Q49: Indiana Hoosiers 2017

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Apr 30, 2017.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    st. clair stood on his head to keep maryland in the game. i forgot to set my dvr so i only caught the second half and ot, but it was a fun one to watch.

2. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Sheesh. So much for "#1." We looked like crap. Started pretty well, scored a nice goal, but then we got VERY complacent. We kept passing the ball to players in blue. Their goal was okay, but was the result of a keeper error. We also started trying to play over the top, but one problem - they wanted the ball in the air more than we did. That strategy simply didn't work and the ball came right back at us. UM's right mid/forward is very good - excellent pace and beat Gutman time and again. In fact, that's what led to UM's goal.

<sigh> On to Evanston.

BRF

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it was pretty disappointing after the way they played at maryland, but we lost on a freshman goalkeeper's error. you're going to have growing pains when you play as many young kids as we are this year. we created a lot of chances, but we just didn't finish them. cory thomas should have had a couple goals for sure, and dorsey could have been more efficient.

a draw at home in conference makes it tough to win the conference. they'll have to step up if they want to win the regular season.

hopefully kleyn's injury isn't anything serious.

and you're right about michigan's #7. he was fun to watch. he could be scary good if he develops well.

4. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    BTN+/NeuLion is quickly becoming the GameCrapper of sports streaming. The only way to see the IU vs Northwestern game on 9/17 game is via BTN+, so I ponied up my monthly subscription money. The game starts at 4:30pm EDT, but BTN+ lists it at 7pm! Every other game I can find seems to be streaming live, but for some reason this one is not (either that or they just have the game time listed incorrectly). That's not what I paid for. I asked about this using their "live chat" feature, but closed it after 35 minutes waiting for an answer. Their live chat was dead. This isn't the first issue I've had with them.

OverseasView repped this.
  5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    sorry to hear that, BRF. is there a phone number? call and bitch, and they may refund your money or comp you for the month.

2-0 win in evanston this afternoon. i just saw the score on twitter so i have no idea how we played. toye and cory thomas scored the goals.

6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    They finally figured it out with a few mins left in the first half. My dogs could've done a better job. Ultimately I found the NU audio feed and it sufficed until BTN+ got their shit together.

7. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We played well. Corey with an assist and a goal.

8. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    rutgers come to town tonight with their 1-6-1 record and an RPI of 60. head scratcher there. i hope we aren't looking ahead to tuesday's ND game. we need to kick some butt tonight to keep up in the B1G.

9. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Butt was kicked.

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    that's an understatement. i don't remember the last time we scored 5 against anyone let alone a conference opponent.

11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Rutgers looked very demoralized after we got 2 goals up. They just went through the motions after that.

12. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We played well, certainly well enough to win. Very nice goal finished by Panchot. We did bunker at times during the second half but, all in all, it was a very nice team effort. Another clean slate. On to Santa Clara.

13. Blanchflower

Blanchflower New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 17, 2017
    4-0 at the half. I know IU is ranked 1 or 2 in the polls, but what the hell happened to Santa Clara. At one point, it was a team you worried about when you saw them on the schedule. Not so much in 2017...

14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah, they used to be formidable. A while back they came to IU in the NCAA's and beat us on our own field. This team had some decent offense, but we are pretty hard to score on. Their defense simply wasn't up to the task and we got around the outside, threaded through the middle and got some easy goals.

15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We dominated an over matched Aces team. Our initial strategy was to go over the top to Toye and, although it worked once, we were more effective getting around the corners. Glass had several excellent crosses, but nobody got on the other end. Toye should have had a hat trick. Hyacenth had trouble finishing, but Warr put one between the wickets on a counter to finish off the Aces. There was yet another beautiful Mehl free kick that was well saved by the Aces' keeper.

We were running hard and switching constantly, especially in the second half. You never knew who would be where, left to right and top to bottom. That shows that both the coaches and the players are comfortable doing it and trust that the players can fill in for each other. A lot of good anticipation when we were on defense. Lillard had an excellent game and was all over the pitch.

All of this with us four players down - Rennicks (cleared to practice now), Kleyn (knee), Gutjahr (ankle), and Dorsey (U18 Nats).

