"Put a lid on it!": Wizards Stadium Thread v.08.03

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kopiteinkc, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Before everybody freaks out, this may not really delay the completion of the stadium by opening day 2010.

Remember that Vermes said end-of-September-ish for the start of site excavation, so it really wouldn't have started earlier than that anyway. Also, perhaps, there is a desire to make a bit of a splash by being here in K.C. for the meeting. I really haven't any idea, but I refuse to be discouraged by this, and I really don't see any concrete reason to think that anything has been harmed by putting off the meeting.

Obviously, we also don't know that it hasn't been harmed, but.... I guess I'm just saying that if the plans are in place to begin, maybe we don't need a significant amount of time to pass between approval and starting -- maybe just a few days.

2. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, perhaps they will vote by hitting the demolition button.

Would be fun!!!

3. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    this close to the election having a face at the event to remind the people what progress they have seen through would be beneficial to any incumbent.

4. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hilarious. did anyone honestly not see this coming? anyone want to take odds that "it" doesn't get pushed back again?

5. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is getting _really_ annoying. It just makes me laugh about the whole expedite of the city stuff... hope nobody had to do too much to get that accomplished.

6. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City
    Amen and rep.

Like I said, this development is frustrating. But I can't believe that Lt. Governor Kinder, running for re-election and mining for votes in western Missouri, would schedule his Board to come to Kansas City and then royally and publicly screw us over. It just wouldn't make sense.

7. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I'm sure they would just backload our schedule like they did with Bridgeview in 06.

Are you sure they can complete the rat abatement in that timespan? :p

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, and it's what happened with LA with the HDC.

9. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I've heard that the rat problem is actually not that bad....and that thieves have already stripped the inside of the mall almost bare. So, that should speed things up a bit :D

10. Goalieo

Goalieo Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am worried about some bs lawsuit then the final approval of funds. Let's pray it does not happen.

11. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about anybody else, but I don't want to start 2010 with 10 straight road games. I am still hopeful that they can get started within a week or two after this FINALLY gets done and that we have two mild winters after that. Didn't I see somewhere that Lane4 already has taken possession of the land? Why can't they go ahead and get started on demolition now? It's not like they are going to keep the rat mall standing anyway, now that they own it.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to see us do that either, but it's the pattern of the league when teams have stadiums that will open early in the season, you have a long road trip to start the season.

I believe that the money from the state is the money for demolition or something like that, and that's why they can't start yet. At least that's what I thought I heard. Why they can't just reallocate money, I don't know.

13. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City
  14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Wednesday, MDFB Executive Director Bob Miserez, said the developers will need to provide more detailed information before a final decision is made on the funding.

You have got to be kidding me. What don't they already know? It almost sounds like they can turn this down if they aren't satisifed with the answer provided.

16. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City
    Take a look at the minutes from the June meeting of the Finance Development Board (page 8-12) for the questions the Board had about the stadium project: http://www.mdfb.org/upload/6-17-08_minutes.pdf

"Vice Chairman Starr commented that it would be helpful if the Board could receive a breakdown of what the [tax] credits are to be used form and in what phase they are being used. Mr. Langenkamp replied they certainly could provide that."

That doesn't sound too complicated to me. But, technically, the Board CAN indeed turn down the application if they don't like the answers they get.

Read on for something hopeful...

"Chariman Kinder [the lieutenant governor, for you non-Missourians] commented that for 35 years the state has watched business campus developments like this go just across the line to Johnson county, Kansas, and this would be a chance for Missouri to hit a home run."

17. equalizer

equalizer New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Kansas City
    I imagine no one wants to fork out any money for anything until the TIF comes through.

18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My exact thoughts. WTF?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty much lays everything out:

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2008/08/25/story2.html?b=1219636800^1688218

don't ******** us over, finance board!

21. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    compliments of STpassion in mls:n/a

23. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he started a thread dedicated to the topic. That thread will be fun to keep an eye on..........

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we'll still have to wait til the 30th as well.

The Economic Development department is the one that meets on the 30th.

25. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is making me sick

Now this week we get this information couples with Philadelphia's Stadium news and RBNY