Qatar 2022: News & Analysis (Strictly Moderated)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by msilverstein47, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    I really do hope Qatar does successfully follow through with their plans of air/con stadiums. You have a silly mentality of trying to defend qatar's bid with silly rubbish. I welcome any debate as long as there is credible debate/evidence and yet you continue to state the obvious, yes we know qatar promised a/c stadiums you dont have to continue repeating something that is obvious. People make promises all the time that dont turn into reality. But you tell me, why would FIFA officials recently start announcing that it might be moved to December?Doha in December has minimum temperature of 60 degrees and max of 80 degrees on average..

2. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
  4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Look, I don't know if you realise, but Qatar have said they can host any time of the year. FIFA suddenly had this idea of moving to winter, quiet whispers within FIFA and UEFA President, FIFA might move it to November/December - this is not confirmed yet.

These dates would interrupt the majority of European leagues, but not all, as many would actually be on winter break.

I would prefer it to be played in April/May when the weather is acceptable for football, and this only causes a slight fixture alteration and not the big move that is needed.

European leagues know that April is acceptable but UEFA appear to be pushing for Winter, why? I don't know why, maybe because they want to make a point of something.

Qatar can host whenever, if in June/July, then they really need the Air Con, if any other time of the year then they don't as such.

What FIFA didn't think of when awarding the world cup was the fans, it's ok playing football in air con, but it will be stifling just getting around Doha in June/July. The average joe will probably never see any of Qatar as they'd want to be inside all the time.

Your right, promises are always made, I'd like to see them be met, if they aren't, from air con, to dismantling stadia by hopefully not holding everyone else by a gun then it would be good.

As for dismantling stadia, just recently Qatar has made partnerships with a few nations, ones I can remember on top of my head are Djibouti, Kyrgyzstan, so these might be the nations in line for dismantled stadia.

5. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    No, FIFA wants it to be in June as it has been traditionally. The move to December would only be in case Qatar backs out of their proposed A/C stadiums. You are just burying your head in the sand and cannot face the reality of the situation.

6. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strictly moderated my ass.

7. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Suddenly? There have been noises within FIFA since pretty much after Qatar got awarded '22 that a summer World Cup there would be impractical.

8. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/24/qatar-2022-world-cup-185-nepalese-workers-died-2013

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No, your somehow twisted here.

UEFA President has talked about Winter
    FIFA President has talked about Winter
    Qatar have talked about summer

So, you see your wrong.

10. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Yes suddenly, last year, 2 years after being awarded.

FIFA have not talked about it until last year and still haven't really talked about it as they say they won't until after Brazil.

You are getting mixed up with Platini at UEFA who talked about it pretty much after Qatar was awarded. Little details like Platini at UEFA and Blatter at FIFA you are getting mixed up on I think.

11. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    still burying your head in the sand .....very sad mentality

FIFA is accomodating to Qatar's request. the organization committee of qatar controls construction and organization .. fifa only inspects

here are a few questions to ponder and please answer them (druryfire) if possible before replying without any validity

why would you building an A/C in optimum weather in December (60-80 degrees)?
    you wouldnt, it would be a waste of money and energy.

why would you consider moving the world cup to december?
    speculations point towards a probable failure of qatar to build A/C stadiums in June which would make it impossible for player to play in june, thus moving the world cup to December for optimum conditions WITHOUT A/C stadiums.

how would it benefit the leagues that send their elite players?
    Barclay's Premier League DOES NOT GET A WINTER BREAK
    La Liga BBVA gets 1 week break

12. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I don't believe you can't understand it!!!

It is FIFA talking about moving it, not Qatar!!

Your right, they wouldn't need AC in December, but then it wouldn't be 120 degrees!! So it would be a waste but then that's you also assuming that they will never play football outside of December ever again! They might still put in AC for the future!!

The World Cup has always been played in June/July, leagues outside of Europe have had to o a break, and for once only the EPL will have to! Yet they have 8 years to get something sorted, it's not like it's sneaking up on them and they get caught out.

