Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I'm a tad confused how to reply to this, to be frank. You seem to have toned down from your previous position. Regardless, I'm happy to finally get an acknowledgement on your part of my concerns re Iran hosting a World Cup.

Doesn't mean we should lower the the standards even further.

Iran is an odd case. The people are actually more secular on average than those in the Arab world, but their government is one of the most ideologically rigid in the region, even by Middle Eastern standards. Case in point: Iran is the only country in the world that requires even non-Muslim women to cover the hair in accordance with Islamic law.

I WOULD be fine with an Iran WC if they would at least temporarily relax the ban on female fans, Islamic dress code, gender segregation, etc. Thing is, based on what I know about Iran and the Islamic Republic, I don't think they will. If you are more optimistic on this front, then we will just have to agree to disagree at this point.

My "bellicosity" was towards the particular regime in power in Iran at the moment, not Iran as a historical country or civilization. I think this is clear if you look at all my statements together. I even noted that I thought an Iran WC could be okay - under a new regime.

Hope that addresses things for you.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  3. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Perhaps "clarified" or "qualified" would be a better phrase than "toned down". Your original post, without further clarification or qualification, seemed to imply that Iran's "authoritarian political superstructure" was but a minor problem, especially given the comment that seemed to equate the idea of an Iran WC with Russia 2018. You didn't seem to understand (or worse, seemed inclined to intentionally ignore) what I saw as the key differences between the two, which I laid out in my original reply. Your reply to this (https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/qatar-2022.2001054/page-120#post-37417882) was brief and further cemented this impression. To be entirely frank, you came across as an apologist for the Islamic Republic.

Your later comments implied concerns about U.S. foreign policy, hence my later mentions of my own objections to said foreign policy in another reply to you (Post #3014). You then appeared to concur with me on this in your second to last post (i.e. the one before this one). This mitigated and qualified the content of your earlier statements, and I now no longer believe you are an apologist.

None of this is meant personally. This is an online forum. I don't know you personally. I have no way of knowing that you aren't actually an Islamic fundamentalist or supporter of the Iranian regime if you don't say anything that implies otherwise. I can only go off of what I see on the screen in front of me. I have enough experience online at this point that I make no assumptions about what people may or may not believe, however absurd some of those beliefs may seem. As I said, once further context and qualification was provided, I changed my evaluation of you.

So, yeah, perhaps you think I'm uncharitable, but that's just my modus operandi. It's nothing to do with you in particular. If you don't explicitly communicate something, I'm not going to assume that you hold that view. Sorry.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The approach you outline is fantastic, and the world would be a better place if more people aspired to that in their communications, but I think you may have violated part of your own process (which happens to everyone, so no biggie) and in fact sort of admitted to it. I never stated anything positive about the IRI, but you did continue on the assumption that I was an apologist of it (based on a sort of thin reed) until I "clarified".

Not to say it's unusual in general, or again that people don't sometimes trip up when attempting to follow a well-intentioned procedure for understanding...

Anyway, no harm done, and I hope we understand one another. I wish P&CE were this conciliatory.

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was how long ago? 10 years ago? The Guff Cooperation Council was in full force back then and pretty supportive of each other. Many, many thinks have changed since then I'm afraid... the Arab spring, war in Yemen, Qatar has a new emir, Saudi has a new crown prince. The two don't see eye to eye on anything and UAE has sided unanimously with Saudi. Co-hosting may have been a possibility back then, but with diplomatic ties cut completely for almost 2 years, I don't see it happening now I'm afraid.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Did you miss where I said "back then" and several other qualifying phrases?

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, hence my estimate of around a decade ago. Anyhoo, kind of depressing to think of what it was back then compared to now - a different political and economic landscape... anyhoo, co-hosting between UAE, Qatar, maybe Bahrain and Oman would have been kinda cool I will admit, but given the current political environment seems pretty far fetched.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It would have been the ideal hosting scenario for the GCC.

