PV Contract Extension

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, May 7, 2018.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can get pretty frustrated with him due to his inflexibility both with players and with how he approaches the game, but he still has done some great stuff. And this year has started rather promisingly. I'm happy with more Pete.

mschofield and Sachsen repped this.
  3. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Had to get him locked up before Arsenal came calling.

xamers and Sachsen repped this.
  4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are always going to be things to criticize about any coach. But overall you’d be a fool not to see how lucky SKC are to have Vermes. I like a stable and generally successful organization and that’s what PV has established.

The alternatives are to change coaches constantly (no bueno) or stick with a bad coach too long (like Olson at DCU).

I’ve said it before, but I have always liked teams that have stable solid leadership like PV and SKC. My closest examples from my personal sports fandom are Bobby Cox’s Braves teams and Jerry Sloan’s Utah Jazz. (I grew up in Idaho.). He reminds me a lot of those two and I’m glad he’s sticking around to set coaching records here.

mschofield and vividox repped this.
  5. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He's a good small market coach. Sometimes the nickel and diming leads to 2017 results when the parts don't come together (scoring). Other times he's shown an impressive ability to get more from less. SKC could do much, much worse. He understands how the organization wants to operate and is in line with ownership.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good interview posted on FB and Twitter between PV and Bukaty.

(Incidentally, I think Bukaty does just fine as a color guy, especially with the off-the-field interviews. But can we PLEASE get a different pbp guy? He’s awful in that role.)

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There aren't a lot of managers in the global game both willing and capable of doing what he's done, build a constistent winner in a top league despite consistently being outspent.
    I don't know that he's at the level of a Tata or a Bradley, then again, I don't know that he's not. What he's done with SKC is incredibly impressive. I do believe he's the primary cause for the angst we feel about him: Year in, year out, his teams have shown signs and flashes of being quite special, yet have stumbled and fell short.
    Personally, I love the way this team plays. I wish we had the will or wonka to push over the line to tippy top, but at the very least he always puts the team in a position to break our hearts.
    That said, this season, with this team, in what is now a weakened West with quite a bit of mediocrity against whom we get to play twice, it would be a shame not to see him make a huge signing this summer. This year we have potential SS winner written in almost glowing letters on us.
    Whatever, there is good reason to continue to trust in Vermes. just in Vermes.