Qatar 2022: News & Analysis (Strictly Moderated)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by msilverstein47, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Vote buying.... then evidence needs to come forward and it's rather ridiculous really that after 2 years we still have no evidence... so really you need to move on from this and get with the real world. The cup is going to Qatar, you need to get out of the state of mind you've been in for the last few years and move with it.

Provable or not doesn't work does it. You can't find someone guilty on no evidence like you appear to want.

As always you have no basis on why it should be moved. You can't jut say its f'in Qatar when the likelihood is that you know nothing bout f'in Qatar other than what you want to know. You want to know the bad parts, every country has bad parts, but you won't see the good parts.

2. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually have a bunch of evidence, read the article I posted. There are several ongoing investigations, these things don't happen overnight. Just because someone is still on trial doesn't mean that they're innocent. FIFA, in general, is made up of some of the worst people in the world. Jack Warner diverted funds from youth centers into his own pockets.

As far as the construction deaths go, that number is from the Nepalese government and Nepalese workers only make up 1/6 of the workforce in Qatar, so the number of total deaths is probably closer to 1,000.

The horrors that foreign workers face in Qatar is well documented. They regularly have their passports taken to prevent them from leaving and forced to live in squalid conditions. It's forced labor, period. In the US we fought a war 150 years ago to end that sort of thing and a million people died, so I'm not really fond of supporting a country that is at best a slavery apologist.

And the heart of this is that Qatar, while rich on a per capita basis, doesn't have a ton of money. The GDP is about half of Los Angeles. If the world puts pressure on them to actually treat workers like human beings they won't be able to afford the World Cup.

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The world won't put pressure on them and you know why? Because the floodgates on their own turf will open up.

End of day.... forced labour, then don't go to that country in search of work. US is a bad example of a country to use, Guantanamo Bay and forced imprisonment when never charged is far worse really.

4. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're splitting hairs because you know damn well they are currently building the infrastructure for the 2022 World Cup. From the Guardian article I posted earlier:

In addition, the ITUC made FIFA well aware of the horrid working conditions of migrant workers in Qatar in 2011, so FIFA and/or Qatari authorities have turned a blind eye and hundreds have died needlessly in the last two years.

5. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stakeholders are just playing nice until after Brazil. Some of them have contractual obligations that carry through the 2014 World Cup. People just don't want top ruin what should be a nice tournament in Brazil. After Brazil, the gloves come off. The Garcia investigation won't announce anything until after Brazil, because its going to be a huge scandal. The special commission formed to negotiate with stakeholders to work a plan to move the tournament to a different season won't announce anything until after Brazil, because the news about how ready those stakeholders are for a fight won't be good for FIFA either.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No, they damn well aren't.

The Guardian and other news outlets sell stories by attaching World Cup to the articles.

The year is 2014, 2022 infrastructure has not started yet.

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The stakeholders have been playing this game or over 2 years now? Come on. The stakeholders are always changing, so why you think they keep quiet for so long?

The gloves might come off, but the facts are still the same before they came off.

Who are these stakeholders? You going to say Fox again? Who else? Thing is, no one in UK cares, world cup in winter still sells on TV you know.

8. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #958 Pablo Chicago, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    Oh really? You might want to, you know, actually read some of the articles you post.

So they didn't break ground in October of 2012, and they aren't on schedule to complete Phase 1?

9. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've tried to keep this somewhat civilized, but you're an idiot.

I don't give a rat's ass about the US dirty laundry when it comes to Qatar. Yes, the US is holding a few dozen guys in a military prison at Guantanamo Bay. I fail to see, even if you view this as some abhorrent crime against humanity, that it gives Qatar permission to practice slavery.

Here's the thing chuckles, freedom of movement is a basic human right. Just because someone goes to Qatar doesn't mean anyone "owns" them. I know this is a mind blowing concept, but it's based on a little thing called "empathy." If you, God willing, would have been born in a poor country you may well have ended up as one of those dead Nepalese workers. Can you comprehend that? Can you accept that the royal family in Qatar only has money and power because they were born on a pile of natural gas? Good for them by the way, but it doesn't give them the right to exploit people who were born on dirt. Try treating people as you would want to be treated.

