Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Asian teams are the only ones that would be bad in my book.
    Plus a team like Russia will probably not qualify in 2022 so that is 3 UEFA teams that would add to quality the tournament.

HansWorldCup repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Fair point about there being 3 more UEFA teams, but you don't think CONCACAF will supply weak teams? The next best team after the US is T&T. Then probably Guatemala and Canada/Haiti(?).

NZ (who would probably qualify for every 48-team WC) is also considerably worse than Australia. When they were in the same confederation, NZ never came close to winning OFC and advancing to the inter-confederation playoff. And Australia themselves are barely among the top 32.

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Actually, they did once. 1982. The Kiwis drew in New Zealand and beat Australia away, winning the OFC qualifying group by four points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(AFC_and_OFC)#Final_Round_Play-off

Paul Calixte repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  6. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Okay. I guess. Not sure what that has to do with it. :cautious:

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That '82 New Zealand team is probably their best ever. Their 'Golden Generation'.
    Before the '82 draw many pundits felt New Zealand had a good shot of reaching the second round group phase.
    But after being drawn into the 'Group of Death' with Scotland, USSR and Brazil many felt hard luck for the Kiwis. The general sentiment was, "Any other group, they would have had a good chance. But not this group."

Hayaka and BocaFan repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That things have changed since 1982. Right now the top team in OFC kinda sucks (thus giving them an automatic spot in the WC weakens the field).

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Also Australia comfortably accounted for Honduras who finished above the CONCACAF teams you mentioned. Lets face it, its a no brainer that if you expand the competition by 24 teams that most of those teams wont be as good as the teams that qualified ahead of them, and CONCACAF drops off in quality quicker than any confederation with the exception of OFC.

BocaFan repped this.
  10. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I totally agree with that. OFC (essentially a one team confederation) should not be getting a confirmed berth. But they shouldn't have to play off against a CONMEBOL side either, which has mostly been the case recently. If CONCACAF is going to get to six berths in a 48 team field, their bottom team of the six should be in a playoff against the OFC champ.

That's how I would deal with OFC. Don't make it an "automatic" qualification for New Zealand, but OTOH, don't also make it all but impossible.

BocaFan repped this.
  11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any confederation? The AFC's right there with Concacaf - hell, Qatar managed to lose at home to the likes of Haiti and Curaçao.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Liechtenstein [emoji853]

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We Don't play CONCACAF sides often in competition but we played their 4th team based on their Hex results recently. They were only about as strong as Thailand and Iraq (teams we also played home and away recently. I reckon that's a pretty quick drop off and faster than Asia ie 4th team CONCACAF equivalent to 8-10 in Asia. It's only an opinion, but its based on comparing teams I've watched my national team play in competitive matches in the last year.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have a feeling that if expansion occurs in Qatar a majority of the extra teams added would be competitive (That is all I ask for really. )
    The main two reasons being:
    1) We saw what happened the first time the World Cup was held in Asia. Crazy things happened and upsets galore occurred throughout the tournament.
    2) We saw what happened with recent Euro expansion
    There were added teams that the general soccer fan population thought would not be competitive that got points against traditional powers. To the point where people in this very thread thought the matches were boring with the 0-0 and 1-0 type of competitive matches that were played. (You can't have it both ways and say the teams are going to get killed due to poor diluted quality and then say the games were boring when they are close.)

Excape Goat repped this.
  16. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018

Yea i agree!
    What do you think about Group of 3 ?

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, growing up in the CONCACAF region and watching a lot of Gold Cup matches over the last three decade kind of made me used to it. IT is not my favorite type of Group setup but it is not really making me angry either.
    There was only one time there was an issue when Canada and South Korea advancing had to be determined by the drawing of lots which was strange (and I felt sorry for Korea) but rules are rules.
    The good news about the World Cup though is there is less of a chance of drawing of lots if the proposed shootout system is implemented at the end of matches. Gold Cup did not have that.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  19. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    But if it was voted for 32 teams and i dont think Qatar want to have 48 teams. Imposssible...
    Its time for Fifa now to bribe Qatar :)

unclesox repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The CONMEBOL wants to have more teams. I am sure Africa won't mind having more teams either.
    If they vote on it I think it would pass.

21. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Yea my mistake.

22. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be some very weak CONCACAF and AFC teams at future World Cups. Even the best teams in those regions aren't very special.

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck finding anyone who believes that Honduras are stronger than the US - fair play to them for finishing above us on points, though.

And yes, I'd agree that AFC's 4th- and 5th-best sides are better than Concacaf's, but then you guys face a huge drop-off as well...unless you have a higher opinion of the likes of Bahrein, Qatar and China (all of whom have struggled against Caribbean sides).

24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Those pesky things called results tend to mess up the true order of things. If peoples opinions were what decided world cup qualification we would never have had to go through two playoffs to get there as everyone knows we are better than Saudi Arabia.

I have been impressed with the improvement that some of the 6-10 sides have made so whilst the drop off is definitely there, it isn't as bad as it was. It's at the top end that our confederation needs to improve a bit. Hopefully this world cup will show some improvement, but you never really know until the games are played.[/QUOTE]

Paul Calixte repped this.