Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as much as I would personally absolutely love to see QC22 taken from Qatar, and I think they deserve to have it stripped, at this late date I can't see it happening. They are so far down the road with billions already spent on new stadiums and improved infrastructure. The lawsuits and potential damages FIFA may be liable for at this point would be massive.

And how much time from the when FIFA makes the decision, until all legal hurdles are cleared? Seems that lawsuits like this take years. And what courts have jurisdiction? I'm resigned to the fact it's going to be in Qatar, and that for me the experience will suck compared to any of the other potential places it could be.

2. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Tell you what makes it the best: US visa ban against MENA countries.

A visa ban against citizens of multiple countries, active since January 2017.

We all know how FIFA loves host nations which enact such blanket bans against multiple nationalities.

3. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Most contracts have escape clauses in the case of the other party committing criminal activity pertinent to the contractual relationship. Qatar engaging in the illegal bribery of the FIFA selection committee would probably satisfy that criteria. With respect to what court would have jurisdiction that is probably spelled out in the contract. It seems like FIFA normally favors the Swiss courts in these matters but we would have to see the contract to really know.

As far as third party lawsuits, FIFA would expect indemnification from Qatar, given the latter's illegal activity. However, this is more problematic, because FIFA's hands aren't clean either. It might depend a lot on who signed contracts with whom. If FIFA could guarantee to their vendors that the vendor would still receive the contract for the replacement World Cup, FIFA might walk away in relatively good shape. But I agree that it would take years to resolve the whole thing. Whether that would prevent a replacement WC from going forward in 2022 is anyone's guess.

4. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I'm no legal expert but I agree with all that. You matched what I tried to say and what I'm thinking at the end of your post. In this case literally many BILLIONS have been spent (in USD), not to mention national prestige, etc. If FIFA were to pull the plug now, this would be one of the biggest legal cases in terms of money at stake in world history, not just sport history. Qatar would throw everything they have at this to fight it. What's a hundred million to then in legal costs when they're already a few billion down, plus their national honor? (yeah I know that's a joke to many of us at this point). Legal issues like this just can't get settled in short order, it would take many years. I just don't see it happening, as much as I would like to.

Nico Limmat repped this.
  5. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Absolutely right, there's just that one Panamanian newspaper article. I've searched the web and there's no other information about corruption and the Qatar bid.

One thing that's odd, though: why was the 2022 World Cup host decided in 2010, a full twelve years ahead of the tournament? That's never happened before, or since. It's like they already knew it was going to a place that didn't have any of the required infrastructure, and would need extra time to build it all.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Exactly how long will it take after the 2026 WC until you start demanding the next US-based World Cup? December 2026? March 2027? :D

(Day after the final?)

unclesox and Rickdog repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't demand anything, just state the obvious.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  8. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    There is an article every couple of months stating the same thing (I reference one earlier - probably in this thread). It's just that it coincided with the "questioning" of Platini so news outlets put two and two together and come up with drama.

In the lead up to this, FIFA (and the IOC) noted how expensive bidding was becoming and it was suggested that doing two at once would be more efficient - especially as FIFA had a rotation system up and running - given that delegates wouldn't have to effectively keep visiting Morocco every four years just to say "nice stadiums - but you're not going to win".

It turned out that it wasn't such a good idea - although there weren't a lot of complaints until people didn't get their bid to win.

J

9. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, pot meet kettle, as your agenda pretty clearly involves the WC staying in the Persian Gulf. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Homie, has said several times he would be happy with either a Europe or USA World Cup, so it's not fair to call him a partisan for a Cup in the States. I think he just wants a good World Cup, and given the short time frame left, the options for that are limited.

Marius Tresor and HomietheClown repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He is a very hypocritical poster. Says I am bias when all he does is try to tell the CONCACAF and CONMEBOL what to do when they have nothing to do with his teams or confederations he follows. And his excuse???? Uhhh It gives an unfair advantage to those confederations/federations and his confederations/feds gets left out of the cold.
    :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
    Plus he is the one that continues to stand up for the Gulf as you point out.

I think that is a lot more annoying then me stating facts and replying to a poster with facts.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  11. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In 1966, FIFA awarded three Wcs on the same day: those of 1974, 1978 and 1982!

However FIFA decided in ebruary 2016 that in future only one WC at a time will be awarded.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Oh dear...

Break out your NFL stadium list and let's get it over with.

For the record, I don't mind if Qatar loses it but would like it to remain in the AFC.

13. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It won't be moved unless the Swiss investigation - which has been running since 2015(!) - unearths evidence of corruption, however as time passes I think that becomes more and more of a remote possibility,

14. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Nobody knew what it was really for, so there was nothing to complain about.

15. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  16. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    So, what was it really for.

J

17. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Well, then that means China.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Curious, why do you care if it's in the AFC?

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Because he is apparently very unbiased.

21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Why not Japan or South Korea? They have the stadiums.

22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I guess. I can see not wanting it in the USA, or in the Western World. Or even wanting it in Asia, or wanting it in the middle East. I don't understand why people subscribe so much to the constructs of FIFA's confederations.

Every Four Years repped this.
  23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  24. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014