Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's so late in the game now people are numb to the notion, so it's all a matter of adapting to the inevitability. What's more, any fraud glosses over the root cause of the problem - FIFA didn't have any credible minimum standards that would've prevented such a bid in the first place. As Rickdog said, the assessment by FIFA staff identified the risks. That the bid was allowed to be considered regardless of those risks is what makes this case egregious.

2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's the difference though. Instead of backpacking around Brazil (or Germany or wherever) and checking out cultural things and going to a game every few days (but watching with others the other games on a TV in bars or cafes), this world cup will be more of a 1 week in a hotel or tent camp, and go to 6 games. See the one or two cultural things. Its not worse, just different.

This all assumes you get over the ethical issues- worker abuse, homosexual bashing, and women's lack of rights. Not for me, but things could change in 5 years.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good point. I guess it depends a bit on the country though. In Brasil in 2014 I only traveled to host cities so I'm guessing here a bit, but I imagine the vibe was pretty electric just about every where in Brasil - host city or not. But yeah, if you're in Pittsburgh when US is hosting a World Cup you might as well be 5000 miles outside the U.S.

4. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    FWIW, when I went to Germany in 2006 there were lots of bits that had very little World Cup feel (I spent a night near Hockenheim while travelling Amsterdam -> Munich and you wouldn't have guessed there was any football going on).

Oddly, I also stayed twice in Wissembourg, which is (just) in France (it's quite close to Kaiserslautern and really nice) and there was a much bigger WC feel - stuff in windows and supermarkets etc. Mind you, so did London, although to be fair I was only there at a England v Trinidad corporate booze-up organised by a girl I met at a train station in Amsterdam.

J

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    HomietheClown, GunnerJacket and BocaFan repped this.
  6. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People will disagree with this I know but some cities don't have much of a vibe during a wc. The Brazilians were less into than I had hoped and almost entirely consumed by their own team. Certainly Fortaleza and Salvador did not look like they were really into it at times. The same can be even more said of France where only Paris seemed to know there was a tournament on.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  9. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't make it to Fortaleza but I was in Salvador twice during WC14 and I thought it had an incredible vibe. I wasn't there just for match day either, I spent 4 days there the first time and then 2 more when the US played Belgium. The bars had an incredible buzz every day during the matches on TV. I absolutely loved Salvador.

The one place I'd say did not have the vibe was Sao Paulo. I was there 3 days for the Opening Match. I think because it's such a huge city, but walking around downtown there were pockets of activity/buzz, but overall much of the city seemed like a "normal" day. Obviously there was some buzz, but it wasn't all consuming say like in Copacabana/Ipanema in Rio. There seemed to be lots of people downtown just going about their daily business while in Rio it seemed everybody was on holiday.

I have no idea what the buzz and vibe will be like in Qatar, but from what I've read it will be up to the visitors to bring it, not the locals. I loved hanging out with the local Brazilians in their bars, talking football, drinking and partying. What is the chance I'll meet a bunch of really cool Qataris who'll want to hang out and watch football and socialize with me having a good time?

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You will come across some friendly Qataris. The occasional one may even join you for an alcoholic beverage. But the reality remains that they are a significant minority in their own country (10%) so you will spend most of your time with us - the Arabian Gulf expats.

11. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    So it may not be that bad after all... Except, for women.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Care to elaborate?

There are discriminatory laws (that I view critically) around matters such as divorce, child custody and inheritance. But these apply to residents. Not tourists.

And for the purposes of this thread we mainly care about the tourist angle.

13. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    The fact the you constantly use the fake term Arabian gulf makes your opinion about a qatar World Cup pretty irrelevant, since you are clearly extremely biased. As a mod you should know better. At least use the term "gulf".

Mani repped this.
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I really don't care about the Persian vs. Arabian Gulf name debate. I use the term to describe the countries on this side of the aforementioned body of water to be more specific given the cultural differences between the GCC and Iran. For that and that reason only.

It is after all this side that is hosting - yes?

PS: if you want to discuss this further take it to PM's.

glennaldo_sf and Rickdog repped this.
  15. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Interesting, how will women fans be treated... Also, we will miss Brazilian samba dancers on the stands and in the "fan zones". What kind of WC is that?

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    We covered that here.

Generally speaking Qatar is a safe travel destination for women. I remember back when Qatar was awarded the hosting rights in 2010 some people argued that (then pre-revolution) Egypt would have been a more sensible choice for the first World Cup in the Arab region. That may be a valid argument in many respects but when it comes to the sexual harassment of women Qatar is an infinitely better choice. Strict laws have their upside too. Nobody wants to get deported over an elevator grab.

17. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    This is terrible. Nevertheless, may be still safer than Koeln and Malmoe...

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    glennaldo_sf repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep and what is one massive reversal of fortune, it is actually my WIFE that is insisting we go to this match... probably because our daughter is performing in the opening ceremony rather than the football itself. Being the avid football fanatic myself and usually the one who'd insist on this, I'd rather actually avoid the chaos (and trust me, chaos there will be...) and just watch on TV, but looks like I'll be there (or will have tried at least)...

20. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Hayaka and athletics68 repped this.
  21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a look at the "new" stadium from tonight.... well I put brackets around the word new as it's the same site of the old Khalifa Stadium, but I guess it's been redeveloped. Anyway, will see at the Emir Cup final tomorrow between Al Sadd and Al Rayyan, the former featuring Xavi

[​IMG]

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  22. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What a great looking shopping centre.

Skandal!!! repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here's some video footage from the first ever match played at Qatar's first World Cup ready stadium.... The Emir Cup final, which was won by Al Sadd who defeated Al-Rayyan 2-1. There were some genuine footballing legends on display on the night, including Xavi for Sadd, and Rayyan are coached by Michael Laudrup.. .only realized though when his face came up on the big screen. As you can see I had pretty much VIP seats... row 150,796, seat ZZXY47 or something like that.... the temperature in the stadium was down to 20 degrees despite the sweltering heat.. .mind you, it was night time... don't know if they'd have so much success in the middle of the day

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The seats look a mile from the field, even the front row.

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #2500 Rickdog, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Actually, it looks as far as it would look in any stadium round the world, with an athletic track around the pitch (covered with a green carpet , as it is usually done , for the looks of it).

Lots of WC stadiums of the past (of other countries that have hosted the WC before), had the same condition, so this one wouldn't be an exception.;)

Now if you still see a mile, then maybe you should go and see an eye doctor, as not even at its largest length (including the stands and whole building structure), it reaches 1 (one) mile long. :rolleyes:

glennaldo_sf repped this.