Back to B1G action @ Penn State.

BRF

stphnsn repped this.
  16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, it wasn't pretty, but it was a win. IU beat PSU 1-0 on a Spencer Glass goal in the first half. SOG about 15-2. We bunkered a little in the 2nd half, but otherwise played well. Life is hard on the road. Back to Armstrong for UK.

stphnsn repped this.
  17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    3 points on the road in the B1G. we'll take it however it came.

18. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    We played pretty well. At least, well enough to win. Our offense was potent and efficient. Of our 5 shots on goal, 2 went in. Both goals were nicely executed - coming in from the wings with good service and people got on the end of them. Mehl's shot was a cracker and the keeper didn't have a chance. Hyacenth's shot, under duress, sort of rolled in past the keeper. But they all count!

Interestingly, UK had more shots on goal, 6, than we did. Four of those were fairly weak and easily saved by Muse. The two others, however, required two very nice saves by Muse. Although I don't like to see Muse tested that severely, it's good to know that he can come up big when we allow shots to get through. We're now up to 7 straight clean sheets and 698 minutes without conceding a goal.

It'll be a busy week. We're back to B1G action hosting OSU on Sunday, then we go to Butler on Wednesday, then we host Wisconsin the following Saturday.

OverseasView and stphnsn repped this.
  19. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    IU gets back up to #2 in the B1G with a win over OSU. We were quicker and looked pretty sharp. We had 8 SOG to OSU's 1. Muse made a nice save on their one shot. We had other chances - kind of caught the crossbar once and Mehl uncharacteristically skied a free kick from exactly where he's most deadly. All of the midfield, Gutman, and Toye were very effective, Toye getting the two goals from nice service (he should have had a hat trick!). Although they don't show up in the stats, I thought Thomas and Glass had very good games as well. Rennicks and Kleyn got into the game. Rennicks has LOTS of energy, but I think it'll take some more minutes for him to get used to the D1 NCAA type of play. Kleyn tweaked his knee again and left under his own power, but it isn't thought to be serious.

Highlights:

On to Butler and then Senior Night against Wisconsin on Sat. There will be a dedication of the tailgate site honoring its co-founder, Dennis Fadeski, before the Wisconsin game.

stphnsn repped this.
  20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    thanks for the updates. i haven't been able to get to a game yet this fall. i was coaching 3 nights a week, and we have a 5 month old so that complicates my schedule. here's hoping for an early afternoon weekend kickoff in the B1G tournament or the ncaas so the whole family can make it down for a game.

it looks like the butler game should be available on facebook live so that's better than following on twitter.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  21. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it was a disappointing draw at butler last night. i felt like we should have bee able to create more chances, but they did a good job of keeping us bottled up. butler has been a tough place for us to play, and now the last 5 matches against them have gone to overtime which is remarkable. we kept the shutout streak going so that's something. it was good to see kleyn back on the field after his injury too. onward to wisconsin at home this weekend.

22. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Bunkering done well...

23. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    toye saves the day on senior night. great goal.

i'm also happy to see them recover after giving up the goal. when you have a long streak going, you always wonder how a team will react when it's broken.

24. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    First - I HATE OT! That said, IU played well. We had a favorable SOG ratio. The game probably should have been 1-0 in regulation, but each side had a serious goalkeeping error. Nice shot by Toye. At first I wondered if he did it on purpose but, after watching again, it's clear he recognized the UW keeper's poor positioning and went for it.

Going forward - this is a big weekend with the top 4 teams playing each other. If we win at MSU we win the B1G outright. It appears to me that the worst we can do is finish third. Let's not let that happen. Win it, host the quarters, finish it off at Grand Park!

BRF

OverseasView repped this.
  25. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Did I say I hate OT? Hate ties even more. It was, though, a hard-played game on both sides. Neither of the PKs was deserved, but they canceled each other out. Thomas had a rebound shot saved off the line by a defender. Lillard had a golden opportunity on beautiful service but headed it wide. MSU had a nice shot that glanced off the top of the crossbar. So we tied.

I guess it was in the stars for the surging Wolverines to upset the slumping Terps and win the B1G.

On to the tourney.