Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mind you all, 6 games/day would only be for this next World Cup, given the challenge of shoehorning a (possible) 48-team tournament into 28 days. Future ones like 20206 would see a regular 4 games/day.

2. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I don't think that one has been awarded quite yet... :D;):D

Paul Calixte repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

andregunts, Thezzaruz and Paul Calixte repped this.
  4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I heard they are not having national anthems for 2022 and beyond. Players are required to passionately sing an adidas theme song. And apple. Bids are still being accepted.

unclesox and BocaFan repped this.
  5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is how UEFA did the preliminary draw for euro2020, they held it in Decemebr 2018 after the WC and NL games had been played so perhaps they have asked FIFA is they can mirror that for the 2022 preliminary draw.

6. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Can you imagine a World Cup in the year 20260?

Jesus lol

7. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Alpha Centuri team looks good.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Those who live or are familiar with the region...

....Are Qatari rules and regulations as strict as UAE?

I just read a story about how a woman was arrested for saying rude things about her husband's new wife on Social Media.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/british-...ing-ex-husbands-new-wife-horse-100100911.html
    That sounds so insane to me for UAE. Maybe I could believe something like that happening in Saudi Arabia or something but in the UAE???
    Crazy stuff..

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It largely depends on who you are (i.e. Muslims are generally held to Sharia in UAE, while non-Muslims are held to something more akin to British Common Law), and how arbitrary the courts are feeling that morning.

andregunts and HomietheClown repped this.
  10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's screwed up. Do the laws vary depending on which Emirate in the UAE? Is Qatar secular or does it have Sharia law?

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It seems to work for them. It's still a huge tourism destination (mostly for Europeans).

In a word, yes. It's a federation, not terribly unlike the US, except with hereditary rulers. Ajman, which isn't too far from Dubai, is the tiny "spiritual" center, and very conservative, probably the most of the seven. Dubai is the most liberal by some way. Between the the two is Sharjah, the educational center (traditionally), and it's probably between the two extremes. Abu Dhabi is Dubai's slightly less liberal brother, but the outlying areas (which cover 75% of the entire nation) vary quite a bit and can be very conservative. Note that most of the area is quite empty.

I don't know a ton about the Northern Emirates (Umm al-Quwain, Ras al-Khaimah) other than they are quite poor compared to the rest of the country and might be thus more conservative in practice. Fujairah is also a bit of a mystery being on the Indian Ocean side, separated from the rest by mountains and surrounded by Oman; it's got some very large port facilities though and has been trading with the world for centuries.

More the latter, but seems to have a mix in practice as well (civil law in this case). (Also, I earlier misspoke w.r.t. British Common Law in the UAE; they use civil law as well.)

Nico Limmat and AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Rechecking, Sharjah is probably the most conservative.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    None of the countries in the GCC are secular. They all have elements of Sharia in the law. But it's handled differently from country to country, and indeed emirate to emirate.

For example, Dubai recently introduced a conventional will for non-muslims but the other emirates in the UAE are yet to follow.

AlbertCamus and Timon19 repped this.
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The interesting thing about the Northern Emirates (minus Sharjah) is that they all have alcohol stores where you can buy without a license for duty free prices. Look up Barracuda in Umm al-Quwain.

Also Ras Al Khaimah probably has the best tourism industry now outside Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Great licensed resorts. Last year I went to the all-inclusive (with booze) Rixos where about 80 percent of the tourists were Russian. :D

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Never got a chance to even see the Northern Emirates. Would have liked to just out of curiosity, even. Oh well.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    There are very strict laws on libel/slander in the region. One always has to be mindful of that. Especially when dealing with citizens of the country.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Next time check out a resort like the Cove:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People better be careful what they say on this site then while in Qatar. "This world Cup is the worst ever" Could land you in prison.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, maybe in prison you can find contraband bacon :D

HomietheClown repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am not going anywhere near Qatar as long as I can't eat bacon anywhere I want to.:ROFLMAO:

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is not just Infantino though. (He says) 90 percent of the Federations want expansion now.
    And we all know that it was the CONMEBOL that asked for this to happen months ago and they are not backing away anytime soon from what they want.

Things are going to get very interesting this summer.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's crazy, let us have one last world cup in this current format... one of the sells was a compact World Cup where you could attend multiple games in one day. This would be yet another selling point out the door.

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what, Infantino waves his magic wand, and Qatar and Saudi Arabia kiss and make up?

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No one is suggesting that at all.

Just saying they will try everything in their power to go to 48 in June and it is not as easy as saying Infantino needs to just stop,