Q49: Indiana Hoosiers 2017

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Apr 30, 2017.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    who picked michigan to win the league going into sunday? i fully expected maryland to beat them and claim a share of the title. michigan beating them at home left me stupefied.

onward to sunday. the 4:00 kick off is too late for baby girl so we won't be making the trip to bloomington unfortunately. if we beat penn state, the 2:30 kick in westfield is doable next friday if the weather cooperates.

2. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Game moved to 1pm, supposedly because of weather. Stream at 1pm, BTN delayed broadcast at 4pm.

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Do we know anything about toye's or muse's or even dorsey's mls affiliations? Should we be worried about losing them over the winter?

4. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dorsey has no MLS affiliation, although he was overseas last year to train with two clubs.

5. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We beat the tar out of OSU, maintain our undefeated record, ... and drop a notch in the RPI.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So what to make of this Indiana team? The only undefeated team in the country heading into the NCAA Tournament, but, failed to win either the Big Ten regular seasons or conference championships.

7. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    They should be a top-4 seed, along with Wake and UNC. Not sure who's going to get the 4th.

8. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    we were unlucky not to score today, but that's the second time this season we had a chance to win a game to win a trophy and didn't get it done.

OverseasView and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, it certainly wasn't our best game. In the middle of the first half UW started to bunker. I'm not sure they got inside our 18 more than once or twice the rest of the game. It became clear they were playing for the draw and, despite that, we outshot them w/ 8-2 SOG and 11-5 corners. Their keeper is good and kept them in it with a great save in the second half. I think our youth is showing a little bit. Lots of press was given to our clean sheet record, but we have recently struggled to score against seasoned defenses.

That said, this brings up a troubling trend for tournament games in general. It appears more and more teams are simply playing for the draw and the coin flip that is PKs. There is mention of the few goals scored in recent College Cups in another thread. It looks like the same trend in conference tourneys.

We simply have to find a way to get the first goal, despite these tactics. Once we've "opened up the game," we'll be able to use our skill and speed to greater advantage.

BRF

OverseasView repped this.
  10. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Phew! A good game with a good result: IU 2 - UNH 1.

We did open up the game in the 10th minute on a nice goal by Thomas, assisted by Buckmaster. We may or may not have opened up the game, but UNH had a lot of urgency and didn't bunker at all. They did seem to play quite a bit over the top and, as our team has done all season, we were able to get back with numbers when they did.

Moore put away a deserved PK in the early stages of the second half (Moore to Glass, who got taken down). It was close, but probably the right call; why the defender didn't get a red card is beyond me.

This further galvanized UNH and I could see why they got to the 3rd round. They had an urgency that I wish our boys could muster game in and game out. Unfortunately for them, their finishing was somewhat poor. They did score a nice goal after a foul on the wing. The free kick was headed in mostly because we played a very poor, passive zonal marking for the cross. Absolutely nobody in red moved to the ball.

Gutman did had a cannon of a shot in the 82nd minute from the left that, although it went off the post, was actually well saved by the UNH keeper. I was right behind him when he hit it.

In the end, it wasn't our best game nor was it the worst. UNH out-shot us, but ours were of a higher quality. On to a more familiar and less international opponent on Friday!

BRF

stphnsn and OverseasView repped this.
  11. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i was working "christmas in the park" during the match, but i followed on twitter as i could. i never thought they'd play on a saturday when i signed up to work. i was all about keeping my sundays clear. live and learn. survive and advance.

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Fitballer and fknbuflobo repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    August 18th, baby!

BigRedFootie repped this.
  14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Funny, I've been saying that every year about my team! Hope springs eternal.

15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    This was a well played game by both teams. MSU is tough and their GK is outstanding. He made a couple of saves during regulation that few, if any, other NCAA GKs could make. We obviously had a slow start, giving up a goal in the first two minutes of the game, but we came on strong after that. For the most part, we dominated in regulation, although MSU did have one excellent opportunity which Muse saved. We were also a little banged up. Lillard got smacked in the head by one of our own and had to go out but came back during OT.

Both teams were fairly tired during OT and it showed. Defenses lapsed but the offenses weren't sharp, either. The happy saga of the PKs has been documented in another thread. Suffice it to say that Muse was the hero and we finally came out on top in a game that went to PKs!

There was a huge crowd for the game - standing room only. Lines were 20-30 deep at the ticket booths. I'm sure there were more than 5,400 at the game. Of course, it didn't hurt that the athletic dept picked up the cost of the students' tickets.

On to Talen Energy Stadium! Got my tix! Tailgate preps are ramping up. I'll let you know where when I find out.

BRF

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Just found out that IU is the visiting side in the semis despite being the higher seed. Not happy.
    On a lighter note, I believe the IU tailgate will be located on Toyota Plaza just west of the stadium. Promises to be a good one. IU Alumni Assoc. is chipping in and it seems they have extra cash because somebody didn't go to a bowl game... ;)

17. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Oh, and no blocks of tix have been set aside for the participating schools. In addition, IU's team has been assigned a hotel with no discount rate. Cost? $440/room/night. The NCAA really dropped the ball on this one.

18. SBZipfan

SBZipfan Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    That makes no sense! Are you sure? I'm not seeing this info on the ncaa site ...

fknbuflobo repped this.
  19. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i'm not able to go. momma doesn't want to do another 10 hour ride with baby after we just drove out to DC, and no one else wants to go with me. we're making cheesesteaks for dinner friday before the game. bring home a trophy, BRF.

20. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    This is what I was told by the rep for Phil Union group sales, in charge of ticket operations for the Cup.

21. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We'll try our best! Also pretty sure we'll win the tailgate. After last game, T. Yeagley told us, "I want to win the tailgate before we win the game." We're on it!

22. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Army/Navy Football in town. One of the biggest hotel weekends of the year in Philly.

23. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Is it not the NCAA picking the bill for the travel costs of the championship?

24. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Think he means no hotels for friends and families...

25. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, the IU office was trying to find cheaper accommodations. I doubt they'd do that if NCAA was footing the bill.