I hope they do hold the World Cup, and I hope it bankrupts them and makes them the laughing stock of the world. Because quite frankly you and that "country" have done nothing to make me regard them with anything but contempt.

england66 repped this.
  10. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of your North American stakeholders are opposed. Its not just Fox, but Nike, the CONCACAF Executive Committee who have 3 seats on the FIFA Executive Committee, Coca-Cola, Annheuser-Busch InBev, all of them. The money that is spent on sponsorships doesn't just grow on trees. It is allocated carefully by each business quarter. They will only spend a certain amount per quarter. If you move a major event to a different quarter the money allocated to spend by a sponsor for that quarter doesn't just go with it. This is what moving the World Cup will cause, it will force sponsors to divide their budgeted spending allocation for that quarter more ways. So moving the World Cup doesn't just effect FIFA, it impacts every single event that draws sponsorship dollars worldwide. The money doesn't increase, just the people competing for it do. And FIFA has an insatiable appetite. And here's where FIFA loses out. The NFL has an insatiable appetite for money too. And FIFA thinks they are all powerful, but the NFL and NBA are bigger sporting organizations than they are, and their sponsorship contracts are negotiated earlier and longer than FIFA's. There isn't any sponsorship money for FIFA to have in a different season, other big organizations already have a contractual claim on dollars for those quarters. FIFA will lose billions in sponsorship revenue if they move this tournament. And that doesn't even get to FIFA's media partners. They poison the North American media market, they won't just get sued over the 2022 rights, but every future contract FIFA goes to sign will be worth less due to the dimished return of 2022. The Qatar World Cup is going to bankrupt FIFA if its allowed to happen. But, I'm pretty confident it won't happen. This World Cup is never getting staged.

11. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England

Your right, freedom of movement is a basic right and then you go to the US and DENIED, not allowed in. What more can I say.

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England

Yep, phase one, no deaths. Will b ready for 2019, so what's your point here?

14. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fact: the immigrant population of the United States from United Nations stastics is 45 million, 19.8% of the world total.

15. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't have to let people IN, you have to let them OUT. I don't really have the time to explain to you why.

" Article 13 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights reads:

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each State.

(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country."

england66 repped this.
  16. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not only good at splitting hairs, you're also good at splitting posts and moving the goal posts.

My point here is 1) You are wrong. They are currently working on the infrastructure for the World Cup (if you read the articles you post you'd know that), and 2) people continue to die in horrid, squalid conditions of Qatar's labor camps despite the ITUC notifying FIFA and Qatari authorities of such conditions as far back as 2011.

england66 repped this.
  17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    druyfire is a Qatarie lackey.....he is, as noted, an idiot. He (couldn't be a woman, they have no rights there) continues to blindly defend the indefensible with his nutcase observations about FIFA's corrupt 'decision' to award the world cup to this hell hole....summer..? winter...? what the fook...just take the f'in world cup away from these crooked morons.

Bubba1971 repped this.
  18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Is the construction of stadia and infrastructure for '22 magically going to be safer than construction currently is in Qatar? If so, how are they going to achieve this?

england66 repped this.
  19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I actually appreciate druryfire for standing up for an unpopular cause or stance, since I believe every position needs a vigorous advocate if the truth is going to emerge in any debate on any issue. While I don't agree with druryfire's stance on Qatar being awarded the World Cup, and find that choice entirely nonsensical, the fact that druryfire defends the choice will at least make sure the arguments against Qatar are based more on reality than some of the nonsense some might wish to throw in there to pile up on what are the other valid arguments against Qatar being awarded the World Cup.

20. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'd appreciate him even more if he stayed on point, admit when he is wrong, and acknowledge there are some issues that even the staunchest of supporters cannot defend. You only need to go back a handful of posts to get an idea of how much nonsense druryfire has thrown into the 39 pages of this "Strictly Moderated" thread.

Speaking of strictly moderated nonsense, how long do you think it would take BS moderators to shut down a survey thread that posed the question:

How much would you be willing to pay for a 2022 World Cup ticket?

A) $1,000
    B) $5,000
    C) $10,000
    D) 4,000 human lives *

* The number of workers the ITUC estimates will die before a ball is kicked in the World Cup if Qatar does not introduce reforms and meet international labor laws.

21. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    everyone should clearly stop replying to this guy... he has his own opinion (rather full of bigotry if you ask me) time will have a way to sort things out. I would say say here in less than 2 years there will be a huge change for 2022 in terms of a bid switch.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're confusing Qatar with Saudi Arabia. Women have a full gamut of rights in Qatar including the right to vote. In fact Qatar is one of the more progressive countries in the region when it comes to women's rights.

23. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So women can vote in the elections that never happen? That's pretty cool I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Qatari_general_election

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've had several lower level elections in the last decade that women have voted in and run for office in. But not sure what you expected out of a country with a strong constitutional monarchy. It's not just women who can't vote in that election that never happens.

25. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other, better, examples of voting rights in the same region. Qatar is actually lagging.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Kuwait