Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    this is crazy

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3127 HomietheClown, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Every day since the announcement was made that Qatar would host years ago I have been saying this statement to myself.

3. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it doesnt matter at this point. No matter how corrupt the bid, Qatar is the host lets just live with that and keep it moving.

its waaaay too much to try ad strip it away from them at this point. Since we already have a 48 team for 2026 I wouldn't mind them doing it for 2022. Maybe Jamaica can qualify for both now :)

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    F that! Why too late to switch? We have almost 4 years! Any number of countries can organize a better WC in 3+ years than Qatar can in the 10 years they’ve been given. :cool:

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess what he means is that it seems too late because Qatar has already invested Billions of dollars in this thing when it comes to stadiums and infrastructure (and alleged bribes.)

andregunts repped this.
  6. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Thank you, if they were to strip them they would have done it years ago. Im looking forward to the first Middle East World Cup :)

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    "FIMC currently stipulates that the preliminary draw shall be staged in July 2019, the timing is currently under review, with both the structure and timing of the draw expected to change." - FIFA

So the Qatar2022 preliminary draw won't go ahead as first scheduled? Hopefully we'll have more info by early June. Are they thinking about several, smaller draws? E.g. start with a draw for the early rounds in AFC and CAF and move other draws to a later date (than July 2019).

8. andregunts

andregunts Member

Real Madrid
    Jamaica
    Jun 13, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Its crazy that FIFA is proposing expanding the tournament so late

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    almango repped this.
  10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    andregunts repped this.
  11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    andregunts repped this.
  13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just jotting down some notes as I read through:

• The tl;dr on this report is "Expanding to 48 for 2022 is fine because it makes more money, and money makes everything better" :p
    • FIFA acknowledges that NT tournament expansion is going on everywhere and wants in on the action
    • Once expansion happens, Concacaf's Hex is dead - so say goodbye to those epic USA/MEX WCQ. You want your Rio Grande Derby fix, it's Nations League + Gold Cup or bust.
    • My conjecture: FIFA's not worried about legal ramifications of possible expansion b/c 1) they already cut deals with the TV networks over the new Nov-Dec calendar, 2) the US got 2026, so they presumably don't care anymore, and 3) if Australia were to raise a stink, some bread could be broken chez AFC to appease them before it gets to court (e.g. a Grondona special - how does a free friendly vs. Messi +10 sound?)
    • Looking at the proposed match schedules, FIFA is seemingly set on the top seeds sitting out Matchday 3 :eek: I mean, they probably would have the lowest probability of needing a result on their bye day to avoid elimination, but woe to FIFA if it actually happens (e.g. Qatar getting eliminated because of a biscotto :ROFLMAO: )
    • If 6 games/day is going to be the norm, and presumably FIFA wants all the games televised at different times (at least until Matchday 3 in the group stage), the only feasible option I see is kicking that first game off at 9am local time and having only 30-min breaks b/w matches. That is:
    9:00 a.m.
    11:30 a.m.
    2:00 p.m.
    4:30 p.m.
    7:00 p.m.
    9:30 p.m.

15. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    FIFA spent $50 million to develop their new slogan in secret ...

... and then Paul goes and reveals it on BigSoccer!

J

Hayaka, jesta, unclesox and 1 other person repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is pretty Brilliant though.

It gives more credence to the idea by Infantino that we need more regional World Cups because there will be more Time Zones to choose from.
    For instance starting a game at 9:30 PM EST is perfect for the west coasters in California and Seattle (7:30 PT). :p
    Sucks for this World Cup though but this World Cup sucks anyway.

17. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I doubt it will happen. Still never underestimate FIFA's greed and it wouldn't exactly be the only promise that was broken to make Qatar2022 a reality. Let us enjoy a 32 team World Cup for one last time. As a compromise, instead of expanding 2022 expand the one after to 64 teams. Then we can skip that 48 team atrocity altogether.

World Cup 2026 to be expanded to 64 teams. With a much better format, a straight knockout World Cup finals (for competition purists), with repechage to avoid teams going home after one game. USA, Mexico and Canada are big enough to host the extra teams.

Sounds like it will indeed be several, smaller draws. AFC's draw to be held on 17 April. CAF to follow soon after as they start in September?

Furthermore a FIFA-spokesman has confirmed that "the draw for European World Cup qualifying is done in 2020"

According to FIFA's feasibility study on a 2022 expansion the deadline for UEFA is March 2021. Possibly the draw could be held in December 2020 when the 2021 UNL Final 4 teams are known (in order to draw these teams into the WCQ2022 groups of 5, they can't be placed in groups of 6 in case there will be 10 groups in total). Makes more sense to hold the draw after the 2020 EUROs (or after the UNL group stage in 2020), instead of using rankings published two years before the WCQs even begin.

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually, both the UNL and the Euro are Uefa sanctioned tournaments, where FIFA has no say in any of them.

For the case of Uefa qualifiers for the WC, it is a FIFA sanctioned tournament, where FIFA has the last say on it.
    It doesn't need any of the results in the other mentioned tournaments to make it happen. In fact, FIFA has already ruled, that only FIFA rankings count for seeding teams in diferent qualifier groups, where the european coefficients don't count for anything.

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Nothing in my post contradicts that, also IDK where you read anything about European coefficients because they weren't mentioned. The results from the UNL and EUROs are used in FIFA's rankings though. If "the draw for European World Cup qualifying is done in 2020" then FIFA's rankings could include results from EURO2020 (or even the subsequent UNL group stage). Originally the draw was planned to take place almost 2 years before the start of the European WCQs but it doesn't look like that will be the case. Now up-to-date (FIFA) rankings can be used instead and if they opt for a December 2020 draw then the UNL Final 4 teams are known and can be drawn into WCQ2022 groups of 5. We'll have to wait and see.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, although I guess you don't need to have 30-40 minutes between matches in the group stage (only KO stage when there is the possibility of extra-time and PKs). So could get away with:

12h00
    14h00
    16h00
    18h00
    20h00
    22h00
    :geek:

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would say 15 minutes because people like me want to see the ceremonies and anthems.:p

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta allow some time for the pre-game shows :D

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I actually love listening to the anthems. It's a great pre-match feature. It has the supporting fans of the nations involved singing passionately, the players (most of them, anyway) sing along and get motivated by it and there are some anthems that I just simply love listening to because I think they sound very cool, mainly Italy (which I quite missed during Russia 2018), Portugal and the Argentine fans "Lo-lo-lo"-ing with their anthem. :D

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, 2022 is a made-for-TV WC anyway. They're all kinda made-for-TV but now FIFA can't even fake it.

Its kinda good to have the matches spread out over 13 hours of the day or so cuz then no part of the world is stuck watching all the games in the middle of the night. In each of the last 4 WCs, if you lived in China, pretty much every match kicked-off in the middle of the night. (I think there was 1 measly match in Brasil which would've had a late-morning kick off in Chinese time, but that's it!)

Paul Calixte and HomietheClown repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. With VAR matches take 2 full hours to play now. :whistling: