on France.

I personally don't like France, so I root for Uruguay, praying Cavani leg be okay. I keep on Google keyword Cavani to see update of his injury news, but so far, still nothing certain.

16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Dude, there are only 10 comments before yours. Where are the funny people saying ABC will trash XYZ?

Holler if you see any ghosts.

17. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #17 Buffonfan, Jul 5, 2018
    Not specificly in this thread, it comments in news articles that I see, especially in BBC (maybe it an European news site, so they support France). Also in ESPN, and in Youtube too. And in other sites.

18. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    oh and talking about Cavani, I watched that match against Portugal, and I don't recall any player ran into him, or him ran into any player. How come his leg got hurt? There wasn't any accident occur right? He seems fine, and sudden he started limping and Ronaldo helped him off.

I pray pray Cavani leg be okay, but I have a feeling he won't be in the match, which I'm very worry that France might win, due to no Cavani.

19. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    So why bring that outsider trash here? To stir up trouble?

20. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #20 Buffonfan, Jul 5, 2018
    ? What? And No. If you read my post above again (post #11), I was saying my opinion. That post I quote Mod (heartandsoul), so let Mod read it and judge it himself. If Mod see my post #11 in any way not fit, he can delete it.

21. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I really hope
    Cavani is able to play,although it won't be easy for France to break through the Uruguayan defense.They still have Suarez ,who when inspired can be lethal.

kennytt repped this.
  22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Regarding Cavani, I don't believe he will start, but I do think he should come on later (maybe to score the winner for Uruguay).

23. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I think la celestes defence will frustrate the crap out of France.
    We beat them at home in qualifying,and we deserved at least a draw in Paris.

Uruguay to win.Suarez to score.

kennytt repped this.
  24. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Uruguay can defend against France in 90 minutes, it can win...Anything is possible without Cavani...But without Suarez, Uruguay would be in trouble...It's gonna be good game.

25. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The information is always open for interpretation.

Personally, I think Pitana will want to have a decent performance so that he can have the honor of being the referee for a World Cup final.