- Dubai (UAE)
    - Abu Dhabi (UAE)
    - Doha (Qatar)
    - Manama (Bahrain)
    - Muscat (Oman)

Maybe Al Ain (UAE) and Salalah (Oman).

But it's not going to happen now...

9. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as negative as I've been on Qatar, I could even get on board with this. While Qatar alone provides almost no interesting aspects for me (outside the football), being able to visit a variety of countries would make it palatable, though not ideal for me. I've been to Bahrain several times and have managed to have a reasonably good time there for a few days (although it gets boring fast). I think I could have a good time, maybe a really good time, if WC22 expanded to the list above. But as you say....it ain't gonna happen.

themanlarry repped this.
  10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Is there no middle ground that would allow all sides to claim some rhetorical victory? As in, FIFA breaks bread with the parties involved and convinces Qatar and its neighbors to share the expanded World Cup, but with only Qatar qualifying automatically and getting a top seed. The UAE and Bahrain could pound their chests for having strong-armed Qatar into sharing games, while Qatar would be able to claim themselves as the primary and only legitimate host, with preferential treatment from FIFA to boot.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China and India are huge countries. Maybe India and Bangladesh/Nepal/Buthan.

Talk about high altitude games.

12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, fam - looks like Qatar (the team) will be all right after all. Their football's marginally better, but they've become masters of the Jedi Mind Trick :D

(at 1:02)

13. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    the only ideal scenario would be to cancel the whole crap

Gistavo Amaral repped this.
  14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, blud - they beat Iraq today 1-0.. ironically the goal scored by an Iraqi born naturalized-Qatari... Qatar will now play South Korea in the quarterfinals.. this will be their biggest test yet. Korea have not been convincing and Qatar beat South Korea last time out in the WC qualifiers here in Doha. We'll see how things go...

Paul Calixte repped this.
  15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Iraqi heads explode when that player celebrated, like Americans did here on BS when Giuseppe Rossi scored for Italy vs the US back in 2009? :D

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    this world cup is getting more and more ridiculous ... but hey FIFA, just go on , this is getting more and more funny!!! :D

18. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    where is the problem? if there will be an addidtional 4 venues a 48 team competition is possible. abu dhabi and dubai would make fantastic world cup venues and with doha and dubai as international swing doors transpkrtation would be easier than expected.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is just making everything out to be one big joke. Like they are just winging it as they go along.

First it was going to be played in the Summer with 12 venues. (Many magical Air Conditioned stadiums)
    Then it was going to be played in the Winter with 12 venues.
    Then it was going to be played in the Winter with 8 venues.
    Then it may have 48 teams in 8 venues.
    Now it may have 48 teams with venues in Qatar and UAE.

And this is not getting into the politics, the voting scandal, the human rights issues, the Hotels and accommodations,. Food / drink restrictions, etc.

If you can't see how ridiculous this whole thing is then you are just trying to close your eyes and be blind to it all.

20. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    i understand the first points from your list could be critizied, but this last step is finally an improvement in my point of view.

dont prevent fixing it, if it aint fixed.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is called a bait and switch.

No one initially singed up for a 48 team tournament hosted in the Winter time by Qatar AND UAE.

They might as well just do a re-vote to relocate it elsewhere.
    That would be the best "fix" of all.

Gistavo Amaral and Hayaka repped this.
  22. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    you're both correct

but still, best fix would be not to play it at all! as a warning against greediness and a win for common sense!

Gistavo Amaral repped this.
  23. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    one must accept that a good 75 of the associations (placed from 25 to 100) as well as afc, concacaf, ofc and caf are pro 48 teams. so it is not all fifa's greed.

24. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    I did not specify whose greed :D

25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe they can keep it to 32 teams but in qualifying and in the group stage let TV revenue determine the results. If two teams meet that generate the similar TV revenues the tie breaker can be the score of the game.

BocaFan repped this.