Qatar 2022: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    Wow...you want others to stick to the topic, yet you're the one referencing Brazil's five world cup championships? OK.

And further, if we "suck" because we've never won the World Cup (despite having taken part in the last six and advanced out of the group stage in three of those), then how, exactly, is Qatar more qualified?

Sticking to the topic at hand, based on the criteria you're suggesting (that soccer ability is somehow relevant to hosting), then yes, once again, the US (as well as Australia, and for that matter Japan and South Korea) are all more qualified hosts than Qatar.

Your game is getting tired. You like the Qatar bid, which in and of itself is fine, but trying to act like it legitimately was the best and most deserving bid is absurd.

Step 1: Rickdog presents an argument for why this bid selection was justified.

Step 2: any poster with a fully functioning frontal lobe tears the argument apart.

Step 3: Rickdog performs mental gymnastics that would leave him in the shape of a pretzel, all to somehow prove that what he's saying is correct.

1 person likes this.
  2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any reason for this thread to continue to exist?

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not really. I think everything to be said has been said 3 times over.

4. Deathstar

Deathstar Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Syd Er Knee
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If we can keep it on topic and avoid the irrelevancies then this thread can be a useful way for discussing Qatar and the preparations for WC2022. By all means report abusive posts and posters to the moderators and delete unsuitable or off topic posts but keep the thread going.

5. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Yes, just for fun. I check it out every lunchtime at work and it lightens up my day.

6. Deathstar

Deathstar Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Syd Er Knee
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Negotiating the Qatari legal system can be difficult

A salutatory tale for anyone contemplating working for Qatari businesses:

More at: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...-trapped-in-qatar-can-diplomacy-free-beydoun#

The thing is it can take years for laws and legal systems to be brought up to date to deal with matters like these expeditiously and fairly. Does Qatar have the time let alone the inclination to go down this track?

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You got things very well mixed up, my friend.

First of all, my personal preferences were Netherland-Belgium and Australia, both of which lost. But however, I accepted FIFA`s designations, as they are who must finally decide, not me. Not accepting who they finally chose, is typicall of a sore loser. If you can`t deal with the outcome of this kind of decissions, don`t bid in the first place. This is FIFA WC we are dealing with and a bidding process is not a competition to decide which is the best of all. All parties participating in this process, have to convince those who vote, to vote for their bid. I`m not implying that who finally wins is the best, but they got the votes and therefore they get to be the hosts. It`s very simple. If in the past, only the best bids were to be chosen, many of the past WC would have never been held.

Secondly, regarding specifically to Qatar, I do believe that they played their cards with extreme geniality, convincing those who had to take a vote, on lots of things that appear as wonderful, but are still today, inexistent. Anyhow dreams do exist and as they appear as possitive, I believe that they should be encouraged. You can have your own ideas regarding this issue, but you will not convince me otherwise, the same way I will not convince you. If someone posts an issue in order to discuss on it, specially if it regards the topic of a thread as this one (news & analysis), well, good for the discussion of it. It is not meant to convince anyone, but through the process of discussion, you or me, can learn something through it

Third, I never said anything regarding who is a better host, I only replied to those who did, the same way as lots of others have had. In fact, I don`t give any importance to which level of the game or about the past history, the team who has the will to host, can have. Not being a powerhouse doesn't disqualify anyone in advance, from being a good host and having an excellent WC themselves. The worst thing that can happen to them, it is that they`ll get eliminated very fast in their own WC.

Fourth, once asked by other members (Druryfire) to stick back to topic, as his point is absolutely valid, I will try to comply, although some members here insist in changing the topic for their amusement on issues of their own selfish interest, that have no relation to the OP.
    :)

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Europe gets 2026, then Europe will have held FOUR Cups between NAmerican cups.

You might be right...and your overall point is definitely correct. The only logical alternative to US 2026 is Europe getting another one, or Canada, which, as a nation, decides to waste :D its money on stuff like education and health care rather than building a bunch of white elephant stadiums. So long as they retain that policy, they aren't a contender.

Somewhat OT, but to me, the logical rotation at this moment in history is probably Europe, Western Hemisphere, CAF or AFC, Europe, etc.

1 person likes this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you close this thread, there's just gonna be another thread soon enough. Here's my suggestion.

1. General posts about Qatari culture are out of bounds. That stuff, IMO, gets awfully close to crossing the line into racism, which, in turn, generates defensive, abrasive posts on the other side.

2. On the other side, people defending the Qatari selection should try to stick to the facts. It's really frustrating for me, personally, the number of times I have to remind posters that the Qatari bid got the worst technical rating. It is frustrating to have to remind people that FIFA had a rule about cities and venues that was ignored in the Qatari bid and in the voting.

If we can't even agree that the sky is blue, then what's the point?

May I suggest this...can someone explain better the "legacy" idea? Where are the deconstructed stadiums going to go, who will bear the cost of transportation and reconstruction. etc? That's a fascinating idea. I, personally, am enormously skeptical about it, but I'm willing to be educated.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I`m no expert here, and like you, I`ve had these same questions to myself. As I said before, I believe that lots of what their bidding comitee used in their bid, in theory seems very wonderful, but in practice almost anything actually exists, and all there is about it, is simply opinions of what someone believes about them. I would really like that these questions you posted be treated with seriousness here as how they are, it is a very valid point for being discussed about.

Here is a recent interview with Mr. Jon Sinigaglia, who was Project Director for the FIFA pre-qualification bid inspection of Qatar and was an integral member of their winning bid team, whose opinions (they aren`t official Qatar FA opinions), given his position could enlighten a bit better about the legacy issue :

http://backpagefootball.com/world-c...id-inspection-project-manager-jon-sinigaglia/

As he says, lots has to be done and if possible the international community should focus their criticism on the Qatar FA, in order to get from them an official pronunciation about this and other issues as well. I personally wouldn`t like to see afterwards their WC, that the stadiums be sent only to powerful nations and least of all, only to those nations that gave Qatar their vote for this WC. As superdave asks, who will get them ?, who will pay for the transport ? and who will rebuilt them once they reach destiny ?

If a poor nation can`t afford any of these high costs, and no one really is paying all of them, they would end up being only good intentions and words diluted in the wind........ I really hope this is not the issue here.
    :)

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would suggest closing it because it's just too long. We can create new threads for any additional topics that will come up in the next 11 years.

12. qatar_forever

qatar_forever New Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I am an Australian but i thought that qatar had by far and away the best bid and i am loookingt forward to seeing them put on the best world cup of all time. A lot of my friends are qataris and i was as pleased as punch that they will get to see the world cup. To all the ignorant comments i have to say please open your hearts and minds to the wonders that qatar will bring to the world cup.

I do hope australia supports bin hammam for his presidency considering what he has done for our country.

13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so based on the last few posts I think we need to shut this down and reconstitute it under a stricter format that's news driven and focused strictly on the nuts and bolts of the Qatar effort to deliver on their bid.

Revisiting the previous discussion of the politics, corruption, etc. of the bidding process is out, since it's gone round and round for at least two threads now and all it's done is make positions more entrenched and people angry.

The "Qatar is a terrible place" vs "But where you live is much worse", etc. dynamic has also reached a ripe old age and needs to be put out to pasture. You are welcome to discuss the troubling aspects of [insert the country of your choice]'s society in the Politics forum.

(My apologies to Timanfaya for depriving him of his lunchtime amusement. You're a good'un, but all good things must come to an end. And this thread was never that good to begin with.)