Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Qatar's temperatures were the least of the concerns for any of them.

What really counted for them, was the size of the bags of cash they were getting by each of the diferent bidders (all were giving bribes, some more , some less).......
    :rolleyes:

2. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The next president is likely going to be another AFC/CAF-backed politician. I can't see them rewarding the USA for destabilising FIFA.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now that it's the Italian... it'll be interesting to see what he does regarding '22.

4. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    he's swiss Italian

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He comes from a German speaking region.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    If you can call Valais-German that. :D

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point being now that Septic Blatter is gone and the AFC not having the presidency... it'll be interesting to see if they revisit 2022.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  8. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If he's Platini's proxy like it's been reported, very little.

9. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What would make anyone think so? Nothing indicates this is on the table.

10. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #2335 persianfootball, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    actually hes more of a mercenary...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sandinista, GunnerJacket and rooboy91 repped this.
  11. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first saw this I thought it was something from The Onion...but no it's being reported by BBC. Is this something that is supposed to appeal to the Wold Cup visitor coming to Qatar? Just add another reason why I don't want to go there.

2022 World Cup: Fans could be housed in Bedouin-style camps

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35863820

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The whole Qatar Wold Cup concept is like it has been written by the Onion.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #2338 Nico Limmat, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    I thought the general complaint was that Qatar will only have soulless luxury hotels pricing out the average traveler? Personally I think this is a pretty good idea, better than the docked cruise ships. I have been to desert parties in the UAE and it was a lot of fun.

And the way things are done here I would expect very high standard tents. So if you are thinking cheap open air concert like tents think again. I would expect something along these lines:

[​IMG]

superdave repped this.
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't mind the novelty, but my questions would be about restroom facilities, security and the density of accommodations. It's one thing to propose this for a couple hundred folks for a brief spell, something else entirely if we're talking thousands of folks staying for possibly a few weeks.

And again, the farce about all of this is the idea that these issues hadn't been resolved prior to this point. Prominent issues such as how and where the host will accommodate visitors and teams should be clearly known at the time of the bidding. That the 2022 process was done early perhaps engenders some extra leeway in this regard but not much considering the scope of what's at stake. FIFA (and the IOC for the Olympics) NEED to have clear, well defined standards that are logistically possible and fair to the host, but they should be upheld from the start. No second guessing or "what-if's" after the event has been awarded.

deejay repped this.
  15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Accomodation was identified as a medium risk in the technical report on Qatar. The main risk was that more than half of the proposed hotel rooms had yet to be built. Interestingly my own nation revieved the same rating on accomodation.

16. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally speaking, I'm not against staying in soulless corporate branded hotels, I live 1/3 of my life in them. But I don't like going to soulless restaurants and especially bars, and I want to see things outside the hotel that are unique and interesting to me. This is just my opinion based on having spent a large percentage of my adult life on travel. I'll gladly stay in a Marriott but you won't find me in the lobby bar or the hotel's restaurant unless it's something special.

But even for those who do prefer a small quaint, AirBnB type experience, sleeping in a tent is a real extreme, I don't care how nice the tent is! So where is the bathroom? For me personally I really hate shared bathroom facilities for my lodging.

For me a tent, no matter how nice, isn't happening except maybe as a one night novelty. That might be cool, but that would be it.

Cruise ships are almost as unappealing to me. Way too close quarters, super small cabins, inconvenient getting on/off, no thanks.

The whole Qatar experience is sounding worse and worse to me, not improving. It's a long ways off and things can change for better or worse (and the alcohol policy needs to be finalized), but for now I'm thinking my plan is still to maybe, at most, spend a few days there to catch maybe 2 matches and then continue on to another country like Thailand with a good viewing time zone, and a fun place to be to watch the games and other activities for the duration.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think these would be really cool.

I went to Kenya last summer. One place we stayed were these really nice tents...with indoor plumbing.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm with @GriffinGunner it's not so much the tents but the fact that the multiple aspects of the bid are being reduced or downsized and yet we still have six years to go.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    These are all valid questions but I for one expect the accommodations to be of a very high standard. Maybe even with indoor plumbing. This is a unique opportunity for Qatar to promote itself as a tourist destination in the mold of Dubai. They will go all out, potentially taking a significant loss on all the temporary accommodation.

It's not difficult getting people to return to the (more liberal) Arabian Gulf countries. The challenge is getting them to come in the first place due to the many negative preconceptions. At least that is my experience after hosting friends and family from Europe and North America for 10+ years.
    Fully agree. It's one thing to criticize the tent idea because it's “not your thing ” and another to point out the discrepancy to the initial hotel room commitment. Maybe this is the time to convince Qatar to at least share some group stage matches with the UAE. Dubai alone has 65,000 hotel rooms today. That's 10K more than Qatar promised for 2022. In any case, I expect a number of people to use Dubai as their base and take the 40 min. flight into Doha - especially if Qatar don't align their alcohol laws with the UAE by then (i.e. the serving of alcohol at the hotel pool and beach facilities).
    Fine, you don't like tents. Although I question whether you have actually been in a high standard one. You should see some of the Ramadan tents here. But these are personal preferences and this option would appeal to a number of people. Let's not complain for the sake of complaining.

20. Ladows

Ladows New Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Club:
    AA Coruripe
    Exotic destination, could be interesting.

21. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be pointed out that most of the cities that would have hosted the WC if the US had won their bid had more hotel rooms than the entire country of Qatar. I imagine that's probably the case in most of the Australian bid cities, too.

sitruc repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Between my house and Down Town Chicago on my commute there's probably more hotels than all of the Arab peninsula Nations combined. :p

sitruc repped this.
  23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is all well and good, and a perfectly normal aspect of why places seek to host these events. Which means it's yet all the more reason both the bidding nation/cities and the organization offering the event (FIFA, IOC...) to ensure the standards of what's required, what's offered and what's delivered. Unfortunately it's as if the norm of a the host nation failing to meet every promise is simply a bargaining ploy, like asking for a high price in the sale of a house knowing full well you'll accept less. The bidding hosts offer all sorts of concessions and boastful talk of accommodations, new amenities and infrastructure, lavish venues, etc., likely knowing full well they couldn't possibly deliver. FIFA and the IOC become complicit partners in the scheme because all the folks involved aren't truly risking anything.

Which brings us back to Qatar. It's really simple: We need FIFA to ratify the standards for hosting and then offer Qatar the chance to meet those standards, alone or with partner nations. If they can meet the standards then all is well. If not then move the event and promise a return to Qatar when they can satisfy the minimum requirements.

Simple as.

deejay repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With all the current event talk about security and safety pertaining to France & the Euro being heated and controversial and full of debate...

...just wait until 2022.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Personally I'm convinced Qatar 2022 would be quite safe, if for no other reason than that even Muslim extremists would see the folly of ruining this event in a (predominantly) Muslim country. Granted, I'm applying logic to the situation, but...

If, say, ISIS were to attempt something then they'd risk blowback from not only from western nations but their own kind, as well. They'd paint themselves as simply against humanity and social progress and would become hated by a majority of other Muslims. Goodbye any hope of support from the moderates in the Arab world trying to expand their wealth and influence through commerce.