Think about it, try to think from the other point of view and not just your own. Football doesn't work around your interests. Also, understand, it's FIFA making the moved for Winter, there has not been anything come from QFA about moving it, if there is, can you show me the evidence which only you appear to have.

Please, please, please show me Qatar's request to move to Winter.

13. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Qatar World Cup committee won't ever make such a request. Because their legal team knows the ramifications better than tools like Platini and Valcke. Bid rigging is a form of racketeering, its highly illegal. If FIFA changes that bid tender all hell is going to break loose. By not making the request, Qatar can then also sue FIFA when everyone else does for changing the bid document.

14. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    That's right.

The one thing that appears clear from all this is that.

1. Qatar have never been found guilty of buying the hosting rights, I don't think anyone has ever really challenged them and if anyone was to now, then it would appear weird on the timing coinciding with winter switch....so, whether people like it or not, it seems like that ship has gone.

2. If FIFA move the tournament, then you do get the counter sue from Qatar. Qatar appear to be wanting to pay what ever they have to to host, so you could bet your bottom dollar for all this talk of breakaways, it could actually be Qatar who does the breakaway and 'pays' nations to break with them, just so they can have their moment in the sun.

The thing this world cup is doing best though is 'breaking things'. It might be breaking the game for good reasons so that it can move on and regenerate itself or it might be splitting world football altogether, and I don't like that concept of the world game being split, maybe others of elite leagues do.

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    1) Nobody gives a rats ass about when "You would prefer it to be played"

2) European leagues know no such thing...April is when all the top Euro leagues are in the their run in to the various titles....not to mention the business end of a little tournament you may have heard of....The Champions League....

M and Bubba1971 repped this.
  16. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While technically true, the ethics investigation at FIFA is still very much open and continuing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/so...hics-investigation-russia-qatar-world-cup.ap/

17. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    1. Thanks for not giving a rats ass but replying anyway!

2. Europe should know, ignorance if they don't know. So, at least we know your in favour of disrupting in the middle of campaigns rather than adjusting the calendar at the of the season. I would have thought it's easier to move the calendars to finish in March rather than disrupt right in the middle.

18. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you finish in March if you don't disrupt the rest of the schedule? Magic?

20. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Construction is an inherently risky business, but what is appalling is the vast majority of these deaths were preventable. Young otherwise healthy men go to sleep and never wake up and it is no mystery why they are dying. What's more appalling is the organizers have only paid lip service to address this issue and the ITUC projects more workers will die than the number of players who play in the tournament.

At the current annual rate of 185 deaths per year, that's 1,480 lives over the next 8 years. Add that to the 382 that have already died and that's a total of 1,862 lives. No I don't seriously think it'll ever get to that point, but how many more people have to die before something is done to improve the horrid living and working conditions of the workers building stadia and infrastructure in Qatar so the rest of us can be entertained?

21. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summer, Winter, who cares at this point. Over three hundred people have died from one country in less than two years. This is deplorable. Are there similar statistics for thus years and previous World Cups? It would put this in a horrible light. This is just plain wrong and all work needs to stop until it is fixed. I love the sport but do not want it to be played on the backs of so many dead people.

22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Can you not think?
    Finish one month early, start one month early. Wouldn't you prefer that rather than a 3 month break in the middle of the season.

23. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    These deaths aren't world cup related deaths though. They just happen to be deaths in a country that will host the world cup.

Every newspaper article refers to the World Cup when in fact these deaths have nothing to do with the world cup because nothing has even started in the construction of world cup stadia yet. Just because they die making a road doesn't mean its a world cup death.

24. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, it would be good to see comparative numbers by country and dollars spent (or hours worked) on construction. I would be interested to see where Qatar falls on a scale like that.

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...and I would think it a lot easier to overturn the ridiculous decision to award the world cup to f'in Qatar....provable or not, everyone this side of you knows that corruption, bribes and vote buying played a huge part in this nut case decision in the first place.