Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you need a permit to not only get inside, but get as far as the parking lot of the only liquor store in the country. And no I don't believe tourists or anyone without a residency permit will be able to get one of those. And unlike other countries in the region, such as the UAE where the rule exists but is rarely enforce - they do check strictly here. So if you want a drink as a tourist, you need to go to a 5-star hotel and fork out double figures for a pint I'm afraid, or get invited to a house party or someone's house - don't worry, I won't ask to see your license. ;)

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    A sober WC? Well that sounds grim!

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #2953 Nico Limmat, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Over here in the UAE hotel bars and restaurants can be many things. In fact, a number of hotels now have external concepts/chains on their premises. For example, the Rove Downtown in Dubai has a licensed TGI Friday's. Then you have a Holiday Inn Express with a place called "Muchachas" serving authentic tacos.

Now, it doesn't sound like Qatar has had quite that evolution. In fact, they have gotten more restrictive on alcohol since being awarded the World Cup. Doesn't really make sense given their tourism aspirations.

Do you think there is an agenda of giving the hotel bars more traffic? Along the lines of "If I'm going to spend that much to drink at home, I might as well head over to the W Hotel cigar lounge".

Question, can two or three star establishments in Qatar get an alcohol license? Or is reserved for four and five?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only thing I can think of that could probably save this thing for drinkers is that all the stadiums will have to be open and designated as "FIFA watch party Fanzones" or something during all the games. But that would require lots of staff and security making sure everything is alright.

Just one big mess.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Elsewhere tonight the 2019 Asian Cup kicked off in the UAE...

Doesn't sound like Infantino's Utopian 2022 "Regional World Cup" (with 48 teams) is any closer to realization.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That still wouldn't really save it for drinkers. In other WCs, the stadiums and fan-zones are the worst places to drink. Overpriced crap beer and no choices.

HomietheClown repped this.
  7. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The past couple of World Cups I've visited the Fan Zones a few times just to check them out but prefer a good local bar to watch the matches. I enjoy having a few pints while I watch a match, either live or on TV. I also enjoy unique, local establishments.

I am not looking forward to watching matches in hotel bars in Qatar that will be (a) overpriced [probably more so with this new law], and will be no different than the corporate, soulless, cookie cutter hotel bars I avoid when I am on business travel.

HomietheClown repped this.
  8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The titanic orchestra was in good form though; and it was beautiful cold starry night, the iceberg provided an excellent excuse to get outside and get some fresh air.

HomietheClown and Hayaka repped this.
  9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    With women in burkas - bonus!

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was "save" in the loosest sense of the word.

BocaFan repped this.
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See #bothsidesdoit

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They better have a FIFA fest with overpriced beer.

If they do, we do not need hotels, you just have to only drink during games, with 3 per day games, that should be enough to get happy.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Fan Fests are great in that they provide a way for locals to watch the matches without having to pay a cent, but all day every day? Not for me. As mentioned above, its pretty much the last place I would go for a drink. If its the only place to get a drink I guess that changes the equation considerably, but also brings me back to the "why the f--- would I go to Qatar ever" question?

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Envelops full of money.

16. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #2967 BocaFan, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
    Nevertheless, whomever makes the money from ticket revenue now has to sell the idea of going to Qatar to alot of people.

Gistavo Amaral repped this.
  18. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It is a good book. Makes you realize how no one looks out for the whole. I think a lot of the bribe takers didn't think it would actually win. I also love the part where the guy who wrote the technical report is bummed out because he realized none of the voters looked at it.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's been the case for a couple of decades.

US dollars go pretty far in Abu Dhabi even with the elevated prices.

22. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Nico Limmat, I really do appreciate and respect your inputs here and I think as the tournament gets closer your knowledge of the region will be invaluable. But....when you state that a highlight is that a hotel in the region now has a TGI Fridays as if it is something good I have to absolutely cringe! If I were to choose an example of the exact type of place I want to avoid, I can't think of a better example than TGIFs! It's the perfect example of the US corporate, absolute crap place that travelers avoid like the plague. It just solidifies all my fears about how awful this World Cup is going to be. Like....the best I can hope for is if Qatar also gets a TGI Fridays? How is this good? I can go to almost any country in the world and go to a TGIFs, but I never do. Travelers want locals places, new experiences, unique stuff...not another TGI Fridays for god's sake!

As a Californian for 34 years I'm not even going to address the even greater horror of eating Mexican food in the Middle East. One thing I'm actually looking forward to is the local cuisine, I love Middle Eastern food. Even if I can't have a beer when I eat.

This Saturday I'll start my 10th or so season as a season ticket holder of the Tijuana Xolos and we will eat the most amazing tacos ever as part of our pre match ritual. I can't even eat tacos in San Diego anymore because I am so spoiled! Tacos in Qatar? the horror....

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TGIF is also extremely popular here in Qatar... although it would be more aptly named TGIT, Thank God it's Thursday as the weekend is Friday / Saturday here. You can't order any alcohol though and it's absolutely awful. Lebanese is a much better and more authentic bet.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #2974 HomietheClown, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    I am not much of a drinker so I don't really care much about the bars although I would like to have the choice of ordering a cocktail hypothetically (out of principle).
    I am also still mightily against FIFA hosting a World Cup in a place where I cannot have Bacon or Pork Products readily available everywhere I go. Many Latinos and other cultures may feel similarly. Especially in the winter when pork is associated with Holiday cuisines.

Speaking of which , it is also happening during the Holiday season (Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner) in the USA and it conflicts with my College Football and NFL schedule. People around this site may not care but let's face the facts, there is certain segment of people who buy up plenty of tickets for World Cups who do reside in the USA who will be inconvenienced by some of these issues.

"Hey Honey, tell your family I may not be going to Thanksgiving and may not be going to any Holiday functions because my team may be in Qatar until the 18th of December."

Merry Christmas
    :ROFLMAO:

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You misunderstood the point of my post (or I didn't make myself clear). I would be the last person to recommend TGIF or its casual dinning peers. I generally avoid them unless someone else insists. The point is the following. Hotels in Dubai now act as "legal vessels" for external concepts. They rent out the premise without developing the licensed bar/restaurant concept. That results in either chains having a licensed presence or you get truly original ventures like the aforementioned Taco place. And yes, the same thing happens with Arabic food but Muchachas sprung to mind first. Especially smaller two and three star hotels now host some interesting bars and restaurants. But even the bigger hotels have some fun places. For a good night out I sometimes head over to Lock, Stock and Barrel for its live music.

Hardly the "cookie-cutter" hotel bar you describe. Anyway, this discussion is a bit pointless. Doha is not Dubai and it is now evident that it won't be in time for 2022.

PabloSanDiego repped this.